GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
My friend has a 2013 GMC Terrain. She has a CEL on for P0011. I attempted to replace the intake side cam position sensor but I have no clue how to get the part out. Most of the Youtube videos I've found that mention camshaft position sensor then go on to identify the actuator or a crankshaft position sensor instead. I found the sensor on the vehicle but I've tried swivel sockets and everything under the sun yet cannot figure out how to get to the bolt to remove the old sensor. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Which engine do you have, the 2.4L or the 3.6L V-6?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The intake Cam Pos Sensor is held by one bolt and located near the rear of the engine.
It is accessed by removing the high pressure fuel pump cover, and insulator.
You may be looking in the wrong area.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
With code of P0011, double check to be sure you are after the Cam Pos Sensor and not the Cam Pos Sensor Solenoid Actuator.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
950 Posts
Tip would be to try and replace the actuators first. They are the most simple top left of the motor 1 bolt each... If it doesn't fix the problem I would go from there. Doesn't hurt to have a live data scanner to see the commanded position/ actual position of the cams at idle to pinpoint the actual problem. On these motors you could spend hundreds of dollars and several hours replacing vvt parts and still have the code if you dont know what the cams are doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks rednox301 and christopherlompoc! I'll double check that I am looking at the correct part as well as will look at the actuators. I did recently buy a new scanner that does some live data so hopefully testing the cams position is one of the options. I'm still learning all it's capabilities. However, since it is 19 degrees Fahrenheit outside today this job will have to wait a day or two because I'm not freezing my butt off when it is a friends car. haha. I'll report back how it goes. Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 GMC Terrian 2.4L 125k Miles
17 Posts
Tip would be to try and replace the actuators first. They are the most simple top left of the motor

I agree.

I had the same code. I found a YouTube video and it explained how to check the resistance of the actuator, which was fairly easy. Once I did that I found the issue and ordered parts of Amazon.

·
Registered
2012 GMC Terrian 2.4L 125k Miles
17 Posts
Heres the only photo I took of the job:
Here is my spread sheet notes:

GMCTerrianCamshaft Position Actuator Solenoid8/1/2020GMPart #
$36.99106,350
Miles
Amazon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys. My friend ended up taking her vehicle to a local shop before I could get back over to her house. But you guys were correct. The shop said it was the solenoids. Thanks for the help! And honestly I am almost glad she had the shop do it because it is too **** cold to be working on a car outside right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts