GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Terrain 2.4L AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, New member here. I am planning a road trip from upstate NY to Florida in February 2022. My 2015 2.4L Terrain currently has about 95,000 on it.
I am looking for tips for prep and tool kit to take along for possible minor repairs.
I have replaced the oil filler cap with the vented one.
I plan to replace the serpentine belt before we leave.
Fresh oil change, check fluids etc.
I will be replacing the battery as the original is 7 years old and struggling in single digit weather.

Any prep tips and tool kit ideas would be welcome!
Thanks, Ken

·
Super Moderator
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,727 Posts
Not much you can do roadside today unlike with cars of old.
Check the spare tires air pressure. Code scanner in your phone, like Torque with the Bluetooth adaptor is handy.
Since you're in the salt zone make sure you can get the tires off if you have a flat. Rims like to seize on from corrosion. I've a place in the ADK and learned that years ago and if mounting points on the rims don't have anti-seize on them it can be a bear to get them off on the side of the road if corroded on.

·
Registered
2017 Equinox LT 2.4 FWD
500 Posts
Just in case there would be a repeat of the recent weather related I-95 fiasco in Virginia, make sure to take along plenty of bottled water, high energy snacks such as protein bars and trail mix, and some blankets. Keep the cell phone charged and don't let the gas tank get much below 1/2. Remember you and your passengers are number 1, the vehicle a distant 2nd.

·
Registered
2015 Terrain 2.4L AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks John, Yes, there isn't much I can do even in my garage at home! It's not like the days of old when I did things like change a water pump on my way to Colorado.
I do my own basic maintenance including brake work so I do use a lot of anti-seize on my Terrain rims and my other vehicle a Chevy City Express. I do keep a breaker bar with a 22mm socket for tire changes in the Terrain and socket for my boat trailer wheels also (not going to FL with us). I am careful with the torque specs when tightening, also check my spare pressure often.
I will be bringing a basic tool kit along with stuff to repair hose, tire plug issues etc.
Our family has a place on 6th lake near Inlet NY and we live on Oneida Lake.
I have a few cheaper code readers but will look into the Torque for my smart phone/Ipad.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2015 Terrain 2.4L AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just in case there would be a repeat of the recent weather related I-95 fiasco in Virginia, make sure to take along plenty of bottled water, high energy snacks such as protein bars and trail mix, and some blankets. Keep the cell phone charged and don't let the gas tank get much below 1/2. Remember you and your passengers are number 1, the vehicle a distant 2nd.
Thanks for the reminder, we keep a good winter survival kit in both vehicles. We have traveled that stretch many times and have seen weather as bad as we get in NY. We will be traveling with plenty of fuel, full cooler, warm clothes and blankets, even our GSD has sweaters! Also plenty of charged battery banks for phones and jump starting.

Reminds me of one of the unwritten laws of the sea, "the captain is responsible for the comfort and safety of the passengers and crew".

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox lt 2.4, 135k miles. Mocha steel metallic mobile 1 full syn extended performance
1,005 Posts
AAA basic roadside assistance is only like 60$ a year, I like it because it covers a lot. It won't get you towed very far for the low end members but like the card can be used on any car your in not just your own... Run out of gas or get a flat get stuck, whatever it's covered. It's just good to have.

·
Registered
2015 Terrain 2.4L AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AAA basic roadside assistance is only like 60$ a year, I like it because it covers a lot. It won't get you towed very far for the low end members but like the card can be used on any car your in not just your own... Run out of gas or get a flat get stuck, whatever it's covered. It's just good to have.
Yes, should have mentioned this earlier, right up there with my cell phone is my AAA card. For most of our careers we turned vehicles over every 4 years. All repair and maintenace was done at the dealership to keep our cars dependable while under warrantee. Now that we are semi-retired I am in charge of getting many miles out of our current vehicles. So when we roll out on road trips we are riding in older "well maintained" cars. I appreciate the advise of others on the forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox lt 2.4, 135k miles. Mocha steel metallic mobile 1 full syn extended performance
1,005 Posts
Yes I think you should definitely be good to go, if you have any problems just let us know... Haha make sure to pack some toilet paper in your emergency stash. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,727 Posts
Thanks John, Yes, there isn't much I can do even in my garage at home! It's not like the days of old when I did things like change a water pump on my way to Colorado.
I do my own basic maintenance including brake work so I do use a lot of anti-seize on my Terrain rims and my other vehicle a Chevy City Express. I do keep a breaker bar with a 22mm socket for tire changes in the Terrain and socket for my boat trailer wheels also (not going to FL with us). I am careful with the torque specs when tightening, also check my spare pressure often.
I will be bringing a basic tool kit along with stuff to repair hose, tire plug issues etc.
Our family has a place on 6th lake near Inlet NY and we live on Oneida Lake.
I have a few cheaper code readers but will look into the Torque for my smart phone/Ipad.
Thanks again!
Small world. I groom snowmobile trails with my club in between Uncas Rd and the 8th lake campground.

·
Registered
2012 GMC Terrian 2.4L Ecotec LEA 125k Miles
118 Posts
I recently took a 2500 mile trip. Looks like you already have some good advice so I'll include some comforts.

Hour after hour it annoyed me to see little specks on the windshield or dust on horizontal areas inside the car.

I pulled over and bought an armor all pack at Walmart. I cleaned the glass inside and out and cleaned the interior when I got gas or was in bad traffic. Again, hour after hour you notice where you missed a spot. My car hasn't ever been so clean.

I was also annoyed that my tire pressure was 35, 33, 34, and 34. I brought my bicycle pump it takes 15 pumps to equal 1 psig in the tires. I would pump them up with my bike pump to even them all out. Good idea to have a tire guage.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 179k miles
4,606 Posts
For tools, in addition to the Tire Plug kit, I carry both flat and Phillips screwdrivers, Vice-Grips, and a set of 7" "Diagonal Cutters" to make sure I can always pull any nail or screw out of a tire! For the Cutters, I bought this inexpensive Harbor Freight product ... good enough to be pulling out embedded nails:

I also carry multiple (bright LED) flashlights, my OBD-2 Scanner, Lithium battery jumper pack, Portable Compressor, rubber gloves (keep hands clean), full-body Dickies Coveralls (cover my clothes), rolls of paper towels and Duct Tape.

I keep all this stuff in color-coded canvas bags and just grab them and throw them in the vehicle prior to takeoff. That way I'm not hunting around for anything at the last minute!

=======

@ken_3132 : I see from your "Vehicle Details" that you have AWD. I've never owned an AWD vehicle, but I know they make a big deal out of all the tires being "exactly the same circumference" (or within some very minor delta tolerance).

How does this work for AWD owners when they blow a tire and have to throw on the "donut" spare ... which is obviously much smaller than the other three wheels? Is this how people end up damaging their Transfer Case? Just wonderin'...

=======
@christopherlompoc : I just checked latest rates for AAA:

$59 "Basic" tows 3 miles (LOL! Used to be 5 miles back in the 90's !!), 24 hr waiting period
$89 "Plus" tows 100 miles, 5 day waiting period
$119 "Premier" tows 200 miles, 10 day waiting period

What I want to know is - what happens to the rate after you exhaust the max mileage towing number? It's probably something like $7-$10/mile, right?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yes, it depends on the company is contracted to like the aaa logo on the trucks is kinda deceiving because it's not actually aaa its a company that also does aaa work. I've used it a handful of times since like 2010. I have like 10 miles or something because if u don't use it your milage increases... Been a member since 2008 but you get random perks like a extra FREE tow every few years keep in mind it covers like 3 tows a year I'm like who needs to be towed 4x a Year anyways? One time aaa actually rejected me stuck in the mud so don't get it if you plan on getting stuck in mud not snow. Keep in mind they will try and reject roadside assistance first then help they have like a schematic the driver uses first.... Like if there is basically ANY problems... Leaking fluids, can't steer, smoking, won't roll... Underwater ECT they won't touch it.Also don't expect them to show up super fast... And when you call don't rely on the 800 number ask what the tow company is and talk directly with them. AAA says 3-5$ a mile... After your few miles is up they charge whatever they want literally could be 50+ $ just to drop the car that price is totally wrong. Don't expect them to drop it at your house either they will ask what shop is it going to and they will recommend one as part of the deal.... Otherwise it is actually good....it is hilarious you keep overalls in your car lol good idea
have to throw on the "donut" spare
Awd is usually a higher trim level so it comes with a full sized spare I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You mentioned you carry a 22mm socket and breaker bar is what I also do in my vehicles. There is an issue with the OEM lug nuts in which they have the metal caps (two piece) that are famous for swelling that will prevent you from getting the 22mm socket on. Make sure your lug nuts can still take a 22mm socket and are not loose either. I have had the caps twist off and then I had too large of a socket. I swapped the lug nuts on my winter truck with one piece McGards as a couple of those were starting to swell after two winters. Transmission fluid? Spark plugs? Air filter? Cab filter? How old is the coolant? The frozen rims on the hubs mentioned earlier was a great mention. I have suffered with that problem myself years ago.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Let me guess, you are OCD.
I'm not really OCD, but on wife's car one TPMS sensor reads 1 to 2 PSI lower than the rest. Yet after driving 20 minutes or so will then read the same as the others. I know the PSI is the same since I inflate and measured, compared all tire pressures with two tire pressure gauges including my favorite digital one the reads the most accurately.

I checked that after having the tires rotated and sure enough, the same wheel and tire always reads lower than the others when cold. But I can't see having the TPMS sensor replaced just for that. . . . :cool:

·
Registered
2012 terrain 2.4 ecotec flexer
102 Posts
I recently took a 2500 mile trip. Looks like you already have some good advice so I'll include some comforts.

Hour after hour it annoyed me to see little specks on the windshield or dust on horizontal areas inside the car.

I pulled over and bought an armor all pack at Walmart. I cleaned the glass inside and out and cleaned the interior when I got gas or was in bad traffic. Again, hour after hour you notice where you missed a spot. My car hasn't ever been so clean.

I was also annoyed that my tire pressure was 35, 33, 34, and 34. I brought my bicycle pump it takes 15 pumps to equal 1 psig in the tires. I would pump them up with my bike pump to even them all out. Good idea to have a tire guage.
Hey Ebeo1, Pistol Pete here. Just wondering if you are the original owner of your 2012 2.4 Terrain with 124,000 miles and if so, is the engine original and untouched as in not having new rings or any internal work done. If so, kudos to you and gives me hope that these engines while prone to serious problems can last a long time with meticulous maintenance well before recommended intervals.

·
Registered
2012 GMC Terrian 2.4L Ecotec LEA 125k Miles
118 Posts
Hey Ebeo1, Pistol Pete here. Just wondering if you are the original owner of your 2012 2.4 Terrain with 124,000 miles and if so, is the engine original and untouched as in not having new rings or any internal work done. If so, kudos to you and gives me hope that these engines while prone to serious problems can last a long time with meticulous maintenance well before recommended intervals.
Well Mr. Pistol I'm not the original owner. I'm the second starting at 70k miles. A retired women who would drive 1000 miles to Hilton Head for the winter owned the car before me. I have 127k on it now but I do consume the normal quart every 1500 miles. I have done a couple of jobs to the engine but it's essentially untouched. The oil consumption brought me to this forum through googling the issue. It started right around 120k so I don't think I'll ever get the warranty work done. I watch the oil like a hawk now. The $7 or $14 extra between oil changes is worth it to prevent the engine failure issue.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I had the same issue, literally from all the oil burning it had about a pound of carbon in each cylinder.... Eventually cracked a piston all the way through from the increased compression like totally out of nowhere... No check engine light or nothing. The pistons are pretty thin also.

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T, Iron Gray Metallic, Build Date 12/10/21 Purchased 12/17/21
349 Posts
@Colt Hero "How does this work for AWD owners when they blow a tire and have to throw on the "donut" spare ... which is obviously much smaller than the other three wheels? Is this how people end up damaging their Transfer Case? Just wonderin'... "

On my 2013 I had a blowout and put the donut on - the AWD detects the big difference and disables. I would expect my 2022 is similar.

If it's a small difference I don't think the AWD detects it and that's when the supposed damage comes into play.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.