GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Seat covers

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Islander 
#1 ·
I have never had leather seats before and was wondering if I will need seat covers in the summer. I've heard stories about burning your legs when it gets really hot out. My wife says definately not, she doesn't want to cover up the beautiful leather seats.
My Harley has a leather seat and boy can it get hot when the sun is out. I usually throw my jacket over the it.
Anyone have first hand knowledge on this subject? And what do you think?

#2 ·
I've had leather in my past 3 vehicles and I've never had an issue with being burned by the leather while in shorts in the summer. I think you'll be ok!

#3 ·
I really doubt it will be much of a problem. First of all, these cars have some really good dark tint on most of the windows which should reduce some inside heating. Don't know what color your vehicle is, but that will have some impact. I live in FLA and can honestly say I have had little problem with leather seats in the past. My BMW is black with black leather and even that car presents no problem...very dark tint on windows by the way. And the A/C seems to work VERY well but haven't had much use for it yet!

#4 ·
Leather gets hot, but like the others said, never to the point of burning or causing injury. If you're wearing fairly short shorts, then it can definitely be hot enough to cause discomfort and make you get in a little more slowly. Generally speaking, not really an issue.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. Since I never wear shorts, I'm not going to worry about it. I was just thinking about my wife. I think womens skin is a little more sensitive then mens. Hope that doesn't start a gender war. Wasn't intended to.

#6 ·
methodfilter said:
I've had leather in my past 3 vehicles and I've never had an issue with being burned by the leather while in shorts in the summer. I think you'll be ok!
Come to Phoenix and we can show you some leather "burns". It's not fun. For added insanity, grab a chrome door handle in June. You can blister your hand if not paying attention.

#8 ·
I went to Phoenix a few years back for a Grand Am race. Couldn't bear to stand out in the sun and ended up feeling like I had sand all over me....not sand, just salt crystals from sweat drying as soon as it broke thru my skin. I CAN understand how you'd burn your butt, arms, legs, privates, etc. on leather there!! Don't know what the answer is in Phoenix.

#9 ·
GARYD said:
I have never had leather seats before and was wondering if I will need seat covers in the summer. I've heard stories about burning your legs when it gets really hot out. My wife says definately not, she doesn't want to cover up the beautiful leather seats.
My Harley has a leather seat and boy can it get hot when the sun is out. I usually throw my jacket over the it.
Anyone have first hand knowledge on this subject? And what do you think?
Thats why it's perforated leather...breathes, and is cooler to the touch when hot and warmer to the touch in winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.