GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 terrain sle with the 3.0. I just recently started noticing vibrations throughout the entire vehicle at around 60mph and above. It vibrates the steering wheel but the drive line is still straight. Everything else in the vehicle vibrates as well. Ive checked lugnuts and other suspension parts for looseness. Everything i looked at seams tight. I also thought it might be a wheel weight but havent checked tire balancing yet. Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
…there are a few of us with high mileage (150K+) that are beginning to notice what may be transmission shudder…look up some of the symptoms and see if they describe what you’re dealing with. I just put Lubegard Shudder Fixx in my tranny yesterday to see if that helps…

·
Registered
203 Posts
Only a few things will do that at highway speeds:
- Wheel out of balance
- Damaged tire
- Bent/Damaged rim

If only when under acceleration, it could be CV joint related. First thing I would do is rotate your wheels front/back and see if behavior changes. If it does, inspect all closely and/or take it to a shop to have them inspected and balanced.

·
Registered
2015 Terrain SLT AWD 3.6 eng.
8 Posts
Another thing to check is the Driveshaft center support bearing and U-joint. If the rubber around the bearing is worn out a vibration can happen.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only a few things will do that at highway speeds:
  • Wheel out of balance
  • Damaged tire
  • Bent/Damaged rim

If only when under acceleration, it could be CV joint related. First thing I would do is rotate your wheels front/back and see if behavior changes. If it does, inspect all closely and/or take it to a shop to have them inspected and balanced.
Tires and rims are fine. Will definitely be taking to get balanced and then rotated soon. Im a few hours out this weekend for vacay so making a list of things to do once I get back.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
What about a totally failed strut or shock?
Ive seen them on the highway and the tires are literally bouncing up and down at an uncontrolled rate, due to the shock absorbers having failed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, on july 2nd i was driving and parked with my wheels turned. I usually straighten them up but this time i didnt. When i came back out i saw a slick patch on the inside of the drivers front tire. The passenger was also worn on the inside but not nearly as bad. So i got a tire replacement, wheel alignment, balance of all four and rotation. Seems all fine and dandy at first. Now the steering is real tight and it pulls to the right a bit. Also while turning i have to force the steering wheel back to center after the turn. It doesnt go back on its own. Should i take it back to the shop i had it aligned at or a different one and get a different look? Pic is of tire that was bad and causing vibrations.

·
Registered
10,788 Posts
I would start at the original shop and see what they say. If you go to a new shop, and are not happy again, then you are caught in the middle with both places point their finger at the other shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts