GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I resigned from the Government Motors Consortium today and traded my Terrain for a new Ford Edge Ltd.
I'm a big person (6'3", 255 lbs) and the Terrain was OK but when going on a day trip, the seat seemed to make my hip and right leg sore. Add to that the mediocre gas mileage and other issues I decided to do what I should have done before buying it and drove an Edge.
The Edge reminds me more of my Buick Rendezvous that I traded for the Terrain as far as roominess inside.
I have no hard feelings toward the Terrain, it was my fault for not exploring the Crossover market more thoroughly before I bought it.
Edge comes with lots of bells and whistles too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Frisco1522 said:
Edge comes with lots of bells and whistles too.
Well an Edge costs a lot more too. Limited starts at what 35K? Not really the same class. I consider the Terrain/Nox competing with the Escape.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I agree...I know many consider the Edge as in the same class, but when i was shopping, it was the Escape which was around the same price and options as the Terrain...The Edge, with same options was much more..

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I was looking for a new car, I test drove the Edge, and it's quite a nice vehicle; however, it was pricey, the stated gas mileage was too high, it didn't come with the electric lift gate, and there was absolutely zero cubbies for your phone, I-pod, lip gloss, gum, sunglasses, etc. (Yes, I'm a girl.) Granted my 4 cyl Equinox does not get the 32 mpg stated (I am averaging around 23-24 mpg), but no other car I ever owned did either. I had a 2000 Ford Windstar with stated 18 mpg city/24 mpg highway, but my DIC always said my average fuel economy was 14 mpg (I drive 60 highway/40 city).

Comfort in a new vehicle is important. Hope you're happy, and hope you got a great end of the year deal.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Melissa0329 said:
When I was looking for a new car, I test drove the Edge.... the stated gas mileage was too high,
Wow, first time I ever heard that complaint ! ;D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have to see how the Edge does. I bought it with the 2.0 Ecoboost I-4 turbocharged engine which is rated at 30mph highway. Driving it doesn't put you in mind of a 4 cylinder. It's quiet and feels like a 6. Time will tell. No need for Premium gas according to the manual, 87 octane is fine. Back up camera is on an 8 inch screen and has all kinds of voice commands. I guess i'll have to be careful driving it and not call another driver names or God knows what it will do.
You're correct about pricier. It's about 9 grand more than my SLT2. It also has an electric lift gate, but that may come with the Limited package. I'll be weeks playing with all the gadgets.
Couple of things it has going for it is even the base models have heat/cool vents to the back like my Rendezvous. I never figured out why the Terrain didn't do this. Also has built in garage door opener, something my Buick had but the Terrain didn't.
I haven't gotten rated mileage on the Rendezvous or the Terrain. Best I ever got with either one was 22 most highway. The two LeSabres I had before with the 3800 engines both got over 30 on the highway. The new LaCrosse can't come near that. Where did we go wrong?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
At the time I bought my 2010 Nox (December 09) I did thouroughly check out the crossover market...and the Nox/Terrain were hands down the best available at the time. The Ford Edge was definitely on my list and I test drove a loaded 08 and a mid-level 09....both seemed like good vehicles, but nothing about them justified the higher entry price in my mind. On the other hand, I do realize that the interior/ride/handling as well as the outside styling have been improved since then...but still not sure if it's worth the price premium. The biggest kicker for me is the fact that the Edge interior had a bit more elbow room than the Nox, but the rear seat legroom was less due to the shorter overall length and wheelbase. Also, the V6 power (for 08/09) was adequate...but not enough to justify the poor gas mileage.

The Escape (which is closer in price to the Nox) didn't really compare favorably in any category....except for the separate glass hatch in the back, which may or may not be useful in the real world.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The '11 Edge (and 12) IMHO is far superior to the Terrain. I absolutely love my Edge... it's what I should have bought instead of my second Terrain. I bought mine in late July to take advantage of the discounts... $7,000 worth. That brought the price down to just over $40,000. I don't regret it one bit. Seat comfort was one of my issues with my Terrain and the Ford seats fix that. Nice and comfortable. The only thing missing is the exterior look of the Terrain - my favourite part of the T.

It has so many options that aren't even available in the Terrain/Equinox twins... dual zone climate, panoramic glass roof w/power sunshade, HID headlamps, 8" My Ford Touch infotainment, passive entry/push button start, multi-colour ambient lighting, power folding rear seats, 12-speaker 390-watt audio, power passenger seat and a V6 engine with a decent amount of power.

I can't wait to see what the second generation Terrain holds, but today the Edge wins.... and price-wise (at least here in Canada) the prices aren't too far off for a similarly equipped vehicle.

Also, my V6 AWD at 3,500 km is getting 23+ mpg. That's equal, if not slightly better, than my FWD Terrain. And better by a measurable amount than my AWD Terrain.

Plus, there's still not a speck of soot on my tailpipes.....

·
Registered
977 Posts
For around $44,000 I could have 2 new Equinox's. I'm just amazed what some new vehicles cost :eek: To each their own :thumb: We live in the USA :thumb: (Or Canada) :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree on prices. They are really outrageous, but what's person to do? I guess you could wait for one of the cars built in China or India.
I paid $11,150 for my first house back in 1966 and $49,500 for my second one in 1978.
I hope this Edge does everything I want it to do because I sure like it so far.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Frisco1522 said:
I agree on prices. They are really outrageous, but what's person to do? I guess you could wait for one of the cars built in China or India.
I paid $11,150 for my first house back in 1966 and $49,500 for my second one in 1978.
I hope this Edge does everything I want it to do because I sure like it so far.
Do you still own those houses?! I'll pay purchase price! lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish I had them to sell. Of course, I wish I had my first car back also, a '50 Mercury coupe. If we only knew.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Frisco1522 said:
Back up camera is on an 8 inch screen and has all kinds of voice commands. I guess i'll have to be careful driving it and not call another driver names or God knows what it will do.
Found out a couple years ago that yelling an F-bomb results in "rear defrost - ON" in an Acura ;D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe that explains why "Hail to the Chief" started playing on the radio after I yelled an obscenity.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Isn't the Edge closer to the Acadia then the Terrain? When I saw the Edge a few months after we bought the Terrain I said I really like the look of the Edge so I looked up the specs and prices.....wow! Way more then the Terrain. Sure love the design though - finally - always hated Fords new aero designs(Mustangs excluded).

Terrain, most of the options you say are on the Edge, I wouldn't want anyway so that wouldn't have swayed me.....and I hear and read the the My Ford Touch is having awful reviews from everyone. Maybe they have that fixed by now. The audio system I would be interested in even though I'm driving a car in loud traffic and road noise so it wouldn't justify the cost over a plain am/fm radio.......to me. I would rather have a nice cushy ride like an old Cadilac behemouth of days gone by. ;D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Edge is a five passenger crossover which is within a couple of inches all around on outside dimensions as the Terrain. It's 2-3 inches wider and when you're inside seems quite a bit larger than the Terrain. The seats are a couple inches wider which makes a big difference to me. The shoulder room is a tad bigger.
I can't speak for the MyTouch problems as I've had none. I think the trick is to make sure you have the latest update, which I do. I've only had it a week, but am really satisfied with the ride, the power and the quietness. I honestly can't tell whether the engine is a 6 or a 4 in driving it. The Ecoboost 2.0 does a great job. First tank with a new car and averaged 25.3 mixed. I could never get over 22 with the Terrain after it was broken in and that was mostly highway. It was a fine car and my comfort level didn't show up until we did some day trips. Seats are heated leather buckets and are much more comfortable than I remember Ford's seats being. Sat in an Escape with cloth seats and they seemed awfully hard like the older Fords I had. Wife had a Tempo which was like sitting on a park bench.
The Acadia is considerably larger than the Terrain/Edge and has three rows of seats. They are super SUVs, but just too big for what I want. It's just the wife and myself and an occasional passenger.
Time will tell and those of you out there be happy with your Nox/Terrains. They are good cars. I just should have looked at the Edge first.

·
Registered
698 Posts
@ GARYD... I hear all over the place that the My Ford Touch system is terrible but in my three months of ownership I've only had two minor glitches. Hardly what I would lambaste the system for. As far as prices go maybe it's a Canada thing... a fully loaded Terrain is around $46,000 which isn't too far off a nearly-loaded Edge. Mind you, I didn't spring for the adaptive cruise control, the rain sensitive wipers, blind spot warning or 20" wheels.

I for one love all the cool features... and practical ones like HID headlamps, Homelink and puddle lamps. I could have saved myself a few bucks if I'd waited last summer to see what the '11 Edge was going to feature. I wouldn't have bought a '10 or prior... the interior looked blockier than my 2005 F-150 with similar rubbermaid plastics.

@FRISCO... I seem to recall the Edge being significantly wider than the Terrain, although shorter by a couple of inches. Like 300mm wider! Could be wrong.

·
Registered
265 Posts
WoW..Weird I found this post...

Farewell My Friends..I am jumping ship and buying a Loaded Limited Edge...More gadgets to play with..Need the 6 here in NY and AWD..They are made not 10 miles from my suburb of Buffalo NY..I drove the Edge and seems built sturdier than the Terrain..I liked the looks of the Terrain but wanted to get back into a SUV that is built better..My terrain was ok in flat Florida but more hills here in NY..5 weeks waiting time from last week when I ordered...Everyone here have great fun with your Terrains..It was a pleasure being on this Website..Learned quite abit in the almost 2 years I have been here... thumbs up Cheers

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Good luck to all you guys. I may be right behind you if GM can't fix my Terrain's awful gas milage. 15.3 mpg is rediculous. I got better mpg in my Vette.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think the Edge is about 3" wider than the Terrain. Length is nearly the same but I think the "nose" on the edge is a little shorter than the Terrain. Sitting inside, it seems much bigger than the numbers indicate.
Sounds like the guy in NY feels somewhat like me about the differences. I elected to go with the 2.0 I4 instead of the six, mostly for the mileage. AWD isn't available with that engine.
I don't have the adaptive cruise, and kinda wish I did, but buying from inventory makes you take what it is. It does have the rear/side warning, called the Vision Package and the rain sensitive wipers. Headlights come on with the wipers also since a lot of states are making that the law.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts