GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about the new Chevy Suburban. The engineers said that they achieved better gas mileage by eliminating the cross members, streamlining the air flow.
I am wondering if I should remove my cross members, and only put them back when I need them.
Will my mileage be better when they are off?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Anything on the outside of a vehicle is going to cause drag and reduce speed. My unscientific guess is you will not see a 1-2 MPG difference...at most you will maybe see a 1-2 MPT difference. That would be miles per tank. It may be a little more, but yes, it will help, enough to matter? Depends on how often you use them.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
fullcourt said:
I was reading about the new Chevy Suburban. The engineers said that they achieved better gas mileage by eliminating the cross members, streamlining the air flow.
I am wondering if I should remove my cross members, and only put them back when I need them.
Will my mileage be better when they are off?
You'd be correct, just as JediSkipDogg mentioned. Except that you will not see a reduction in speed (not with these two platforms and engines) just an increase in drag coefficient.
In my experience, there is a noticeable decrease in windnoise with the bars off, so for those two reasons, I keep mine off until I need them.

JMO[/color]

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So after asking you guys, I decided to read the manual:
"When the roof rack is not in use, lock one cross rail at the furthest forward position and lock the other cross rail at the furthest rearward
position to reduce wind noise."
It describes how to move them, but not how to remove them. Is it easy?

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
fullcourt said:
It describes how to move them, but not how to remove them. Is it easy?
Yes - very easy. There is a black plastic panel at the rear-inside of both rails that has to have a tab pushed sideways, while pulling the plastic panel towards the middle of the vehicle, and then the cross-members can slide out. If you can't figure it out, there are probably instructions on the forum.

Really simple, once you figure it out - kind of like "life" !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts