GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
I’m wanting to replace my brakes and wanting to get recommendations on the affordable vented/drilled discs (that would fit), calipers, pads.

just to be sure I’d like to know if I only go with pads and discs which vented/drilled discs would fit if I use the stock calipers.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
No gain in stopping on drilled / slotted on stock brake system on a family street vehicle. Just more rust issues inside and outside in the rotors. Double issues in a salt zone.
Drilled/slotted stuff is for racing or autocrossing with dedicated severe high heat track usage not daily drivers. Cracking around holes is common also.
Just better pads and quality rotors will do the job.
Only gains in braking would be a full tilt rotor size upgrade with 6 piston calipers which would also mean rim size increases and tires to fit if they even make kits for these SUV's.
Some performance pads are very dusty, even if they claim low dust as that still means dust, they still are very dusty over OEM ceramic.
Been there and have done that on previous vehicles believing the upgrade hype.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what brakes/ pads are recommended or are you just going to be vague?
I’m asking for recommendations for replacement yet people on here just keep on their soap box with no suggestions just “…any quality…will do”

so again like in my original post, any recommendations of affordable replacements and/or upgrades?

thank you for your input.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,935 Posts
Everyone will have their own recommendation based on their own experience. I’ve used Wagner discs from RockAuto. Are they better than any other brand? I have no idea. They haven’t cracked and fallen off the car (yet), and the car seems to stop OK. Is it stopping sooner or later than another brand. I have no idea ... but I make sure not to drive like an idiot, maintaining a safe stopping distance to the next vehicle. That’s the most important thing.

And for pads, I just put a set of AutoZone ceramics on my 2011 V6 Nox about 80,000 miles ago now. The original discs are still on that one. I only went with ceramics because they allegedly throw less dust (or less noticeable dust). Have I found this to be true? I don’t know. Maybe.

Honestly - I think people change parts too often. Maybe you don’t even need new discs or pads right now? When I took the factory pads off my 2011 Nox at about 83,000 miles ... they were only about half worn (if that!). Almost just put them back on, but I’d already bought the new set ...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'll share...the local Autozone & Advance rotors all have warped in pretty much short order using their semi metallic pads. I always assure the caliper pins are clean and everything slides freely during assembly...but living here in the snow belt crime capitol of USA Illinois winter conditions can get very challenging. The one thing that I have found that helps some is cleaning all the mounting surfaces behind the rotor and the hub before installation and after taking time to correctly torque the wheel lugs and than after 100 miles or so rechecking the tq. I'm not so sure we can get rotors any more than are anything more than throw away metal junk freebies. I also tend to think the ceramic pads help reduce the friction losses and that they may run cooler giving the rotor a longer chance before heat warping occurs.

Nothing scientific stated just sharing my experiences so take this advice for what it cost you 💡

·
Registered
179 Posts
Over at bobistheoilguy.com, Akebono and Raybestos Element 3 pads are highly recommended. I have Akebono on my 2011 Terrain, and put the Elements 3's on my Mom's 2015. Both pads are excellent, Zero noise, low dust, great stopping power and ratings. I slightly prefer the brake feel of the Akebono's but the elements 3's are usually a little cheaper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey all.
I’m wanting to replace my brakes and wanting to get recommendations on the affordable vented/drilled discs (that would fit), calipers, pads.

just to be sure I’d like to know if I only go with pads and discs which vented/drilled discs would fit if I use the stock calipers.
Thanks in advance.
I replaced the discs and pads on my 2012 Terrain SLT-1 with Discitalia discs and pads.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Currently have Wagner OEX pads on my Tahoe and Equinox.
I only use coated, not painted, rotors as I'm in the salt zone.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Did not want to hijack but, this post was already started. Anyone use the Powerstop kit CRK5516 from Rock Auto / are they good quality ? Do not want to buy economy but would at least want OEM quality or better to R & R all four (rotors and pads). Being from Canada, AC Delco OEM parts will cost a pretty penny, and standard aftermarkets at local shop are about $550 - $600.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I put a Powerstop kit on my D in L's old Dodge Caliber a few years ago. Coated rotors also, no issues for a couple years afterwards until rust killed it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts