GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody install a ScanGaugeII yet?? I took the one off my Vue that I traded in on the Terrain. Was really used to all the info you could get which is still a lot more than the DIC in the Nox/Terrain. I'm looking at the little cubby hole in bottom of center stack unless somebody has a better idea. It's a great accessory for any vehicle.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My Scangauge died, so I replaced it with a PLX Devices 2340 KIWI Wifi and use an iPhone for reading the data. I'm a little put off at how much data is NOT available through the port on this vehicle, as shown by the iPhone software and it's abilities to see a lot of possible data.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll plug the sucker in the OBD without installing the unit and see how it works and what data I get

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Scangauge II works great in my I4 Terrain. Haven't done the actual hardwire in yet, just hooked up to OBD and PnP right away. Provides all the data I'm used to and all the engine management/data entries are there. MPG data, inc. instant/trip/day/etc all there. Actual instant MPG data changes much quicker to pedal inputs than the DIC on the dash. Only downside seems to be getting a match to onboard "red" color of the Terrain instruments...it's a bit too orangy for me...but I'll keep adjusting. May permanently place in the lower center stack opening (hang from opening top with 2 sticky sided mounts) and looks to be OK and still have room for other stuff and anything that needs plugged into the 12V outlet there. I'll do the calibrations for MPG etc. on next fillup to see how close DIC data actually is. The Scangauge is spot on with calibrations!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Think Hypertech or DiabloSport will be making a programmer for the Terrain?

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you are interested in a scan gauge, but don't have one yet, I'd suggest looking at the MSD Dashhawk. Even though it's somewhat more expensive, I think it has a # of features that are a little better than the Scan Gauge.

http://www.msdignition.com/

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Third fillup registered 29.1 MPG on the DIC and 28.9 on the scangauge!! That's certainly close enough for government work. The Scangauge allows MPG data for current trip, current day, prior day, and since fillup (or total trip if you prefer). I like having engine data available beyond idiot gauges on the dash. Only downside is the color--I can't match the red display that's in the Terrain. For you NOX folks, there's a blue that looks really similar. In the Terrain, too much orange so I may just change color alltogether.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a ScanGauge II in my Nox. I mounted it to the left of the steering wheel on the top of the dash. I used the Velcro for plastics/automotive use so it will not damage the dashboard.

Islander: Do you have any photos of your install? I thought about placing it in the center stack cubby, but thought it would hang down too far and restrict access to the cubby.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Isn't all that info already shown on DIC, speedometer, tach etc. already? What is added benefit of secondary set of guages?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Steve A said:
If you are interested in a scan gauge, but don't have one yet, I'd suggest looking at the MSD Dashhawk. Even though it's somewhat more expensive, I think it has a # of features that are a little better than the Scan Gauge.

http://www.msdignition.com/
And if your willing to spend some more....The dashdaq can have gps, the functions of dashhawk, plus the added advanced features dashhawk cannot record (requires upgraded license though).

http://www.dashdaq.com/

Roesterman said:
Isn't all that info already shown on DIC, speedometer, tach etc. already? What is added benefit of secondary set of guages?
more user functions. Gauges are slightly more accurate (your average mpg is off a few compared to what your actually getting) Dashawk and dashdaq can scan ecm trouble codes and reset them for you if required

·
Registered
34 Posts
True some of the information is replicated on the DIC, but it updates quicker than the DIC and it gives you access to more information at once. I also like the trip features of the SGII vs. the DIC, it can show you stats from each fill up, each day, and each trip (every time the vehicle is started). Other items it can display are interesting in troubleshooting, performance mods, or hypermiling. Like air intake temperature, timing advance, engine load, coolant temperature, DFCO engaged, error codes, and throttle position.

I did not buy the SGII for the Nox. I had it on a 06 RSX that had absolutely nothing in the way of a DIC. I have got so used to driving with it I moved it over to the Nox when I sold the RSX.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
snawdjj--Never did a full install yet. Just plugged it in to see how it worked on the Terrain. I also installed the ScanGauge II on my last car and removed when I traded it in for the Terrain. I like all the additional info. I'll get around to a permanent install soon and will post. I still think it will work in that little cubby in front of shifter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts