GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.....just looking for some feedback. I have a 2011 4 cyl fwd equinox. 8000 miles on it. every day when I first start up the car and back out of the driveway I hear a loud scraping noise when i hit the brakes. it will continue down the road a very short distance when I brake for my first turn out of my street. then after a short distance i will hit the brakes and don't hear it any more for the rest of the driving time. so, it's just after starting up and backing out of driveway and a short distance then stops. of course, i took it to my dealer and left the car overnight so they could hear it when they started it up in the morning. And of course, i got the dreaded, "could not duplicate"......

The scraping noise happens every, single day with my car so I don't know how the dealer couldn't hear it the morning they started it up and drove it into the service bay. Anyway, i just got off the phone with my service director and he tells me that it is moisture build-up on the brake rotors and once the brake pads go over them a few times it will get the moisture and any other buildup off the rotors, which is what is causing the noise.

so, is this typical and do any of you have the same scraping noise every day when first driving your nox or terrain out of the driveway??? OR is my dealer trying to pull one over on me???? He insists this is what the scraping noise is but I have to tell you when I had my 2002 chevy trailblazer in the 10 years I owned it I never heard that noise before or any other vehicle i've ever owned.

any thoughts or feedback I would be grateful. thanks.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
I guess it depends on how humid the weather has been by you, but it makes sense. Maybe the dealer didn't hear it because he was driving forward, which uses the front brakes more, and you are in reverse, which uses the rear brakes more. Look in the morning to see if you see a slight glaze of rust on your rotors before driving. I know that when it rains a lot, my Maxima will make a scraping noise that leaves shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the feedback on the scraping noise.....i live about 10 blocks from the ocean in southeastern mass so it's probably a little more humidity in the air here especially since it's been a pretty warm winter here. so it makes sense. Just wanted to make sure the dealer wasn't trying to just ignore a potential problem. thanks again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My 2 cents.... didn't have a scraping sound, but I had a 2000 Pathfinder with brakes that would throw you through the window if you were not used to them. They were very "grabby".

Anyway, I took it in once because I thought my pads were worn all the way down because until I had been driving for like 20 minutes, they would squeal really loud when I would stop. And I mean it was embarrassing it was so loud!

Took it in and the pads weren't hardly worn at all. They said it was dust build-up. They cleaned them for me and sure enough, no more squealing for a while.

I say all that because I would have bet money I had metal hitting metal. Sounded awful. So they may be right about the humidity and moisture. The only way you can see if it is true is to be somewhere where the humidity is a lot less for several days. In my case, every time they cleaned them, they were fine. So I had to accept it really was dust/dirt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's just the pads rubbing on the surface rust that commonly forms on rotors. It does away once you apply the brakes a couple times. No worries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone.....just looking for some feedback. I have a 2011 4 cyl fwd equinox. 8000 miles on it. every day when I first start up the car and back out of the driveway I hear a loud scraping noise when i hit the brakes. it will continue down the road a very short distance when I brake for my first turn out of my street. then after a short distance i will hit the brakes and don't hear it any more for the rest of the driving time. so, it's just after starting up and backing out of driveway and a short distance then stops. of course, i took it to my dealer and left the car overnight so they could hear it when they started it up in the morning. And of course, i got the dreaded, "could not duplicate"......

The scraping noise happens every, single day with my car so I don't know how the dealer couldn't hear it the morning they started it up and drove it into the service bay. Anyway, i just got off the phone with my service director and he tells me that it is moisture build-up on the brake rotors and once the brake pads go over them a few times it will get the moisture and any other buildup off the rotors, which is what is causing the noise.

so, is this typical and do any of you have the same scraping noise every day when first driving your nox or terrain out of the driveway??? OR is my dealer trying to pull one over on me???? He insists this is what the scraping noise is but I have to tell you when I had my 2002 chevy trailblazer in the 10 years I owned it I never heard that noise before or any other vehicle i've ever owned.

any thoughts or feedback I would be grateful. thanks.
I have the same issue with my 2014 toyota camry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts