Rust or Rail Dust?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

Rusty Axles

8K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  jls1958 
#1 ·
Saw this nasty sight when I took a look underneath the terrain. Called the dealership and they said it may be rail dust which they'll take care of. Took it to another dealer and they couldn't do anything because nothing was broken. I don't know about you guys but this looks like really rusty axles to me. Plus there seemed to be some salt like buildup as well.
Found the same ordeal on the other terrains also, so I'm thinking it's a defect from manufacturer. What do ya think?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well its defiantly not rail dust, but I don't think the rust on the CV joints (axles) is anything to worry about, I'd just keep an eye on them.
When I replaced them on my older grand am a couple years ago the same thing happened, with time they got darker and didn't look so rusted,
the rust hasn't really eaten away at the metal either. I know its on a different vehicle, but its a similar situation, so I hope this helps!

#3 ·
Rusty has rust...hmmmmm

GM won't replace them due to surface rust, which is what I see. Those axles will still be strong long after any of us are on this planet.

#4 ·
ChevyMgr said:
Rusty has rust...hmmmmm

GM won't replace them due to surface rust, which is what I see. Those axles will still be strong long after any of us are on this planet.
Rusty :

FYI, ChevyMgr is a Service Manager (I think) so he knows what he is talking about, not just shooting from the hip. When he says "Don't worry", then don't worry !

#5 ·
Crawl underneath practically any FWD vehicle that has been through a hard winter and you'll see the same thing. It doesn't look nice, but it's just surface rust which doesn't affect the integrity. (as already mentioned)

Also, I'm confused by your poll.. :confused:

#6 ·
Your axle life will last forever rather than people life.

#8 ·
Rust proofing your vehicle will help your situation.
Krown rust protection will actually stop the rust on your vehicle and protect it.
Try this option.................it will keep your vehicle looking newer..........longer.
Good luck.

#9 ·
2010 LTZ said:
Rust proofing your vehicle will help your situation.
Krown rust protection will actually stop the rust on your vehicle and protect it.
Try this option.................it will keep your vehicle looking newer..........longer.
Good luck.
My guess is that rustproofing would not be applied to the axles, because it could cause them to to be out of balance. IMHO

Also, it is not needed on the axles - as has been stated - they are heavy duty metal. Rustproofing is meant to be applied to thinner metal, such as sheet-metal i.e. fenders, door, underbody.

#10 ·
I would have to agree with the previous posts that this is likely just surface rust and the result of salt and such used on the roads during winter. I would recommend keeping an eye on them. If you find that this is getting worse or causing damage, I would recommend contacting your local dealership at that point. Please feel free to keep me updated as well. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

#11 ·
Did my first oil change this past weekend on my 2010 Equinox and my father's 2011 Equinox....

I found that I had a similar situation regarding this corrosion/rust issue on my 2010. Even the oil plug was covered in this as it is under the vehicle. My father's 2011 which is about 6 -7 months old and has been through a winter did not seem to have this issue yet. I am guessing 2 winters will do this to any car but I did get a little shocked at how much worse my Equinox looked than his when underneath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.