GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a diagnostic/scan tool to use on my Terrain Diesel. I currently have accounts with a local snap on and Cornwell dealers, so if I could get it through them that would be a plus. Also would consider a tablet or phone based app. I'm a construction equipment mechanic, so diesel engines and the emissions systems aren't new to me.

I've had it 3 months and it's been in the shop as many times for the same recurring problem and now the warranty is out, and the mouthbreathers at the dealer are useless. The first time, they just forced a regen and called it good (I drive 200+ interstate miles per day, so I knew that wasn't the problem.), second time a MAF sensor; third time the ECM. Still the same problem.

The ability to test emissions related components and/or perform forced regens would be a huge plus.

·
Registered
185 Posts
For what you want, I would ask the Snap on rep what they have for you, since you have account with them. Failing that you can then go to the actual Dealer scan tool as the Snap on if available would be a world of pain money wise. The GM tool is the Bosch MDI2 with the GDS2 Software which loaded to a laptop, you would need an account with GM in order to use their software but you could do everything that the dealer can do and update modules as they are released.
The downside is that its only GM worldwide and not Snap on which would allow you to do many other makes. Sorry to hear about your Diesel emission issues and I hope that it works out for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only hesitate with a Snap On because of the price.

If there is a cheaper option, I'm definitely open to suggestions.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've been using Autoenginuity in a laptop for my gas GM fleet for a few years now. Laptop based and upgrade-able. They show Duramax coverage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think the LH7 is considered a Duramax. Tried a friend's Snap On Modus today and while it would show fault codes, it would not read sensors or do anything emissions related.

This has piqued my curiosity though. Do you have to buy the scan tool and then the applicable interface, or how does it work?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don't think the LH7 is considered a Duramax. Tried a friend's Snap On Modus today and while it would show fault codes, it would not read sensors or do anything emissions related.

This has piqued my curiosity though. Do you have to buy the scan tool and then the applicable interface, or how does it work?
D max coverage to me is diesel coverage, info request would give solid answer. They sell you the interface which is part of the cable to connect to OBD port and USB into laptop. Program loads into laptop and enhanced packages for various makes. I just use the GM package. Internet up-gradable. Check their website. I've seen them on Ebay and Amazon also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use Torque, Specifially the Torq Pro version app on my android phone. Believe there is I-phone version as well. You will need to purchase a Blue tooth ELM for the OBDII connector. Signat comes to your phone through that device. You can read and clear codes as well as moniter all engine functions that you OBD system monitors. I have all three of the EGT sensors set up on my display when the temps jump is the only way I can tell it is doing a DPF re-gen.......:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts