GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to install my cross-bars for my roof rack yesterday, got the little plastic cover panel on the one side off no problem, then went to do the same to the other side and one of the little plastic tabs holding the cover in place snapped off. Would that be covered under warranty? Or does anyone know how much a new cover would cost? This is my first brand new vehicle, I've never had to deal with warranty repairs or anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
It is probably not really a waranty item at this point, since you broke it, but a good dealer would waranty it ! Ask, and the worst that they'll say is no. Then, cry, and stamp your feet, and then they'll cover it.

I found it on GMPARTSDirect.com for about $12 plus shipping. Ouch. It lists for $18+ Double-ouch.

Good luck !

abnox said:
I went to install my cross-bars for my roof rack yesterday, got the little plastic cover panel on the one side off no problem, then went to do the same to the other side and one of the little plastic tabs holding the cover in place snapped off. Would that be covered under warranty? Or does anyone know how much a new cover would cost? This is my first brand new vehicle, I've never had to deal with warranty repairs or anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
978 Posts
RIT333 said:
Ask, and the worst that they'll say is no. Then, cry, and stamp your feet, and then they'll cover it.

Good luck !
That's pretty funny right there I don't care who you are...and it's probably the most accurate of tactics to use at this point. Heck if make sure to "happen to have" that cross bar with you...I'd wager they would finish the install for you.

But as stated, technically that isn't a defect, more operator error but your selling dealer will probably "bite the bullet" on such a small $ amount for customer satisfaction purposes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks RIT333, I guess I'll probably have to try that. Where did you find it online? I looked and couldn't find anything, do you happen to have the part number? Hopefully the dealer will eat the $20.

I don't think operator error had much to do with it, I hardly touched the thing! Seems like just a flimsy piece of plastic. And the installation is finished and was actually quite easy, just the plastic cover panel is only being held in place by one of the two tabs right now.

·
Registered
978 Posts
abnox said:
I don't think operator error had much to do with it, I hardly touched the thing!
Ok...might address the issue with the Dealer that it was broken when removed ie factory defective during assembly.

·
Registered
297 Posts
abnox said:
Thanks RIT333, I guess I'll probably have to try that. Where did you find it online? I looked and couldn't find anything, do you happen to have the part number? Hopefully the dealer will eat the $20.

I don't think operator error had much to do with it, I hardly touched the thing! Seems like just a flimsy piece of plastic. And the installation is finished and was actually quite easy, just the plastic cover panel is only being held in place by one of the two tabs right now.
Try the dealer first. However, If you are never going to move the cross rails once they are installed, some RTV silicon will work to keep the cover in place.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
abnox said:
GMPartsDirect.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts