GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Equinox LT and am pondering what kind of cross rails to purchase. The factory rails seem just fine, but it is not clear if there is any type of locking mechanism, or how prone to theft bikes and racks etc are when on the roof. Is it possible to remove the roof rails all in one piece if there is a bike rack on there or two? I intend to be carrying some v expensive mountain and downhill bikes up there, and am concerned about the whole thing getting slid off the roof and thrown into a pickup. Also, I live in the city, so I am also concerned about the bike racks and cross rails themselves being stolen, even while bikeless. The bike racks include a lock, but if the cross rails can all be slide out in one piece, that means nothing. Aftermarket option seem to at least offer locking cores etc.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I examined the way that cross bars slide into the parallel rails, and it appears that it would be difficult to remove them once another piece that locks and connects the two cross rails to one another is attached (e.g. a bike rack or cargo box). Each end of the bar must be inserted into a small box insert towards the rear of each parallel rail. This requires each rail to be turned to slight angle in order to navigate the edge of the box. So, any rack that prevents the cross rail from being turned to an angle, once slid off the rail and into that small box, would be relatively secure. Or at least as secure as those little tiny locks that aftermarket racks offer. A cargo box that covers the levers at the ends of the cross bars would also be secure.

But, I think that the bars themselves are vulnerable to theft, and a rack that does not connect the cross rails to one another (e.g. ski rack, or kayak rack) would also be vulnerable. But I would love some confirmation of my conjecture by someone that owns the factory cross rails.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Unfortunately, if we only had Ski/Snowboard attachments, they would then still be vulnerable to theft.

That being said - I highly doubt people would go around stealing bare cross rails

I wonder now though, if Thule or Yakima would have a "universal" lock for factory rails.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
We sell these products at work but we do not see much in the way of theft with customers. BUt in this world anything is possible.

Might be a good product in having locks for these things.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: Re: Security of Factory Roof Rails

I think it would be difficult trio get the cross rails off. If you had something attached to them then you could take a bike chain /cable and wrap it thru the side rails. Those aren't coming off. Like anything else it is all in how bad somebody wants to take something. I regularly use metal cables to lock my trailer thru the wheels and around the axle.

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
Re: Re: Security of Factory Roof Rails

Dd said:
I think it would be difficult trio get the cross rails off.
Not really - about a 2 minute job - 1 minute per rail. Honest ! And time left over to crack open a beer. :cheers:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Security of Factory Roof Rails

RIT333 said:
Not really - about a 2 minute job - 1 minute per rail. Honest ! And time left over to crack open a beer. :cheers:
If it is just the rails then yes I can see that but if you had another rack or something attached to them then I don't think it would be easy to get them off together. Dont they have to pivot or twist to get them out?

·
Registered
9,939 Posts

Dd said:
If it is just the rails then yes I can see that but if you had another rack or something attached to them then I don't think it would be easy to get them off together. Dont they have to pivot or twist to get them out?
Nope, there is a plastic cover that snaps out, and then the rails just slide out the back of the vehicle. You could probably also remove the attached items in one step !

·
Registered
2 Posts

Rit said:
Nope, there is a plastic cover that snaps out, and then the rails just slide out the back of the vehicle. You could probably also remove the attached items in one step !
I have the factory cross bars on a 2013, and they are easy to install/remove. I was considering putting a torx or allen screw on either rail to prevent them from being removed (unless someone has that tool on hand).
Also, there are only 4 or so places to snap the cross bars in place. Has anyone drilled additional holes in the rails to lock the bars in place?
Anyone find a good cargo box to install on an equinox? I ordered the sportrack horizon 16 and it was too long (bent the antennae at the rear quite a bit).

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dunesrunner08 said:
Thule makes a kit that goes over the side rails and locks... the factory cross rails are a much cleaner look, but the thule setup is a more secure option...
Unfortunately this didn't work for my needs because of the way the factory side rails are designed. The Thule (or Yakima's similar product) cross rails that would work need to be strapped around the side rail. The openings on the factory side rails limit the location of the cross rails and would be too close together for many applications.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ralphalph said:
Unfortunately this didn't work for my needs because of the way the factory side rails are designed. The Thule (or Yakima's similar product) cross rails that would work need to be strapped around the side rail. The openings on the factory side rails limit the location of the cross rails and would be too close together for many applications.
This.
Also - IIRC even though they are lockable - they are only held on by straps

PLUS - the cost of the aftermarket cross rails are actually more expensive than OEM ones

1 - 15 of 15 Posts