GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I had a pile of oil in my garage and thought maybe something was loose from when they did the oil change. I took the nox to the dealer and they found a pin size hole in the engine block and had to replace the engine. The nox had 6300 miles on it and was picked up at the end of April. I was wondering if anyone else has had the problem or something similar to see if it is a cause for a recall?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Which engine do you have? This is the first time I've seen anyone post that they had an engine replacement...probably a defect in the block, but if it was a widespread issue it would be all over this and other forums...not to mention mainstream news.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the 4 banger, they said what probably happen was a piece of sand got on the mold for the engine block.

·
Registered
332 Posts
pat1582 said:
It is the 4 banger, they said what probably happen was a piece of sand got on the mold for the engine block.
If that's the case I would think that it would be in GM's best interest to perhaps inspect the engine blocks, (ultrasonic, magnaflux, etc.) before assembly since this would save them a bundle in the end. This one case could cost GM $4K-$6K for the engine and $1.5K-$2.5K for dealership labour?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Did they tell you anything about the replacement engine? Is it brand new? Do you have to break it in?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They did not say anything about that, i assumed it was brand new because I do not think there are any refurbs out there yet. I would also assume that they would put a new one in because they would not want to have to have more issues with a refurb one for another 54000 miles.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
chasesnox said:
I had my I4 replaced at 9000 miles for a sound that no one could figure out what it was.
What kind of sound?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
chasesnox said:
It's hard to explain. Kind of a knocking tick and a rattle. It was also burning oil.
Wow...something you don't want to hear from any engine..much less a relatively new one. When you say "burning oil" do you mean that it was actually smoking out the tailpipe...or was the level just low every time you checked it? I guess what I'm trying to figure out s if the engine self destructed from lack of oil due to a leak, or if oil was actually making it past the piston rings into the combustion chamber..

·
Registered
25 Posts
It didn't smoke or leak. But the oil was below the dipstick when I did the first oil change. If you read the complaints on edmunds.com it is quite common.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts