GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone notice on rough roads the amount of road noise, is this from the tires (Michelin)) or is there not enough sound canceling fiber under the carpet, or is it just me. I did get the vibration noise from the plastic where the rear view mirror is that needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
673 Posts
These Michelins are made of hard rubber compound as these are the longer lasting tires.

You can lower the PSI a bit to compensate some, but your best bet would be to sell and get more cushy tires instead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2012 LT, V6 AWD. IMO the road noise is terrible on rough or semi-rough pavements. The tires are very hard rubber to roll easier. It isn't worth getting one more MPG. Why do the Latitudes get such high ratings for comfort and noise on tirerack's website. I personally think they suck. I am currently looking for replacement tires.

·
Registered
673 Posts
bestnoxyet said:
I have a 2012 LT, V6 AWD. IMO the road noise is terrible on rough or semi-rough pavements. The tires are very hard rubber to roll easier. It isn't worth getting one more MPG. Why do the Latitudes get such high ratings for comfort and noise on tirerack's website. I personally think they suck. I am currently looking for replacement tires.
That is because the reviewers have not owned higher end tires.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what would be the recommendations for better tires

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I agree the road noise is pretty loud in the Nox. I really noticed it yesterday when i took it on its first road trip. I would really like to see the difference in how much a tire would make and drive on the exact same road. I wouldn't think to much but i sure it would help. i think these nox's are just noisy suckers. My wife's Malibu is much quieter.
If i had the funds I would Dynamat the entire floorboard of the Nox and do extra sound denting. The carpet and sound damping material factory put in is super thin. When I vacuum i can tell. I felt alot better though when i ride in my Brothers nice expensive Audi and has just as loud road noise lol So i don't feel as bad. Maybe in the future I would sound proof as much as u can without adding to much weight. I think my grandma's 1995 Cadiallic Eldorado was the quietist car ever ridden in lol u can fall asleep easy.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
bowtieman said:
I agree the road noise is pretty loud in the Nox. I really noticed it yesterday when i took it on its first road trip. I would really like to see the difference in how much a tire would make and drive on the exact same road. I wouldn't think to much but i sure it would help. i think these nox's are just noisy suckers. My wife's Malibu is much quieter.
If i had the funds I would Dynamat the entire floorboard of the Nox and do extra sound denting. The carpet and sound damping material factory put in is super thin. When I vacuum i can tell. I felt alot better though when i ride in my Brothers nice expensive Audi and has just as loud road noise lol So i don't feel as bad. Maybe in the future I would sound proof as much as u can without adding to much weight. I think my grandma's 1995 Cadiallic Eldorado was the quietist car ever ridden in lol u can fall asleep easy.
I don't agree that the Nox is noisy, in fact it is one of the quietest vehicles I've owned. Sure there are quieter vehicles..but as you mentioned soundproofing adds weight, and those super quiet vehicles are usually some of the porkiest in their class. For me it depends on the type of road, and the Nox CAN get quite noisy on certain types of pavement...but that is due to the low rolling resistance Michelins and lack of wheel well insulation. I'll bet if you installed some quieter riding tires and figured out a way to dynamat the wheel wells (and maybe the doors) you would have a very quiet place to ride. Btw..back when I was car shopping back in late 09/early 2010....the Nox was considered the quietest of the smaller CUV's, and that was my experience with test drives. The Honda CRV at the time was one of the worst for tire/road noise.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't think the noise of my 2012 Nox is excessive. It is overall a quiet and comfortable vehicle.

·
Registered
673 Posts
You can spray this black foam in the wheel wells that helps with rust proofing and noise....I just cannot remember what it is called.

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
NODES said:
You can spray this black foam in the wheel wells that helps with rust proofing and noise....I just cannot remember what it is called.
If you are talking about undercoating (a tar-type substance), I advice against it. It can pick up salt in the crevices, and then you liable to start getting rust. Much better to have a little noise. Unless if you live in Arizona - Then, go for it !

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
NODES said:
How about dynamat the fender liner with it and then spray on plasti dip to hold it in place.
I never used Dynamat, but I would think you could just use that - and you would not have to use the Plastidip. Check their Website, they may have an opinion on use of it for that purpose. It may be a good idea, though. I think that it is fairly expensive - but not as much as trading in for a quieter SRX !

·
Registered
673 Posts
RIT333 said:
I never used Dynamat, but I would think you could just use that - and you would not have to use the Plastidip. Check their Website, they may have an opinion on use of it for that purpose. It may be a good idea, though. I think that it is fairly expensive - but not as much as trading in for a quieter SRX !

I would you the plasti dip to cover the silver material that makes up the dynamat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Funny you bring this up. My first Terrain (2011 I4) did have a good bit of road noise from my previous vehicle (2006 Envoy Denali). Both vehicles had the Michelin Latitudes. For the tires.....my past experience has always been good with Michelin, my OEM's on my Envoy was Goodyear's....replaced then for the Michelin's...quieter ride. I just traded (January) my 2011 Terrain in for a 2012 V6. This vehicle has Michelin's also. For some reason my road noise is far less than my 2011. And I'm not talking about the difference between the I4 vs V6 in noise....yes the engine (V6) is smoother and more quiet but road noise is much less. Don't know if GM added any insulation to the 2012.
I remember growing up when my Father purchased his new cars, he always had them undercoated.....now that was insulation from road noise!

·
Registered
673 Posts
WBG3 said:
Funny you bring this up. My first Terrain (2011 I4) did have a good bit of road noise from my previous vehicle (2006 Envoy Denali). Both vehicles had the Michelin Latitudes. For the tires.....my past experience has always been good with Michelin, my OEM's on my Envoy was Goodyear's....replaced then for the Michelin's...quieter ride. I just traded (January) my 2011 Terrain in for a 2012 V6. This vehicle has Michelin's also. For some reason my road noise is far less than my 2011. And I'm not talking about the difference between the I4 vs V6 in noise....yes the engine (V6) is smoother and more quiet but road noise is much less. Don't know if GM added any insulation to the 2012.
I remember growing up when my Father purchased his new cars, he always had them undercoated.....now that was insulation from road noise!

I do remember reading something about the 2012 getting a bit more insulated over the previous models. Not sure if it was not on our forums.

·
Registered
850 Posts
My .02 Our 2012 is very quiet on asphalt with the M Latitudes, but some concrete roadways can be noisier than others.
Yes, I think I read too that there is more sound proofing in the 2012's firewall area. I also have Ziebart sound deadening undercoating.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Some people today are overly sensive to tire noise. Many modern tires will off set a little noise for better wet or winter traction. Generally it is acceptable as most people have a radio on and most never notice or care.

You can get quieter tires but you will pay a price in traction in anything but dry in many cases. Also look for all season tires that the tread is inter linked or has a solid rib in the middle these will help on some noise. Anything with large blocks or lugs with gaps will create more nose. The solid center rib is there just to control nosie on most tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got a 2020 GMC Terrain SLE and I've noticed the loud cabin when driving. It's like I can hear every bump and crack in the road. Is it because the type of tire or is this just how the Terrain drives?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't agree that the Nox is noisy, in fact it is one of the quietest vehicles I've owned. Sure there are quieter vehicles..but as you mentioned soundproofing adds weight, and those super quiet vehicles are usually some of the porkiest in their class.
I concur. I have owned and driven cars that are quieter than the Nox but they all were larger, heavier vehicles. I've driven most of the competing CUV's to the Nox and based on my perception the Nox is definitely on the quieter end of the spectrum within the compact CUV group. Having said that, it could be better with better tires which I will correct when the factory tires wear down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts