GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our first trip in the Terrain I suffered 3 rock chips in the windshield. They are so minor they can't be fixed, just chipped the top coat. The glass guy said they won't spread but we will see. AVS needs to hurry and get the air deflectors built for it.

One of the chips I understand but the other happened from a car going maybe 15 mph in the opposite direction of me. I still can't believe it. Seems like cheap glass in this otherwise great car.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Don't think there's much you can do about it, it's Murphy's law. I've had the same thing happen to me in a couple new vehicles. I don't think it has anything to do with the glass itself being cheap though. You probably just have to wait for a deflector.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't think there is such a thing as cheap glass as all automotive windshields need to adhere to strict safety standards. I would contact your local roads & highway agency and tell them to stop laying down such large grades of sand, that's the real reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dont have a terrain (YET), and am wondering if angle of the windshield has anything to do with how much chips happen. My partners honda civic gets a chip in the windshield if someone on the sidewalk farts. My current car (hyundai tucson) doesnt chip. The windshield is 4 years old now, its scratched and has tiny pits from impact marks, wipers dont clear it because it is scratched up. I'm not careful with it. Big stones hit the glass but it only does tiny chip glances, I just dont get it. Maybe its a flawed windshield, too thick.

·
Registered
58 Posts
canadianwolf said:
I dont have a terrain (YET), and am wondering if angle of the windshield has anything to do with how much chips happen. My partners honda civic gets a chip in the windshield if someone on the sidewalk farts. My current car (hyundai tucson) doesnt chip. The windshield is 4 years old now, its scratched and has tiny pits from impact marks, wipers dont clear it because it is scratched up. I'm not careful with it. Big stones hit the glass but it only does tiny chip glances, I just dont get it. Maybe its a flawed windshield, too thick.
Usually the greater the angle of a windshield the more debris will deflect off. The Terrain has a more angular slope to the windshield than the previous generation (Nox, Torrent). If you didn't have that angle to the windshield than a lot of those chips could be full-blown starfish. I would way rather have to replace my windshield every 4-5 years because of pitting and chips than every year because of large breaks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I guess you have to roll with the punches..Do what ya gotta do instead of getting upset with things you cannot change...Yes its probably your second biggest investment but I am gonna try to enjoy mine when I get it..Thats what salesperson and dealerships are for..Let them worry about it not you..

I am not getting any younger so thats my philosophy...I am not trying to preach..By no means am I close to being Perfect..Enjoy it.........

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, there is 'cheap glass' trust me.

The standards are always so far below what normal glass manufacturers reach that it is never an issue.

My glass states it was made in Brazil.

Mine has scratched wiping duck poop off it. Very cheap.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Also, be sure to check with your insurance. My insurance will fix chips in windshields free of charge. A $50 pit fill to them is much cheaper than a wreck due to poor visibility.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just got a chip in my new 'Nox this weekend :(. I was driving on a "highway" of sorts, back from camping, when I saw a guy cutting his grass on his ride-along mower...I cringed at the sight of it, and almost contemplated turning around (but of course I couldn't on such a road) and sure enough as a passed him, a frigging' rock flew up and hit my windshield :mad: Gonna get it fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
698 Posts
FedorekC said:
I just got a chip in my new 'Nox this weekend :(. I was driving on a "highway" of sorts, back from camping, when I saw a guy cutting his grass on his ride-along mower...I cringed at the site of it, and almost contemplated turning around (but of course I couldn't on such a road) and sure enough as a passed him, a frigging' rock flew up and hit my windshield :mad: Gonna get it fixed ASAP.
You live in Alberta, right? A good friend of mine moved to Edmonton a couple of years ago and commented to me that cracked windshields are extremely common there, compared to Ontario. It was just an observation he made. Must have something to do with the imported granulars (granite vs limestone?) there...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes I live in Alberta. Edmonton as well. I really wish I didn't right now though! This year has been brutal! It's non-stop rain, so everytime I wash my car it rains! I washed it all up inside and out yesterday and it's supposed to rain today FML :mad:. Minus the weather, yes cracked windhsields are very very common here. In the winter we get a lot of snow, so they load the roads up with salt and dirt which of course sticks around in the summer for people to drive on and subsequently shoot at your windshield all summer long! I was actually very surprised that I didn't get a chip on my roadtrip from AB to BC. BC roads are alot nicer anyway...but I guess it goes to show how bad it really is here if I was on edge almost everytime someone was driving in front of me!

·
Registered
698 Posts
^ I hear you. I am going to visit my sister and her family in Iowa next month (nearly 4,000 km round trip) but the risk is too great to drive the Terrain. Last time I drove down, a piece of rubber tire flew up and damaged my Sierra's front bumper.

I also got my first speeding ticket ever (I've never even been pulled over before then or since) just outside of Iowa City for going 80 mph in a 65 zone. Tried to play dumb tourist but it didn't work. I got him back... sprayed gravel all over his cruiser safely 'merging' back onto the interstate.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yes, there is certainly cheap glass in the automotive world but with the acoustic glass, I doubt any of it is cheap yet. It will get there though.

Ours doesnt have any rock chips yet but Im sure itll happen during winter here. Concrete and asphalt roads on the EXACT same road always throws up rocks when its cold.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Terrain said:
but the risk is too great to drive the Terrain.

I also got my first speeding ticket ever (I've never even been pulled over before then or since) just outside of Iowa City for going 80 mph in a 65 zone. Tried to play dumb tourist but it didn't work. I got him back... sprayed gravel all over his cruiser safely 'merging' back onto the interstate.
Ahh yes, it is very risky driving a brand new vehicle anywhere really...it's nice when you have an alternate. For me, this is my only vehicle, so it takes me everywhere. Sometimes, when I park in a parking stall I open my door just slightly to see how close I am too the line. If I'm too close I will back up and try again until I get close enough to the middle where I feel comfortable enough that door dings are less likely! Haha.

That's a bummer on the speeding ticket, but good on ya for getting him back! Haha I wonder if I will get one...I seem to drive my 'Nox slower than my old Prelude...perhaps because it feels more luxurious and I just like to enjoy the ride. I did let it stretch it's legs a few times on the way home from BC though, gotta get around those Semi's!!

So, good news! I am getting my rock chips fixed on Wednesday...for free! ;D A guy at my boyfriends shop said to swing by at lunch and he would do it :) Yay!

·
Registered
81 Posts
We got one rock chip about three weeks ago. It was in the top right hand corner. When I moved it out of the garage on Saturday it had a crack about 3' long across the windshield. My wife cried. I have a zero deductible so it will get replaced on Wednesday.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ugh that sucks!! I almost cried too, so I understand where your wife is coming from! On my old car I would put clear nail polish on the crack so it wouldn't spread. Worked everytime! I didn't do this on the 'Nox though, a little paranoid, plus the guy needs to do his thing with it and I don't wanna get anything in his way. Thank god it's getting fixed tomorrow!

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
FedorekC said:
On my old car I would put clear nail polish on the crack so it wouldn't spread. Worked everytime!
Wow ! You must be using epoxy-based nail polish !!! Hard to argue with success, though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Haha I don't know. It was a clear polish that you put on to keep the colored polish on so it doesn't chip...I don't use it on my nails anymore, but back in the day! haha. Everyone is always surprised when I share that little trick with them :).

·
Registered
432 Posts
FedorekC i totally agree with you on the crap roads and debris up here. As a fellow Edmontonian i really dislike the road treatment up here. I took a rock (no pit or crack thankfully) 2 days after taking delivery of my terrain. And the weather this year... unghhh i got hailed on the afternoon my uncle delivered the Terrain to me. again no damage that i can see but so aggravating. I try to keep mine clean so i am in the same boat about getting it all cleaned up so it can get rained on. :( happens more often than not lol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts