GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2011 Silver Terrain (My 7th GM vehicle is 15 years). I noticed some surface rust on the hatchback panel. I took ot to the dealership and they said it looked like a bunch of rocks hit my hatch panel and took the paint off down to the gavanized plate. It is amazing how there are no dents in the metal, just a rust hole and a few paint blemishes around. I asked the Manager of the dealership how a rock would come up and hit that hard to make such a hole. His reply was that my back tire must have kicked it up. That is one magic rock to kick out of my back tire behind my car and curve backward to hit my back panel.
They wanted me to pay to have the body work done to fix the rust. Customer service for a longtime customer really stinks from this dealership. Overall Service has been dwindling for the past 4 years.
Has anyone else experienced a paint/clearcoat breakdown and surface rust starting?

·
Registered
93 Posts
All dealers are very nice to their customer as long as you're in a process of negotiation, but after you signup all the paper's work, all lie's and denial will come out from them, and you need to pay whatever problem that you have encountered specially if that is not covered by the warranty. ::)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Dealerships make most of their money on service and selling used cars. So they should want to stay in good graces

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
shumbert2011SilverSLT said:
I purchased my 2011 Silver Terrain (My 7th GM vehicle is 15 years). I noticed some surface rust on the hatchback panel. I took ot to the dealership and they said it looked like a bunch of rocks hit my hatch panel and took the paint off down to the gavanized plate. It is amazing how there are no dents in the metal, just a rust hole and a few paint blemishes around. I asked the Manager of the dealership how a rock would come up and hit that hard to make such a hole. His reply was that my back tire must have kicked it up. That is one magic rock to kick out of my back tire behind my car and curve backward to hit my back panel.
They wanted me to pay to have the body work done to fix the rust. Customer service for a longtime customer really stinks from this dealership. Overall Service has been dwindling for the past 4 years.
Has anyone else experienced a paint/clearcoat breakdown and surface rust starting?
Do you do a lot of driving at 60 mph in reverse ? Otherwise, I see no way that a rock could have done what you have described. Maybe you should take it up the chain of command at GM til you get some satisfaction. My "rear-end" is rust-free, and no blemishes - FWIW !

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would take it to another dealer for assesment and send a PM to the GM customer service rep we have here, and of course include the usual info they ask for , name, vin, contact number, dealer, concern, blah blah blah. ;) .

·
Registered
371 Posts
I just found 2-3 spots on our rear lid. Not sure if it's rust or not, but something is coming up under the clear coat. I can feel it with my finger. It actually looks like it's bubbling the clear coat.

I still need to stop by body shop and ask about it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
tsduke said:
I just found 2-3 spots on our rear lid. Not sure if it's rust or not, but something is coming up under the clear coat. I can feel it with my finger. It actually looks like it's bubbling the clear coat.

I still need to stop by body shop and ask about it.
Dont panic its only rust from brake pads...

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would be happy to look into this for you as well. In order to do more research, I will need some more specific information from you such as your name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me either on the thread or via private message. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hey! I have one spot like this on the back hatch of MY Equinox! It sounds like yours, but mine is down to the primer. No scratches leading to it, no dents...but my dealer also said that it looked like something hit it, and offered a paint pen to me for $15.

Mine is located right below the windshield, where there is a little flat ledge...and it's on the "flat" part of it, in NO way from a rock. He told me it's "definitely from an outside source" but that doesn't make any sense to me. If you can hit a car hard enough to chip off the paint, and leave no scratches or dent....is that really an effective paint job??

Let me know what else they say. I'm 100% convinced that mine didn't come from an outside source, it just doesn't match up.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
can someone post a picture of this? Im curious as to where we are talking.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
What is it? surface rust or a RUST HOLE?
Get some wax and wax it off ...You say youv'e beeen going to this dealer for 15 years did they just become lousy in their customer service dept or have they been great all along till this time?

·
Registered
949 Posts
wrusprod said:
can someone post a picture of this? Im curious as to where we are talking.
This is the spot that I have on my car- no scratches anywhere around it, no dent, not even a dent where the paint chip is (just a crater from the missing paint).

Is this similar to yours?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
looks like a paint chip to me....
maybe when some semi passed you it threw up something

Does not look like GM's fault at all
Dupli-color.....
CHIPS HAPPEN

·
Registered
949 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
looks like a paint chip to me....
maybe when some semi passed you it threw up something

Does not look like GM's fault at all
Dupli-color.....
CHIPS HAPPEN
It still doesn't make sense to me though, it's right below my rear windshield. If it was anywhere else on the car, I would agree with your suggestion.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Sumr616 said:
It still doesn't make sense to me though, it's right below my rear windshield. If it was anywhere else on the car, I would agree with your suggestion.
Check rear wiper arm travel doesn't look thats the cause but who knows...
maybe when you cleaned window at a gas station with their squeegie you did it...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Or someone mowing the lawn or weedeater kicked up a dirt ball or rock. That definately looks like external damage. Maybe someone set something against it, like a ladder or golf clubs ect...

·
Registered
41 Posts
interestingly enough....I am getting a spot of rust on my 2010 Terrain on the driver-side door panel along the bottom seam. I should take a picture, and will be showing the dealer on Thursday when I get my winters installed and have the environment system inspected.

Paul

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
brunp said:
interestingly enough....I am getting a spot of rust on my 2010 Terrain on the driver-side door panel along the bottom seam. I should take a picture, and will be showing the dealer on Thursday when I get my winters installed and have the environment system inspected.

Paul
Paul,

I am glad to see that you are planning to contact your local dealer for more information. Please feel free to keep me posted and contact me with any questions. Thank you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
Paul,

I am glad to see that you are planning to contact your local dealer for more information. Please feel free to keep me posted and contact me with any questions. Thank you.

Thank you for replying. I will for sure keep you informed as to the end result. I don't think a 1 year old car should rust anywhere either internally, or externally. I suspect that something failed during the curing project for this particular section of the door which is prompting the rust to occur.

Paul

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here is an update...the Terrain is booked in with the body shop to get the rusty area fixed up. They will look at all door seems to ensure there are no issues, but they are aware of the driver's door, which will be their primary focus. I will be getting a rental while the car is at the body shop. It is also coordinated with the service center so the audio shop can get the bluetooth issues fixed.

Paul

1 - 20 of 26 Posts