GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I did a search for "seat covers" and came up with topics mostly on cargo liners and floor mats, but if I missed something please feel free to re-direct me :).

As I wait for my Equinox I have been preparing for my Beagle to ride in the backseat. He used to always ride on my lap in the car, but I want him to stay put in the back seat to avoid driving distractions and I want him to be safe in the event of an accident. I bought him a seat belt this weekend (it even matched the brownstone interior!) and a dog bed for him to sit on so that he doesn't scratch up the seat BUT, I am still slightly paranoid and I would like to find a seat cover that fastens to the headrest and covers both the seat bottom and the seat back. I only want one for the side that he will be sitting on, I don't see a need to have one that covers the entire backseat since 1. I want to admire my new leather and 2. I don't want to have to move it or anything for people riding in the back with him.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this matter? Thank you in advance for your help!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know you only want to cover one side, but maybe the best solution is the Scout's Seat Saver at this link, folded in half so both loops for the front seat head rest go over one head rest and the same for the back seat loops.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/departments/truck-car/seat-protection/seat-protection.aspx?feature=P8161-C70079-L2&processor=content

Here is a cheaper version of the same thing that could be folded to just cover one seat.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MD58MA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p199_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=14KA7ZWG2GTHXAB1KWK2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a neat site, thanks for the info gsuter. Perhaps it might be less hassle to just go with something like the bucket seat saver that is listed since then I wouldn't have to do any folding and deal with potential bulkiness, and from the pictures it doesn't look like it necessarily needs to be a "bucket" seat that it covers :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you think he will be able to reach the back of the front seat with his paws? If so the larger cover may be better. After seeing the pictures you could probably go to a fabric store, buy a little fabric and make a one seat version that drapes between the front and rear head rest.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohh I see what you are saying now, and thanks for the concern about his paws! BUT, I actually got him a seatbelt, so he will be staying put and shouldn't be able to reach the front seat. I will most likely have the seat pushed back as far as it can go most of the time too, especially if I get a cargo liner. I do like your idea of just making my own though! That way would probably be cheaper and I could choose the fabric/pattern/color that I prefer!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Been hauling dogs in various vehicles for a lot of year. We never did find the perfect solution for covering a seat. One thing we did learn is that no matter which way you go with covering it "stuff" makes its way thru it to the seat. With the Nox we have the rear seat folded down and the head rests removed. Then I cut a piece of blue tarp material to the shape of the rear area and then covered that with a cut piece of indoor/outdoor carpet. Had to tuck the carpet in wherever we could because it will float with the windows open. Our Golden Retrieve is in and out of the water alot and the tarp material keep the fabric protected. Good luck on whatever you end up with.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TerryG, i suppose you are right, it is pretty hard to avoid stuff like that completely. I can come to accept a little dirt here and there as that is easily vacuumed out. I think the main thing I want to protect against is scratches. My dog tends to really "grab on" to the seats when I go around a corner or stop, so he would be digging his claws into the seat. I believe a cover would do fine for this, plus, I think he might feel more safe and secure once he starts riding with a seatbelt and therefore will feel less need to dig in!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts