GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous threads have discussed the benefits of Nitrogen gas fill in tires. As I recall, there were many non-believers in this product.

I had mentioned to the Service Manager at the Terrain dealer that I was not happy with gas mileage. He responded that I could get 1-2 mpg increase from Nitrogen gas fill in my tires. they charge $32. At other Nitrogen gas fill stations, the price is $20 for 4 tires.

There was quite a bit of research performed on this topic and independent studies have been performed without any conflict of interest. The math and science do not lie.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Do we really need another Nitrogen thread?

Could you not have just expressed your opinion in the existing threads?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The math and science may not lie, but that 1-2 mpg claim is dubious at best. Nitrogen is definitely more temperature stable..meaning that the psi won't fluctuate as much as the tires heat up, but the reality is that this is only really useful in a racing type environment where tire pressure can be adjusted in tiny increments. Also, claims that nitrogen won't escape through "the porous rubber" of tires or something like that is absolute rubbish. If you have air escaping anywhere but at the rim then it's time for a new set of tires. Also, whenever studies are done that claim their solution offers a gas mileage increase, you must take the results with a grain of salt. The only way to get close to accurate results is to have several identical vehicles with near identical mileage on the clock, and driven in the same traffic/weather conditions. Half of the group would have nitrogen filled tires, the other half regular air...and the most important thing is that none of the drivers would know which they had in their tires. There is always an unconcious changing of driving habits whenever a person knows that certain results are being measured..

To sum it up, there is nothing wrong with putting nitrogen in your tires...but paying $20-$35 is simply a waste of money. If the service is free, then why not....or even pay like $5 for the labor if you like, but just keep in mind that nitrogen is not some rare earth gas like helium....you're breathing it as we speak. ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm only glad a new thread was started because so many still believe the Nitro myths. As NoobNox states, we do breathe it (air is 78% nitrogen /22% oxygen) so EVERY air pump gives you 78% of the stuff already.

Want 1-2 extra MPG? Overfill your tires with either air or Nitrogen by 2-4 lbs. and you'll get it! Not great for tire wear or safe wet handling but......

I have seen some evidence of rim leaks , with alloy wheels, holding a bit better the pump air. But just a little.

Save your $$

SS

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Also keep in mind that unless your dealer/nitro fill station uses a vaccum to remove all the old air, (like some obsessive F1 teams do) you're not going to have 100% pure nitrogen in your tires. Like I said earlier, if it's a free courtesy service or low cost...go for it. Otherwise it's your money to spend as you see fit. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts