GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just replaced the 5 years old battery off the 2015 Equinox (just swapped it out without using memory saver). Everything seems working but the idle speed is at 900. I believe the idle speed was at 700 before I pulled the battery. I drove it for a week and the idle speed remains the same. Disconnected the battery and let it sits disconnected for about 5 minutes, pumped the brakes three times and turned the headlight on for a second to drain the power out then reconnect the battery. No change!

Turned the ignition key to accessory then turn it off. Repeat once more then start the engine. Put the car in drive for three minutes, killed the engine for one minute and started the engine again. No change! The idle still at 900!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Possible dirty throttle body.

If you let the vehicle idle for three minutes it should re-set itself to the correct RPM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possible dirty throttle body.

If you let the vehicle idle for three minutes it should re-set itself to the correct RPM.
Thanks, I did let the vehicle idle for three minutes after reconnect the new battery, turned the engine off for one minute then shut down and restarted the engine to repeat the idling for three minutes. No changes! I thought the PCM would relearn the idle even the throttle body is dirty. The throttle body do have a little carbon buildup but not much.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Possible Throttle Position Sensor issue, any codes set?
You may have to do a drive cycle and check your readiness monitors.
If you have codes set in memory, use a scanner to clear codes not a battery disconnect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possible Throttle Position Sensor issue, any codes set?
You may have to do a drive cycle and check your readiness monitors.
If you have codes set in memory, use a scanner to clear codes not a battery disconnect.
Thanks for the tips. No check engine light came on but I can do a scan to be sure. How to do a drive cycle and check the readiness monitors?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Link below is what I used when I replaced my battery and neg cable.
I tried to go through emissions for registration about 3 weeks later, wouldn't let me because a had two monitors still open.
I'm thinking this might be your problem, maybe engine is staying in open loop?

2.4L or V-6?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Link below is what I used when I replaced my battery and neg cable.
I tried to go through emissions for registration about 3 weeks later, wouldn't let me because a had two monitors still open.
I'm thinking this might be your problem, maybe engine is staying in open loop?

2.4L or V-6?

Rednox301. I only have a 2.4L. I will try the drive cycle to see what happens. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scanned the vehicle and no codes found. Driven for a week and idle in P is around 900-1000, if car is in D it is at 750. It is still high for me! If my memory serves me correctly, the idle was at 650ish before the battery swap at both P & D gear. Should I disconnect the battery for more than 5 minutes (that is what I did on my last try) to fully drain the computer systems in the vehicle? Changing a battery should not come with so much troubles!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Disconnecting your battery will clear some but not all DTC's.
Pending codes, usually Type 2, will be cleared by your drive cycle.
After you disconnect your battery, then you have to start all over with your readiness monitors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Scanned the vehicle and no codes found. Driven for a week and idle in P is around 900-1000, if car is in D it is at 750. It is still high for me! If my memory serves me correctly, the idle was at 650ish before the battery swap at both P & D gear. Should I disconnect the battery for more than 5 minutes (that is what I did on my last try) to fully drain the computer systems in the vehicle? Changing a battery should not come with so much troubles!
Weird I think mine is around that just below 1000 on park and around 700 on drive. Didn't think I had a problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It will throw a code for idle higher than expected if there's something wrong. U gotta drive around several warm up cycles idling ECT before it can pick-up the o2 sensors and everything it can take a while after that it should run smoother or code. Mine is 800 at warm up 750 hot from data stream seems like computer kicks it down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I will give it another week or two to allow the computers to adjust themselves. Except the idling speed, everything seems okay to me. I hope my memory did not send me to a wide goose chase. Maybe 1000 rpm in Park and 750 in Drive is normal. Appreciate if someone could chime in to confirm that for me. It is a 2.4L engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will give it another week or two to allow the computers to adjust themselves. Except the idling speed, everything seems okay to me. I hope my memory did not send me to a wide goose chase. Maybe 1000 rpm in Park and 750 in Drive is normal. Appreciate if someone could chime in to confirm that for me. It is a 2.4L engine.
Yeah mine is around the same. Sits just under 1000 probably 900-950 in park and around the 750 mark in drive. 2.4 2013 84k miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts