GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking over my Terrain in the garage when I spotted rust starting to from and the paint coming up on the rear hatch near the corners between the top of the license plate and the trim piece below the window. Beyond pissed. This 1 year old vehicle which has 15,000 miles and this is just garbage. I've had other issues with my Terrain so far but this just takes the cake. Thinking I made a huge financial mistake with this SUV.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Re:

Got pictures? My Terrain is nearly 3 years old and no rusting anywhere. Maybe I'm missing it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2014 with 20K also has rust the same place and in the corners of the tail lights. Will be taken it in next week to see what they will do. Not a happy camper.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Talk to the dealer in this case. This is a common problem that has been fixed.

It seems the chrome trim piece that is above the license plate needs a gasket or pad of sorts between it and the painted body. In some cases it was not installed on or the chrome piece had a bit of curl or warp on it's corners which dings the paint till bare metal is made. Then the elements take their toll.

GMC has been fixing this for customers and installing the proper "gasket" or separator.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to hear that I am not alone in this and its a known issue. I suppose I was hoping they found this type of issue with the 2010 - 2012 models, but apparently not. I am definitely bringing this back into my dealer to have it fixed.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
My 10 was repaired 3 times before they replaced the trim with one that had the rubber strip After this repair try getting use to closing the lift gate at the bottom edge and not use the chrome molding as a handle My 13 has the electric lift gate so I don't see this as a problem on my vehicle

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Walter said:
My 2014 with 20K also has rust the same place and in the corners of the tail lights. Will be taken it in next week to see what they will do. Not a happy camper.
Hey Walter,

We understand your frustrations! Please let us know if you need any additional assistance with this. We look forward to hearing from you regarding your updates from the dealership.

Patsy G
GMC Customer Care

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
scottfern said:
So I was looking over my Terrain in the garage when I spotted rust starting to from and the paint coming up on the rear hatch near the corners between the top of the license plate and the trim piece below the window. Beyond pissed. This 1 year old vehicle which has 15,000 miles and this is just garbage. I've had other issues with my Terrain so far but this just takes the cake. Thinking I made a huge financial mistake with this SUV.
Hey Scott,

We understand how frustrating and unexpected this may seem for you! We would be more than happy to look into this further, and reach out to the dealership on your behalf. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership. Looking forward to your response.

Patsy G
GMC Customer Care

·
Registered
97 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
My 10 was repaired 3 times before they replaced the trim with one that had the rubber strip After this repair try getting use to closing the lift gate at the bottom edge and not use the chrome molding as a handle My 13 has the electric lift gate so I don't see this as a problem on my vehicle
I've got a 2013 that appears to have the rubber strip...it's rusted on both sides.

I only close my gate with the handle on the left inside trim.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2010 Equinox has a pretty large rust spot right underneath the rear wiper. I received the recall letter in the mail about the rusting door seams (which I also have) and called GM Canada to ask if they had any issues with the back hatch as well and they said no. They will not fix my rusting hatch because I am no longer covered under any warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2011 had rust spots all over the hatch with 9000km (Canada). They tried to say it was rock chips from the transfer??? In Canada, where I got my Terrain, they bring their vehicles in on double decker haulers and ALL vehicles are plastic wrapped in certain spots, so that didn't fly with me. So finally they said yes it was rust and redid the whole gate. Why should I have to fight for this?

To date my 2011 SLE which cost me $35k has had over $25k of warranty work put into it. Biggest POS I've ever owned.

pwr

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
toddman said:
My 2010 Equinox has a pretty large rust spot right underneath the rear wiper. I received the recall letter in the mail about the rusting door seams (which I also have) and called GM Canada to ask if they had any issues with the back hatch as well and they said no. They will not fix my rusting hatch because I am no longer covered under any warranty.
Looks like someone may have whacked it with a snow scraper and chipped the paint then never bothered to take care of it when it was still a DIY

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got the Terrain back last week. Dealer had an on-site body shop repaint the entire rear hatch for me under warranty. Looks pretty good.

·
Registered
467 Posts
scottfern said:
Just got the Terrain back last week. Dealer had an on-site body shop repaint the entire rear hatch for me under warranty. Looks pretty good.
Did they paint over the rust or properly remove it?

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
adamjeeps said:
Did they paint over the rust or properly remove it?
OMG, if a dealer ever tried to just paint over the rust, they would get a piece of my mind - providing I have any left. LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Finally had the dealer fix the the rust on the tail gate, ( 4 ) places. All ( 4 ) doors. They opened door seams cleaned and removed rust, added rust prevention, closed seam and painted. Rear hatch was completely repaired and repainted. On hatch they found that the fasteners were not stainless. Door seams are better looking then what the factory original.

2014 SLE 2 fwd 30k

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have discovered rust spots starting along the lower seam of my left rear door on my 2012 Terrain. It appears that the paint is flaking off and then the bare metal is rusting. The original primer coat not adhering to the bare metal. I'm going to show this to my dealer when I go in for service in the next couple of weeks. My paint warranty has expired but I have about 2 years left on the rust through warranty. It seems to me like it would be cheaper to fix it now than to relace the whole door shell once it rusts through.

We'll see what they have to say.

As an aside, my wife's 2007 Equinox that we bought new doesn't have any signs of rust anywhere and we live in NW Ohio. It's been a good one.

Tom

1 - 20 of 51 Posts