GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of changing the speakers to something other than the crappy oem. Could this possibly screw up the ANC or maybe cause it to not work? I just had a second speaker (in the passenger side doors) go bad.They sounded lousey to begin with. I wish I had specifically ordered my Nox so I could have upgraded to the Bose or Pioneer. My 2010 Camaro RS has Bose and sounds very good! FYI: My Nox is 3 months old and has 2400 miles.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I believe it will change how ANC works. Maybe a little, maybe a lot. ANC does rely on the exact resistance and performance of the speaker used. ANC does have to 100% match the sound it's trying to reduce. That only occurs with proper tuning of the speaker to the system.

Just a guess, but I think if you try to keep within similar specs, it is possible you may not notice any loss of ANC. On the negative end, it could affect it so deeply that it may make the ANC produce very odd and unpleasant sounds. It might actually amplify the noise it's trying to cancel.

My recommendation: Try it? Let us know the results :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I dont think it will change anything, the ANC only works through the subwoofer in the back, On the base radio's it would be pointless to replace the sub, as they dont function for music on base radio.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
10equinox said:
I dont think it will change anything, the ANC only works through the subwoofer in the back, On the base radio's it would be pointless to replace the sub, as they dont function for music on base radio.
I'd tend to agree.
I remember reading somewhere that only the subwoofer is used for Auto Noise Cancellation (ANC).
Shouldn't the speakers be covered under warranty?
If so, keep replacing them until the dealer gets it right LOL!

Sounds like you may enjoy your tunes cranked up a lot.
Maybe change the amp while you're at it if your budget allows.
There must be some aftermarket stereos that'll fit a base model by now, one would think.

·
Registered
54 Posts
ccharlie said:
I am thinking of changing the speakers to something other than the crappy oem. Could this possibly screw up the ANC or maybe cause it to not work? I just had a second speaker (in the passenger side doors) go bad.They sounded lousey to begin with. I wish I had specifically ordered my Nox so I could have upgraded to the Bose or Pioneer. My 2010 Camaro RS has Bose and sounds very good! FYI: My Nox is 3 months old and has 2400 miles.
Actually the Camaro has Boston Acoustics...not Bose.

The ANC uses the front door speakers as well as the sub. You WILL change the output of the ANC when you change the speakers.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
dsulli37 said:
Actually the Camaro has Boston Acoustics...not Bose.

The ANC uses the front door speakers as well as the sub. You WILL change the output of the ANC when you change the speakers.[/color]
Maybe so, but if the impedance and wattage of the new speakers is the same as the original, maybe it won't affect ANC?
If I was changing, I'd put in higher power capacity speakers which may then be more likely to affect ANC, I'd think.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Narg said:
According to Pioneer, the maker of the ANC system, it's just the subwoofer

http://pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/BusinessProducts/CarAudioSystems/2010-Chevy-Equinox
Actually Pioneer doesn't make the ANC system. They buy it from someone else....same supplier to Honda...Nissan....

AND yes, it uses the front speakers. impedence, size, etc do not matter....every speaker is different. Different materials...different frequencies...you will change the ANC output. How much? Depends.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wonder if there is a way to shut off the ANC, just for the hell of it, to drive around and see what the difference actually is?

·
Registered
446 Posts
dm2010nox, The ANC in the Equinox is quite different from the one used in the Honda Accord. GM needed to only cancel noises in the 30-100 Hz range. Only the subwoofer can produce proper sounds in this range. The other speakers cannot effectively produce frequencies below 100 Hz enough to make a difference. So the affect of changing other speakers will not have an affect on the ANC in the Equinox. Changing the sub would, like you stated, possibly make a major difference. Thanks for the info you provided.

Just for understanding by others: Basically, while traveling at highway speeds, the I4 engine in the Equinox has a nasty side effect of a low droning sound. The sound is produced by the engine's tuning that changes the timing of spark plug firing and valve timing in order to produce very high MPG. The ANC was introduced to reduce this annoying drone. The ANC does not work (or at least was not intended) on any other sounds. The normal quiet ride in the Equinox is more due to good insulation and build quality.

I would think the easiest way to kill the ANC would be to disconnect the mics. dm2010nox, do you know where/what color these wires are? Or do you use another method?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Narg said:
dm2010nox, The ANC in the Equinox is quite different from the one used in the Honda Accord. GM needed to only cancel noises in the 30-100 Hz range. Only the subwoofer can produce proper sounds in this range. The other speakers cannot effectively produce frequencies below 100 Hz enough to make a difference. So the affect of changing other speakers will not have an affect on the ANC in the Equinox. Changing the sub would, like you stated, possibly make a major difference. Thanks for the info you provided.

Just for understanding by others: Basically, while traveling at highway speeds, the I4 engine in the Equinox has a nasty side effect of a low droning sound. The sound is produced by the engine's tuning that changes the timing of spark plug firing and valve timing in order to produce very high MPG. The ANC was introduced to reduce this annoying drone. The ANC does not work (or at least was not intended) on any other sounds. The normal quiet ride in the Equinox is more due to good insulation and build quality.

I would think the easiest way to kill the ANC would be to disconnect the mics. dm2010nox, do you know where/what color these wires are? Or do you use another method?
Actually the boom is created from the torque converter by locking it up earlier....not allowing it to spin...it increases efficiency.

ANC has nothing to do with the hocus pocus you mentioned though...

·
Registered
830 Posts
It is really easy to do... just unplug front speakers and subwoofer and go for a ride.

·
Registered
115 Posts
dsulli37 said:
You can't do it....easily.
hmmm. well, in general, I have no idea what approach you are talking about, but yeah, seems like pulling a fuse or disconnecting speakers should do the trick. I am going to try this.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Narg said:

I think you must have me confused w/ someone else...I don't think that I posted any of this info...though I do wonder about how this system works...

·
Registered
5 Posts
10equinox said:
Why is there a sub speaker mounted in my 2011 LS AWD if the sub is not supposed to work??

BTW..My brand new LS AWD sub does not work..LOL. any help please??

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Steinberger Bass Player said:
Why is there a sub speaker mounted in my 2011 LS AWD if the sub is not supposed to work??

I already answered the thread you started...and the answer is also in the 3rd reply to this thread. ;)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Steinberger Bass Player said:

The rear mounted "sub" is only part of the noise cancelling system...until you upgrade to a Nox/Terrain with the Pioneer audio system...there is only one "voice coil" and it is dedicated to ANC
The Pioneer audio system also has ANC when coupled with the 2.4L engine...but the sub is also enabled as an audio subwoofer.

Get in your driver seat and look up at the headliner...you will see the microphone which "reads" interior engine feedback noise and sends the info to the ANC to cancel out the "disturbing noises"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts