GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody recommend an efficient way to clean the roof? I have been standing on a step stool and thus leaning against the side of the vehicle. Has anybody used those long handled mops?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
I use a little 2 step folding step stool. Tall enough to reach without molesting the side or top of the car. Folds up for easy storage. Easy to move around the car as you move to wash the roof. Low price at discount stores. What's not to like!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,271 Posts
One of those long handled wash brushes works fine for me lots of suds then throw a cotton towel on roof and pull it towards you to dry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! The two step is a good idea but my reach is not very long. I'm going to look into some kind of extension microfiber. I'll probably still need some kind of stoop for drying though. If you listen to admin., however, I guess he would probably recommend to dry in the lengthwise direction so not to disturb any laminar flow or produce any potential perpendicular scratches.

Agree?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
wbassnp007 said:
Thanks guys! The two step is a good idea but my reach is not very long. I'm going to look into some kind of extension microfiber. I'll probably still need some kind of stoop for drying though. If you listen to admin., however, I guess he would probably recommend to dry in the lengthwise direction so not to disturb any laminar flow or produce any potential perpendicular scratches.[/color]Agree?
If you want to "go with the flow", you should know which way the primer, basecoat and clearcoat were sprayed.
I guess you could assume from front to back.
Really, I don't think it makes much of a difference because the paint is baked on at a high temperature (probably 250 degrees F or higher) anyway and I don't think there's any "Grain" like on a golf putting green, for example.
JMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,506 Posts
wbassnp007 said:
If you listen to admin., however, I guess he would probably recommend to dry in the lengthwise direction so not to disturb any laminar flow or produce any potential perpendicular scratches.

Agree?
No offense, but if you're worried about perpendicular scratches on the roof of your vehicle, then you are a little too anal retentative for me. The only people that see the roof of my vehicles are people in airplanes, and they have never complained about the scratches. Although, I di o wax the roof - so I am a "little" anala retentative !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gearhead said:
If you want to "go with the flow", you should know which way the primer, basecoat and clearcoat were sprayed.
I guess you could assume from front to back.
Really, I don't think it makes much of a difference because the paint is baked on at a high temperature (probably 250 degrees F or higher) anyway and I don't think there's any "Grain" like on a golf putting green, for example.
JMO.
Since the roof is not flat, and is constructed with lengthwise ridges, the natural flow of water is front or back. Water will accumulate and build to a level in-between the ridges until a level is reached where it flows to a lower elevation. Are you using a stoop or long handle device?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
wbassnp007 said:
Since the roof is not flat, and is constructed with lengthwise ridges, the natural flow of water is front or back. Water will accumulate and build to a level in-between the ridges until a level is reached where it flows to a lower elevation. Are you using a stoop or long handle device?
We have the sunroof so I do a fairly good job cleaning up there.
I get up on the door sills with a large soft white cotton bath towel that's soaked with very sudsy warm water and kinda just slop it around for a while, LOL!
If there's some bird droppings or whatnot that are caked on in a hard to reach place, I wrap the towel around a snow brush and very gently go over the area until the debris softens up enough to get it with the towel then follow up with lots of cold water rinse.
You may want to be sure to NOT wear a belt or clothes with unprotected zippers, buttons or anything that will scratch the finish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
I'm with Rit333, but have never waxed the top of my cars.
I wash with the Mr. Clean system so I don't have to worry about drying the whole car let alone the top.
Now if this was a show car like my Vettes were, then I'd be very anal retentive, right down to plucking stone out of the tires grooves.......yes we do that for shows. ::) ;D ;D
I will never do to my daily driver what I did for my Vettes.
I slap on a coat of polish a couple times a year, clean brake dust from the wheels, use Amsoil syn oil in the engine, vacuum the seats, touch up scratches/pits in the paint as soon as possible, then enjoy and drive the $hit out of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
GARYD said:
I'm with Rit333, but have never waxed the top of my cars.
I wash with the Mr. Clean system so I don't have to worry about drying the whole car let alone the top.
Now if this was a show car like my Vettes were, then I'd be very anal retentive, right down to plucking stone out of the tires grooves.......yes we do that for shows. ::) ;D ;D
I will never do to my daily driver what I did for my Vettes.
I slap on a coat of polish a couple times a year, clean brake dust from the wheels, use Amsoil syn oil in the engine, vacuum the seats, touch up scratches/pits in the paint as soon as possible, then enjoy and drive the $hit out of it.
I don't own any show cars. But now that you mention it, I realize the that there aren't anything in the treads at shows. Never noticed that before. Also does that Mr. Clean system really work. Would get me out of the GA heat alot quicker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
I open a door and stand on the inside. The roof is the first thing I wash too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
bballr, that's what I do.

Yes the Mr. Clean really works. Drys with no spotting.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top