GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I washed my new Terrain today for the first time, I was unhappy to find the inside bottom lip of each of the four doors were coated with dried road salt. I cleaned off what I could see with a wet towel, but there are alot of metal folds and creases on the inside bottoms of the doors, so I'm sure there is probably salt I could not see.

Any suggestions for neutralizing the road chemicals and perhaps protecting that bottom edge from future exposure?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Road salt is going to get everywhere no matter what you do.
Unfortunately, it's water soluble and will get into cracks and crevices over time.
But, seeing as it's water soluble is a good thing as well, as it's easily flushed out.
Vehicles are coated and pre-treated to stand up to the elements, road salt included.

The most you can do is keep it clean and run it through a car wash with an underbody spray now and again to get those places you may not be able to reach with a garden hose.
Seems the jury's out on that one, however, as some seem to think that by spraying the underbody, you're actually forcing the salt and water to pool in places where they may not pool otherwise.

Six of one, half dozen of the other...what is a person to do?
;)
I guess we trust the metallurgists and chemists who come up with the coatings and treatments to help protect our vehicles from rust.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always towel the door edges and sills of all my vehicles when I wash them. This was the first time I observed a coating of road salt on the bottom inside edge of the door. A little disconcerting.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
tmozer said:
I always towel the door edges and sills of all my vehicles when I wash them. This was the first time I observed a coating of road salt on the bottom inside edge of the door. A little disconcerting.
I hear that, don't know what to tell you other than the metal is protected with e-coat, primer, base coat and clear coat there, as it is on the exterior of the vehicle.
I think/hope your only concern is cosmetic and since you wipe there with a towel anyway...
:)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gearhead said:
I hear that, don't know what to tell you other than the metal is protected with e-coat, primer, base coat and clear coat there, as it is on the exterior of the vehicle.
I think/hope your only concern is cosmetic and since you wipe there with a towel anyway...
:)
Well my first concern was cosmetic (or at least removing the residue I could see). However, after I though about it, my second concern was the salt I could not see. Next time I wash the car I think I will just take a very wet soft brush and do the bottom of the door extra well. Hopefully (since we are going to be in SC and FL the next month or so) the road salt issue will no longer be a problem.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had noticed the same thing, and also read a posting on this forum about the front splash guards preventing some of the build up inside the drivers and the passengers front doors. After I had the splash guards installed I did notice a difference. But I like to towell off the inside after a wash too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put up a post today dealing with the issue of mud coming in at the door bottoms. After searching I see the salt issue. Mud guards may help a bit, but don't correct the problem. Seems the issue is that the seal is not doing the job it is supposed to. If GM doesn't correct this, there will be many unhappy customers with corroded-rusted doors. I plan to contact the dealer, and will post results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts