GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 GMC Terrain 2.4L 120,000 miles, I bought from my neighbor with a dead motor (no clue what, was just gonna risk it, got it cheap and clean) Turned out that due to the oil consumption issues and cheap parts that GM put into the low tolerance motors, it just busted my timing chain guide on the stationary side. After installing a Cloyes timing chain kit (highly recommend this brand across the board. Comes with YouTube instructions for most specific setups with a QR code in the box with step-by-step teardown/build up), oil change, and throttle body cleaning i was able to bring my Terrain back to life, and actually running really smooth. Once i realized that the motor was salvaged. I dove in again to replacing the VVT's & solenoids, spark plugs, oil pump, and cleaned the intake and PCV tube orifices.
The vehicle runs great at this point and time, 4.5K miles later with a trip across Kansas and Colorado on I70 through the mountain passes only two weeks after i completed all these repairs. It did pretty well (minus the wheel speed issues, turns out they don't use reluctor rings anymore, but reluctor magnetic races/seals that break down/flake off the hubs). Now my only complaints would be the random rough idle and dying immediately after startup in all conditions (hot, cold, overnight, just out of the gas station) i just have to rev it once and its fine. It also consistently will almost like cough/hack once before i leave my street attempting to die ( in which i will let off the gas and it will clear its throat and not do it again until the next long sit) I have replaced the high pressure fuel pump and Injectors, in an attempt to correct this issue with no changes, maybe a smoother idle?!?!?! IDK, but this is getting very annoying.
Other than those issues My Terrain run great and moves as "well-ish" as a 2.4L can move this good sized SUV. any ideas im open to it, ive heard there may be and ECM update that will correct this idle issues, much like other brands (Hyundai at which i was a service tech for years) did for there 2.4L when they were idling to aid with the rough idle/dying issues.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a 2014 GMC Terrain 2.4L 120,000 miles, I bought from my neighbor with a dead motor (no clue what, was just gonna risk it, got it cheap and clean) Turned out that due to the oil consumption issues and cheap parts that GM put into the low tolerance motors, it just busted my timing chain guide on the stationary side. After installing a Cloyes timing chain kit (highly recommend this brand across the board. Comes with YouTube instructions for most specific setups with a QR code in the box with step-by-step teardown/build up), oil change, and throttle body cleaning i was able to bring my Terrain back to life, and actually running really smooth. Once i realized that the motor was salvaged. I dove in again to replacing the VVT's & solenoids, spark plugs, oil pump, and cleaned the intake and PCV tube orifices.
The vehicle runs great at this point and time, 4.5K miles later with a trip across Kansas and Colorado on I70 through the mountain passes only two weeks after i completed all these repairs. It did pretty well (minus the wheel speed issues, turns out they don't use reluctor rings anymore, but reluctor magnetic races/seals that break down/flake off the hubs). Now my only complaints would be the random rough idle and dying immediately after startup in all conditions (hot, cold, overnight, just out of the gas station) i just have to rev it once and its fine. It also consistently will almost like cough/hack once before i leave my street attempting to die ( in which i will let off the gas and it will clear its throat and not do it again until the next long sit) I have replaced the high pressure fuel pump and Injectors, in an attempt to correct this issue with no changes, maybe a smoother idle?!?!?! IDK, but this is getting very annoying.
Other than those issues My Terrain run great and moves as "well-ish" as a 2.4L can move this good sized SUV. any ideas im open to it, ive heard there may be and ECM update that will correct this idle issues, much like other brands (Hyundai at which i was a service tech for years) did for there 2.4L when they were idling to aid with the rough idle/dying issues.
I have almost the same issue, a slight rev to keep from stalling at startup and like 4 doors down the street it would want to stall. Honestly the only thing I know that has worked is checking oil, even a half qt makes a world of difference.
When I change my oil (about 5k mile intervals, I typically add 2-3 qts during that time) it'll hiccup the first startup but quickly runs crazy quiet and smooth

1 - 2 of 2 Posts