GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I think I posted in the wrong area so I am posting it here.

Hello all,

Just purchased a 2010 Terrain SLE for the wife for Xmas. Its really a nice suv for the money so she is really happy with it.
The only thing that I wish that came with the base model is the volume/radio station controls on the steering wheel.

My question is, can I retrofit the volume/radio controls? If so, is it easy?
Can the dealer do this? Any help in pointing me to the right direction would be appreciated.
By the way, I did a search on the forum but did not find the answer I was looking for.

Thanks!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Probably the only way to find out is to talk with the dealer or buy a FSM (factory service manual) from Helm inc and search for the harness connectors in the dash (IF they are even there). Obviously not an easy task let alone replacing the steering Wheel.You could get the wheel and harness from a bone yard. I replaced my sons steering wheel in his Firebird with a control wheel but we never got to wiring it before he pulled the stereo and replaced it. You will be looking at quite a bit of $$ even if it is doable.

There may be hope here is it done on a 2010 Camaro

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73511

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Some more light reading. I guess you would need a new wheel if you have the rubber wheel as there is no hole on the right side correct? Also not sure if the cruise harness has the volume plug or not that is what you need to pull the airbag and find out. If the plug is there I assume you can get a new wheel plug it all in and it MAY work just not bluetooth. All this is just a guess based on some of the reading below.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/GMC/Terrain/SWITCH-Mobile-Telephone-Radio-Radio/2937936/20851369.html

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188013

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/53772-How-to-Replace-Steering-Wheel-Controls

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Mochaman

Thank you again!

From your link it looks like I would need:
1) SWITCH. Mobile Telephone Radio. #4, there are two not sure which one I need - $78
2) Harness #3, although it looks like I can't order it.
3) A new steering wheel since you're right I do have the rubber one. - $208

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From this link I have:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214858&chapter=&Sectionids=0,2575&groupid=51862&subgroupid=8483&componentid=0&make=11&model=Terrain&year=2010&graphicID=FJ10335&callout=5&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

1) Radio switch W/leather #5 - $38
2) Harness w/leather #6 - No price (unless it's pre-wired)
3) Steering wheel W/leather #1 - $123
4) Trim cover Center W/leather #9 - No price
5) Outer Left W/leather #8 - No price
6) Outer Right W/leather #7 - No price

So basically a whole new leather steering wheel with trims and all.
It does not look too difficult and just taking a guess around $400 - $500 in parts since there are no prices on a few of the parts.
I'm not sure when I will tackle this project but I figure it is good to have in the forum.

:-\

·
Registered
472 Posts
I THINK the harness should be there already. It may only have the cruise plug though then you may be SOL. A wheel should be at a bone yard cheaper. You need to pull the air bag and see what you have under it and you will know. If both plugs are ther all you need is a wheel with the switches from a boneyard I THINK ;) Heck you might be able to get the wheel with the switches & hraness if you ask nice. :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have done the swap, I bought a Nox wheel not thinking about the backlighting color difference. The audio controls will not work just by swapping the wheel, unfortunately. I haven't been to the dealer to see if they can reprogram the bcm as was referenced in the camaro 5 forum topic. Just a little frustrated since I did the same swap in my 2010 Silverado and everything worked immediately. But I figured someone had to be the guinea pig lol.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Dealers cant do that kind of programming this platform I can though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@GTPprix are you saying that the dealer cannot do this kind of swap? or just the programming part?
@11SLE1 what year was your nox?

·
Registered
36 Posts
GTPprix said:
Dealers cant do that kind of programming this platform I can though.
Why can they not do this type of programming? What do you have that they dont? I dont see why you even post because every time you do all you have to say is your the only one that can do it, offer no details and make no offer on doing the services. You do nice things to GM vehicles and if all you want is attention then here is a :beer: . You should put a disclaimer in all of your posts saying "I will not provide any service or help on what you want to accomplish but I know how to fix it ha ha"

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

·
Registered
232 Posts
tahoebigah said:
Why can they not do this type of programming? What do you have that they dont? I dont see why you even post because every time you do all you have to say is your the only one that can do it, offer no details and make no offer on doing the services. You do nice things to GM vehicles and if all you want is attention then here is a :beer: . You should put a disclaimer in all of your posts saying "I will not provide any service or help on what you want to accomplish but I know how to fix it ha ha"

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Wow just think if you pulled your head out of your ass and learned to use the search feature all the things you could discover. I guess its a good thing that everyone here isn't as blatantly stupid as you are and know how to use things like PM's and email to setup getting this programming for themselves; moron.

ModernFX dealers cant do the programming for this swap, the parts and labor obviously no problem.

·
Registered
472 Posts
GTPprix said:
Wow just think if you pulled your head out of your ass and learned to use the search feature all the things you could discover. I guess its a good thing that everyone here isn't as blatantly stupid as you are and know how to use things like PM's and email to setup getting this programming for themselves; moron.

ModernFX dealers cant do the programming for this swap, the parts and labor obviously no problem.
could you post a link GTP I searched and found nothing for ModernFX

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mochaman said:
could you post a link GTP I searched and found nothing for ModernFX
he was responding to user mordernfx.

@GTPprix I have searched your posts here and other forums and you mostly provided this statement to everyone looking for help on something "I can do it and no one else can!" A forum is where enthusiasts go to share information on whatever the forum is about. Some people make a business from it, but unlike you they are great at customer service and service delivery. I am not saying you dont do a good job at what you do i am just saying you come off as a dick head sometimes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
tahoebigah said:
he was responding to user mordernfx.

@GTPprix I have searched your posts here and other forums and you mostly provided this statement to everyone looking for help on something "I can do it and no one else can!" A forum is where enthusiasts go to share information on whatever the forum is about. Some people make a business from it, but unlike you they are great at customer service and service delivery. I am not saying you dont do a good job at what you do i am just saying you come off as a dick head sometimes.
Yeah and? It's the truth; if you don't like it don't post.

·
Registered
472 Posts
GTPprix said:
Yeah and? It's the truth; if you don't like it don't post.
:banghead:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mochaman said:
:banghead:
LOL!! Glad to see you got your remote start issues all settled :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
GTPprix said:
LOL!! Glad to see you got your remote start issues all settled :)
Thanks for your help it WAS the gray switch this time :thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GTPprix said:
OK, cool. So if I get the parts will you be able to do this swap for me? That is if we are near each other or perhaps guidance.
I am thinking about doing it after the holidays.

·
Registered
289 Posts
modernfx said:
OK, cool. So if I get the parts will you be able to do this swap for me? That is if we are near each other or perhaps guidance.
I am thinking about doing it after the holidays.
I'm thinking it's more than just swapping parts and giving guidance. My guess is it deals with reprogramming the BCM or radio to recognize the controls are there and it's hardcoded which is why a dealership can't do it. Basically, it involves hacking to tell the computer it was added and Chris White is one of the few to be able to successfully do it. I guess you could remove the BCM and/or radio and mail that to him, but you'd have a dead car for a week or two. :thumbdown:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts