GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to swap out my four year old battery before taking it on a trip this summer after our lockdown. I had a battery failure on a previous trip in a remote area that was about five years old and I do not want a repeat. I do not have a scanner but have been wanting to get one for my vehicles. I also want to plug a memory saver into the diagnostic port to retain memory while the battery is disconnected. Is anybody here using a scanner that can also supply juice to the ECM?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I replaced my battery recently on my Equinox. I wanted to keep the settings while doing it, so I plugged one of those vehicle-to-vehicle jump starter devices in to the car (goes from power port in one car to the power port in the other.) Worked like a charm and kept power going to the vehicle even when the battery was out.

Are there any OBD-II scanners available that can supply power to the ECM? The only scanners I have ever seen draw power from the OBD-II port to do their thing.

We had a battery swapped at an auto parts store one time, and they plugged a jump pack into the OBD-II port to supply power to the car while they did the swap, but it wasn't a scanner.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I did search, however I did not see any that save the car's memory and have an ODB-II code scanner incorporated into them as well.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm not sure any of this is necessary. I changed the battery in my '11 two years ago and didn't lose any radio presets or retained memory functions.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I had the battery replaced in my Equinox a couple weeks ago.
None of the radio stations were lost.
Only one setting was lost, the speed limit sign in the DIC.
The compass had to re-calibrate by driving in a circle.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have seen the memory savers over at Amazon along with the readers. Since they plug into the same port, thought maybe a tool maker figured out how to combine the two functions. If anybody knew, I figured it would be somebody here. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts