·
Registered
28 Posts
Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: DEC 15, 2010
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V623000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: SEAT BELTS:FRONT:BUCKLE ASSEMBLY

Summary:
GENERAL MOTORS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 CADILLAC SRX, CHEVROLET EQUINOX AND GMC TERRAIN VEHICLES. THE DRIVER AND /OR FRONT PASSENGER SAFETY BELT BUCKLE ANCHOR MAY FRACTURE AND SEPARATE NEAR THE SEAT ATTACHMENT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.
Consequence:
THE SAFETY BELT SYSTEM MAY NOT RESTRAIN THE OCCUPANT(S) AS DESIGNED AND COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF INJURY.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL MODIFY THE PASSENGER AND/OR THE DRIVER SAFETY BELT BUCKLES AS NECESSARY. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE JANUARY 18, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CADILLAC AT 1-866-982-2339, CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, GMC AT 1-866-996-9463 AND AT THE OWNER CENTER AT WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM.
Notes:
GM SAFETY RECALL NO. 100370. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does anyone have a photograph of the new/fixed buckle setup, versus what the old one looked like? Or can someone describe the differences or another easy way to tell if one has the new design installed? Too lazy to call the dealer... Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
reako said:
Does anyone have a photograph of the new/fixed buckle setup, versus what the old one looked like? Or can someone describe the differences or another easy way to tell if one has the new one? Too lazy to call the dealer... Thanks.
Just had mine done. It took about 40 minutes and the service guy said they had to bend something to fix. must be to make it stronger.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had mine fixed right as the recall was coming out.. The truck was in for a oil change and they said they were going to fix it for me.. Basically where the seat belt connects to the car on the floor that anchor can break or is broken. Mine was not broken however to make sure it wont break they had to reposition the anchor and thats it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had my recall performed and to be honest cannot see any difference in the seat belts. Why anyone wants to have pictures of the fix I have no idea.

·
Registered
149 Posts
mdh4psu said:
I had my recall performed and to be honest cannot see any difference in the seat belts. Why anyone wants to have pictures of the fix I have no idea.
I wanted the pics. The idea is to be able to visually inspect my belt anchors to determine if they have been updated or not.

·
Registered
67 Posts
" GENERAL MOTORS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 CADILLAC SRX, CHEVROLET EQUINOX AND GMC TERRAIN VEHICLES. THE DRIVER AND /OR FRONT PASSENGER SAFETY BELT BUCKLE ANCHOR MAY FRACTURE AND SEPARATE NEAR THE SEAT ATTACHMENT IN A VEHICLE CRASH."If you own one of these, and haven't had it back to the dealer, I'd guess it's not fixed...

·
Registered
149 Posts
buickx said:
" GENERAL MOTORS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 CADILLAC SRX, CHEVROLET EQUINOX AND GMC TERRAIN VEHICLES. THE DRIVER AND /OR FRONT PASSENGER SAFETY BELT BUCKLE ANCHOR MAY FRACTURE AND SEPARATE NEAR THE SEAT ATTACHMENT IN A VEHICLE CRASH."If you own one of these, and haven't had it back to the dealer, I'd guess it's not fixed...
I do own one of those. Just bought it a couple weeks ago. Just wondered if they would have likely fixed it when the took delivery. For instance if they look up the VIN's, see the recall, perform the fix, then sell the vehicle. Especially considering it's a potential safety issue. I also wonder at what point GM fixed the problem and stopped shipping out vehicles with the issue. Either way I'll be contacting the dealer to verify. Just wanted to see if there was a way to tell without doing this.......

·
Registered
297 Posts
reako said:
I do own one of those. Just bought it a couple weeks ago. Just wondered if they would have likely fixed it when the took delivery. For instance if they look up the VIN's, see the recall, perform the fix, then sell the vehicle. Especially considering it's a potential safety issue. I also wonder at what point GM fixed the problem and stopped shipping out vehicles with the issue. Either way I'll be contacting the dealer to verify. Just wanted to see if there was a way to tell without doing this.......
You may have bought it a couple weeks ago, but that doesn't define when it was built. It is likely the paper work has not caught up to you, assuming your vehicle needs the fix. If in doubt, call your dealer and he can check your VIN to see if yours need updated.

As a side note, I did have mine done last month. I dropped the car off so I can't say how long the procedure actually took. There is no visible difference that I can see. I do think that the seat belts are slightly easier to buckle now, but that could just be in my head. :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
reako said:
If you send me a private message with the last 8 of your VIN I can tell you if it's been recalled and if the repair has been done or not.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Here is what is done:

#10370A: Product Safety - Safety Belt Buckle Anchor Fracture - (Jan 4, 2011)

Subject: 10370A - Safety Belt Buckle Anchor Fracture

Models: 2011 Cadillac SRX

2011 Chevrolet Equinox

2011 GMC Terrain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Service Procedure in this bulletin has been revised to correct the model name in the second bulletin under Step 1. Please discard all copies of bulletin 10370, issued December 2010.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2011 model year Cadillac SRX, Chevrolet Equinox, and GMC Terrain. On some of these vehicles, the driver and/or front passenger safety belt buckle anchor may fracture and separate near the seat attachment in a vehicle crash. If this were to occur, the safety belt system may not restrain the occupant(s) as designed and could increase the risk of injury.

Correction
Dealers are to modify the passenger and, in some cases, the driver safety belt buckles.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2011 model year Cadillac SRX, Chevrolet Equinox, GMC Terrain vehicles.

All involved vehicles are identified by VIN in the Global Warranty Management System - Investigate Vehicle History (GMVIS2) Application. Dealership technicians should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is essential to routinely verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information
No parts are required for this recall.

Service Procedure
Determine which seat belt buckle(s) require rework.
• SRX - the driver and passenger seat belt buckles require rework. Proceed to Step 2.

• Equinox/Terrain - Determine the 11th character of the VIN (will be the number following the "B").

- If the 11th character of the VIN is " 1 " and the last 8 of the VIN is lower than B1147725, the driver and passenger seat belt buckles require rework.

- If the 11th character of the VIN is " 1 " and the last 8 of the VIN is equal to or greater than B1147725, only the passenger seat belt buckle requires rework. The driver seat belt buckle has already been reworked.

- If the 11th character of the VIN is " 6 " and the last 8 of VIN is lower than B6242515, the driver and passenger seat belt buckles require rework.

- If the 11th character of the VIN is " 6 " and the last 8 of the VIN is equal to or greater than B6242515, only the passenger seat belt buckle requires rework. The driver seat belt buckle has already been reworked.

Based on the determination of Step 1, remove the appropriate seat(s) from the vehicle. Refer to Front Seat Replacement in SI.

Note: The seat belt buckle assembly angle must be marked with a marker prior to removal so that the seat belt buckle assembly alignment is correct on reassembly.

Use a marker to highlight the edge of the seat belt buckle assembly to the seat frame. Refer to illustration.
Remove the seat belt buckle assembly and place it on a work bench or vise.

Using a hammer, bend the anti-rotation tab (1) on the seat belt buckle assembly. Ensure that the anti-rotation tab is bent down into the tab notch (B). Refer to the illustration.
Note: Use the seat buckle assembly orientation reference mark created in Step 3 to ensure that the seat belt buckle assembly is installed at the correct angle.

Re-install the seat belt buckle assemblies to the appropriate seat(s). Refer to Front Seat Belt Buckle Replacement in SI.
Install the seat(s). Refer to Front Seat Replacement in SI.

·
Registered
300 Posts
rick7343 said:
Anybody heard?
The GM guy I spoke to pulled my VIN number up and said there was no recalls on my Nox, so maybe all of the 2011 models aren't affected. Mine was built 12/3/2010.

·
Registered
378 Posts
So I wonder how that extra notch could actually cause injury? Anyone who understands this stuff?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My driver side seat belt stopped locking yesterday.... :mad:

Looks like they are eliminating the index tab.... Maybe it was causing the bracket to break if the seatbelt anchor tried to move during a crash.... This may allow it to turn on the anchor stud without breaking... It may need to move due to different occupant size,seat location,etc... (various seat belt angles would possible...)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts