GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Terrain with the 4 cyl engine. I now have 16000 miles on it and it was purchased new in March. I used to get 24 - 25 mpg on the highway. Far cry from 32 but I could live with it. My Terrain was recalled and "repaired" for the 11195 rough idle recall.

Ever since my repair I have been getting 21-22 mpg. I drive the same 300 mile trip every weekend over the same road at the same speed so I think I have a pretty valid comparison and I am at a loss to explain the drop in mileage.

I asked the dealership about it and they could not explain it either. Anyone have any insights they could share?

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Winter is upon us- and many places swith to winter fuel.
That could be part of the reason.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have a 2011 terrain AWD.. 29k miles getting 19-21 MPG..

I also had the actuators replaced for the rattling noise, but still have the noise.

I think the low MPG has to do with issues with the 2011 I-4 engine ...not everyone has low MPG.

Just those of us having the rattling noise, check engine lights,stalling...

·
Registered
949 Posts
Wow. I bought mine at the end of March. And just today, I hit 16,000 miles. And yes, technically, that repair SHOULD improve your mileage, in theory at least. Like wrusprod said, I think it has more to do with the engine itself, rather than the repair. Unfortunately, many of the 2011 4 cyl engines have proven to be crap. (not all, but many, my engine included)

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have a 2010 Terrain....so that weird idle i feel at a stop is a recall? Ill sit there at a red and feel the car slightly vibrate as teh idle dips low and then back to normal.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I put 100 miles on my 2012 V6 Terrain yesterday...I had 18.5 MPG average...compare that to my 2011 I-4 that I got 19-21 MPG....I drove my usual work route, so same driving conditions.

obviously, I want to do more miles to really see what Im getting, but thats not a big difference..

·
Registered
56 Posts
wrusprod said:
I think the low MPG has to do with issues with the 2011 I-4 engine ...not everyone has low MPG.
+1

My 2011 I-4 (build date Feb) averages 26-27mpg 'city' (suburban) Scottsdale driving, a few ticks higher on highway at 70mph. If your I-4 isn't achieving mileage in the mid-20s, take it back to your dealer and keep at them until they hear you and check, re-check EVERYTHING. Since 11195A on my vehicle, mileage has been great and I'm not easy on the pedal, whatsoever. Far too many of these vehicles were delivered 'out of timing.' Dealer needs to address and fix it. Yesterday. Just my $.02 :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Feb 11 build and averaging 21 mpg at 45-65 mph (even mix) since day 1. I have not experienced the issues of startup noise or rough idles.
I sure would like to get better mpg's!

·
Registered
39 Posts
ArizonaNOX said:
Far too many of these vehicles were delivered 'out of timing.' Dealer needs to address and fix it. Yesterday. Just my $.02 :)
Have you got a link or something that would help show the out of timing issue to the service manager?

·
Registered
361 Posts
ArizonaNOX said:
Since 11195A on my vehicle, mileage has been great and I'm not easy on the pedal, whatsoever. Far too many of these vehicles were delivered 'out of timing.' Dealer needs to address and fix it. Yesterday. Just my $.02 :)
what is 11195a and what timing are you refering to? the cam timing?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
vice86 said:
i have a 2010 Terrain....so that weird idle i feel at a stop is a recall? Ill sit there at a red and feel the car slightly vibrate as teh idle dips low and then back to normal.
I would be happy to look into recalls for you on my end with the last eight of your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
949 Posts
11195A is the Recall. Call your dealer and have them look up your VIN to determine if it applies to your vehicle. It covers approximate build dates of 2/17/2011 - 6/6/2011. This is NOT for timing chain repair. This Recall is specifically to address "rough idle, poor driveability, and emissions issues"...this may include check engine lights with codes P0011 and/or P0014 and possible stalling at low throttle opening, like when stopping at a stop sign, or accelerating from a stop.

The Recall includes updating the ECM, AND replacement of both of the Cam Solenoid Valves. All repairs indicated in Recall 11195a MUST be completed at the SAME TIME. Do not let your dealer talk you into anything otherwise. It is clearly stated in the work bulletin that everything must be completed at the same time, if your dealer says otherwise, ask them to print out the Recall Bulletin and let you read it. If not, I'll attach a copy of it here also. It is IMPOSSIBLE and NOT PERMITTED BY GM, for a dealer to "inspect" the Solenoid valves and deem them "undamaged." The Solenoid Valves have to be replaced, no matter what. They are in kind of short supply because of the recall, so they have to be ordered. Total time for the repair is usually about 2 hours, but often quicker than that.

Good luck, but be aware that you should really keep an eye on these issues after the repair, there are MANY MANY MANY people here on this forum alone that are having major problems with their Nox/Terrains that are covered by this Recall. Many people have already traded theirs off, or gotten them replaced by GM, or by filing for lemon law with an attorney. Just be aware of the possibilities, and know that you are not the only one experiencing issues with your vehicle, if that happens to yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Sumr

Are going going to be getting a Christmas present from GM ?

Either way, Happy Holidays !

Rit

·
Registered
949 Posts
RIT333 said:
Sumr

Are going going to be getting a Christmas present from GM ?

Either way, Happy Holidays !

Rit

Ugh.... I've been postponing this update...

To answer your question - no Christmas present for me from GM. I wish.

Long story short - GM is currently undecided whether or not they'll replace my vehicle, EVEN THOUGH they had previously AGREED TO REPLACE THE VEHICLE. I asked them if it would be a big deal if I chose to work with the dealership that I trust, and NOT the dealership that has lied to me multiple times, damaged parts on my car, and failed to mention that they LOST the engine cover on my car. My GM Rep said, "no, that's no problem at all. I'll just send the information over the them and we'll get that started." One week later, I FINALLY got an update, after calling to ask why the dealership hadn't heard anything yet. Dora tells me - "the Field Rep that is over that dealership is a different Field Rep than the one that is over the other dealership that we originally referred you to. THIS Field Rep has looked over your case and came to the conclusion that since the majority of the repairs were done at the other dealership, you need to bring your car in to have them keep it for a few days so that they can verify the issues. We are not requiring any kind of repair attempt, just that they have to verify the issues at hand because it was not previously confirmed in their service order on the last service visit on November 12th."

I will spare you the words that ran through my mind when she said that. I talked to her for another 10-15 minutes, just trying to figure out WHY, when GM had AGREED TO REPLACE MY VEHICLE BECAUSE OF PROBLEMS FROM FACTORY, why were they now going back on that decision? Her response was simply, "It's a different Field Rep, with a different analysis."

So, of course, my response was, "then why don't I just go back and work with the dealer that is a horrible representation of GM and who has lied to me, and damaged/lost parts and CHOSE NOT to tell me about those damages/lost items. I'll just go work with that dealership for the sake of resolving this situation and getting it taken care of." She said, "I'm sorry, but that is no longer an option. I'm making that decision right now, that is no longer an option." (First of all, is that her decision to make? I don't know.)

So, here I am, on Monday, the day after Christmas, I take my car into the dealership and let them drive it for a few days, maybe a week, so that they can verify the problems.

Tricia - in case you're reading this - my problem with my Rep is this: she apparently isn't even READING the documents contained in my case. She told me that the other dealership apparently never confirmed the issues at hand. BUT THEY DID. I told her that she has the SAME work order that I have, I faxed it to her myself, it states clearly, "heard noise 1 time, unable to duplicate, noise lasted 10 seconds." How is that NOT verifying the problem!?! They kept the vehicle, and heard it themselves, and attempted to fix it. Is my Rep even reading the documents in my case? Because I told her what it says, and she said, and I quote here..."No, it doesn't say that in the work order." BUT IT DOES!! I'm not making this up, I have it in writing, and SO DOES SHE.

The good news, is that the owner of the dealership that I favor, that I originally bought from and have always had a good experience with - the owner is on my side. He wants this to end for me, and he wants me to be happy. He knows every detail of everything that I've been through with this car, and he wants to see this come to a positive end. He said they will do everything they can to help me, and will work hard to kind of coax the problems to occur while they have the car. I trust that they will do what they can.

My only concern...these problems are intermittent. Everyone here knows this by now. And we all know that is the biggest reason why it's so hard to get an acknowledgement of the problem, a diagnosis and a proper repair that permanently fixes this issue. So, what if they keep my car for a week, and what if they were to start my car 1,000 times and drive 5,000 miles and just aren't "lucky" enough to experience the issues themselves....what then? Then, I would have to call a lawyer. And I WILL CALL MY LAWYER AT THAT TIME. You can bet your bottom dollar that I will not be settling for no replacement of my vehicle.

That's where I am now, unfortunately. Moral of the story : GM agreed to replace my vehicle, due to factory defects. And one week later, they are now saying that they have withdrawn that decision, pending verification of the issues that the vehicle is experiencing.

FIVE weeks after making initial contact with the GM Action Team, and my case is still currently unresolved. I thought of a good title for a book I could write about this, something along the lines of "How GM convinced me to buy a Ford." ....maybe I'll think about that...

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
WOW !

They ought to be giving you a 2012 SRX for all of the hoops that they are making you jump through.

Guess now "we're" shooting for a New Year's present.

·
Registered
368 Posts
RIT333 said:
WOW !

They ought to be giving you a 2012 SRX for all of the hoops that they are making you jump through.

Guess now "we're" shooting for a New Year's present.
Tricia, please note the above quoted post, which again refers to Sumr's vehicle.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Why bother? just hire a lawyer and end the headaches. the lawyer is paid for by GM after you win and you will get every dime you paid for the car.

also what is the difference in my i4 that was built 1 year earlier than your i4? it isn't the same motor?

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
AMG Eric said:
Why bother? just hire a lawyer and end the headaches. the lawyer is paid for by GM after you win and you will get every dime you paid for the car.

also what is the difference in my i4 that was built 1 year earlier than your i4? it isn't the same motor?
Basically, they got a bunch of bad parts from a supplier in a certain time period during the 2011 build cycle that caused the problems. It seems to be isolated to a few months of production. For more details, there are tons of posts on this forum regarding the issues.

Rit

·
Registered
361 Posts
RIT333 said:
Basically, they got a bunch of bad parts from a supplier in a certain time period during the 2011 build cycle that caused the problems. It seems to be isolated to a few months of production. For more details, there are tons of posts on this forum regarding the issues.

Rit
that makes sense

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
AMG Eric said:
that makes sense
Yes, it does. But what doesn't make sense is that they can't replace these defective components with new ones, and get the cars to run like the '10 and '12 model year Equinoxes. That is the reason while many forum members are P.O.'ed and many have lemon-lawed their vehicle and sworn off GM vehicles for the rest of their life. That is where GM is WRONG.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts