GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My garage has a low door frame and the antenna keeps rubbing against the top. Need to know if the rooftop antenna can be changed to a shorter or flat one. Any ideas out there! Would appreciate some help.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
CravenSpeed sells a stubby antenna for the terrain. Just ordered mine today. Other people seem to be happy with it. Will let you know how it works.

·
Registered
338 Posts
There are two different length antenna masts available through GM also. The original height antenna mast (280mm) and a shorter antenna mast (180mm).

·
Registered
978 Posts
With the "reception" disclaimers and the "no questions asked" return policy on CravenSpeed's own website...I would be inclined to try the OEM shorter length antenna

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just got this in:

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your email.

Our pre-released Mark II VG shark fin antenna is compatible with your 2011 GMC Terrain. For more information, pictures and how to order, please see the email below.

Regards,
Arthur

This new shark fin antenna was developed specifically for vehicles that have an AM/FM rear-roof whip antenna and a Sirius/XM/OnStar/GPS chip-set antenna integrated into the larger antenna base. Our Mark II antenna will allow you to replace the whip portion of your AM/FM antenna and cover the entire large antenna base on your roof to give it a clean look. Installing this antenna will not hinder the operation of your Sirius/XM/OnStar/GPS chip-set antennas that are integrated into your antenna base. Please click the following links for some sample pictures of our new shark fin antenna:

http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_VG_SFA_MKII.html

We are happy to announce that we can continue to offer our Mark II version at the same price as our Mark I version, currently priced at $69USD (including painting to your OEM color as usual), plus shipping/handling for $12USD to USA/Canada or $28USD to International locations (including tracking number & insurance). GST & HST applicable for Canadian orders.
Lead time is around 1 to 2 weeks before ready for shipping.

To place an order, please send an email to [email protected] and provide the information below, and a Paypal invoice for ordering will be sent to you shortly afterwards . You will be able to pay via Paypal account, eCheck and most major credit cards. To find your color code, please visit this page: http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_Paint_Code.html

·
Registered
83 Posts
I ordered mine this past Thursday. Once it comes in and I put it on I will post pictures and results. If somebody already has this Shark Fin, please tell us how it worked out for you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Had mine 8 months. Reception is same as stock. Only issues have been with the adhesive gasket not sticking (they sent me a new one free of charge) and now stone chips in the paint on the spine. I imagine they're likely not caused by stones, but from ice flying off the roof as it melts. It has been one of those winters...

·
Registered
83 Posts
alaric23 said:
Had mine 8 months. Reception is same as stock. Only issues have been with the adhesive gasket not sticking (they sent me a new one free of charge) and now stone chips in the paint on the spine. I imagine they're likely not caused by stones, but from ice flying off the roof as it melts. It has been one of those winters...
Would you mind posting a few pics? Curiousity is killing me.

·
Registered
338 Posts
An FYI on the GM antenna is that it is $30. It takes the length from 11" to 7" and I don't think it will chip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the stubby antenna from CravenSpeed and I'm very happy with it. Looks much better than stock, is about 4" in length and reception is as good or better than the stock antenna. Best of all it doesn't hit going into the garage.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here are the pictures as promised. There is no loss in reception with AM/FM/XM. As you can see it has a very low profile. Car wash friendly too, I should know. The wifey works at one.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Toenuttz,

How did the install go as far as difficulty and time? Looks great!

Thanks for posting the pics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very nice Toenutz!

·
Registered
83 Posts
ChevyMgr said:
Toenuttz,

How did the install go as far as difficulty and time? Looks great!

Thanks for posting the pics.
It took all of 5-10 minutes. I normally have my car hand waxed so I used the 3M General Adhesive Remover to clean the area and remove the wax. I grabbed the stool out of the kitchen and placed painters tape to mark my area. After that it was peel and place.

Gdog said:
Very nice Toenutz!
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
My friend has a 2010 Terrain and brought up a great point with the Shark Fin Antenna. When he goes snow boarding the stock antenna gets in the way when the boards are on the roof rack. With the low profile the SFA that is not going to happen anymore. :thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok so the title of this thread intrigued me. I'm in Texas (yes, great "what country are you from?", insert best Texan joke here) but is height of the terrain really an issue?? I used to worry about my 3/4 Ton Cummins Diesel fitting, I bought my Terrain for gas mileage and that was never a concern! Seriously, I guess I'm in my little world and didn't realize. **That was a genuine question, no satire/sarcasm.

·
Registered
338 Posts
agbq06 said:
Ok so the title of this thread intrigued me. I'm in Texas (yes, great "what country are you from?", insert best Texan joke here) but is height of the terrain really an issue?? I used to worry about my 3/4 Ton Cummins Diesel fitting, I bought my Terrain for gas mileage and that was never a concern! Seriously, I guess I'm in my little world and didn't realize. **That was a genuine question, no satire/sarcasm.
Of course you know our garages are bigger in Texas? :thumb:

·
Registered
297 Posts
ChevyMgr said:
Of course you know our garages are bigger in Texas? :thumb:
I can open the rear hatch of my Terrain in my garage (full not 3/4 setting) with my garage door open (and up overhead). I guess some garages are really, really small? :confused:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts