GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the 17" and 18" wheels on their Terrain to know if the 17" wheels are not as harsh as the 18s with abrupt cracks? Also would the noise be any better with the 17"? It seems that on certain cracks my terrain seems unbearable harsh. Maybe thinking of getting some 17" wheels instead if it was worth it. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I really don't think going down an inch will have a noticeable impact on ride quality. I have the 17" wheels, but you have to live with the fact that no matter what size wheels you have, the Terrain/Nox is stiffly sprung and is never going to "float" over broken pavement. Tire noise does seem to be a bit excessive on some types of pavement, but I don't know if that's from GM skipping the wheel well insulation, the tires, or simply because all other cabin noises are muffled making it more noticeable..

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
Well...my wife and I notice a difference..enough to choose the 17". We had test driven several 4 cyl Equinoxs..all with 17" wheels....then looked for a 6 cyl with 18" to try out. Found one and I was busy driving the 6 trying to decide if there was a substancial reason to consider that engine. Secondary paved roads..and highway. First thing my wife and I noticed was the wheel 'clomp' on the highway compared to the quieter 17". We got back to the dealer and parked beside an Equinox with 17s and I pointed out to the wife that the 18s were a 'lower profile' tire thus noisier compared to more rubber on the 17s. It wasn't so much of a harsher ride persay..but the 18's noise seemed to interfear with the otherwise very quiet cabin enough to annoy us. Since we liked the appearance of the 17" wheel on the Equinox better in the first place..the deal was sealed on what wheel we would order.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can't tell any difference in the noise or ride between the 17 inch and the 18 inch. My wife's LTZ had the 17 inch and mine the 18 inch. I personally like the look of the 18 inch better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I test drove many with both 17" and 18" and for the life of me couldn't tell any difference. I have 18" on mine and all my friends and family have commented on how smooth the ride is and how quiet it is on the highway. Even on bumpy paved and unpaved roads it still seems remarkably smooth for a heavy vehicle with 18" wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts