GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does someone is able to tell me if this is possible ? And if yes, give me a link to the antenna used to do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
Does someone is able to tell me if this is possible ? And if yes, give me a link to the antenna used to do that.
Someone's sent a sample in to manufacturer for appraisal and prototype design.
Not sure if product is finished yet.
Last I read they were having problems with the screw thread or pitch.
Search "sharkfin antenna replace" for starters and maybe you can find the thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gearhead said:
Someone's sent a sample in to manufacturer or appraisal and prototype design.
Not sure if product is finished yet.
Last I read they were having problems with the screw thread or pitch.
Search "sharkfin antenna replace" for starters and maybe you can find the thread.
Thank you gearhead :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
Thank you gearhead :)
My pleasure, YVW!

BTW, I noticed in your quote of my post that I had an sp:

Should read:
for[/color] appraisal and prototype design.

not

or[/color] appraisal and prototype design.
I fixed the sp in my OP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Did you ever figure out a way to change the antenna? Mine hits the garage door and I would like a low proile replacement.
Lee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
also watch with sharkfins you will loose a good amount of reception.....i got one on my 3 and lost my philly stations completely, i live in the middle of DE....get them in 100% with a stock one.....

sure looked alot nicer, so i just used my ipod more :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Just received mine in the mail from Visual Garage. It looks good. I have not noticed any signal degradation.
Simple install.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
looks good man.....VG makes good stuff....they routinely ran group buys through my old mazda forum all the time.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
For those that have the antenna too tall for going through your garage door, have you looked at the possibility of adjusting the stops on your door opener rails to allow the door to go up higher when open? Most doors can be adjusted to open the same height as the door frame.. I've seen a lot that are adjusted to be 6" or so below the door frame. My recommendation--take a close look, your fix may be very simple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I have had 0 problems. We still use the free navigation with Onstar and everything is as it was pre-fin. Radio and sat radio still have the same clarity and range. No new dead spots for any service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
bfork1 said:
Just curious how these aftermarket antennas affect the cellular operation of Onstar and the handsfree calls.
No problems for me, either. I don't have navi or XM, but onStar is fine.

If you could take a close look at a shark fin antenna you'll have no worries. I think it may be even better than the original piece which is simply a 12-15'' wire / optic fibre.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
That looks great. Might have to convince the wife one of these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The part of the antenna that replaces the fin is only the AM/FM function... the OnStar/Sat/Cell antenna is on the base, the part that you don't remove.

I don't know if it can degrade the signal... But i don't think so...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Hi...Just FYI:

I had the same problem with the antenna hitting the lowr edge of my gargare door upon entry/exit.
It only hit by about a 1/2", so I followed someone elses advice here on the forum, and just cut the top 1" off the antenne.
I bought some black Auto Goop and stuck on the insulated peice from a small aligator clip over the cut end.
No loss of signal whatsoever, and you cannot even tell that I cut a small section off the antenna.

The way I figured it was that I was prepared to pay to buy a new Shake Fin Antenna anyway, so it didn't make too much difference
if the cut antenna idea didn't work.
But it worked like a charm, and I saved myself the $$$!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
RSchleder said:
For those that have the antenna too tall for going through your garage door, have you looked at the possibility of adjusting the stops on your door opener rails to allow the door to go up higher when open? Most doors can be adjusted to open the same height as the door frame.. I've seen a lot that are adjusted to be 6" or so below the door frame. My recommendation--take a close look, your fix may be very simple.
I agree with this. I've seen a few complaints about the antenna hitting the door and I've wondered tall you door open is. Mine is a 7' opening and I have plenty clearance. The door can be adjusted to up more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
rjketche said:
Hi...Just FYI:

I had the same problem with the antenna hitting the lowr edge of my gargare door upon entry/exit.
It only hit by about a 1/2", so I followed someone elses advice here on the forum, and just cut the top 1" off the antenne.
I bought some black Auto Goop and stuck on the insulated peice from a small aligator clip over the cut end.
No loss of signal whatsoever, and you cannot even tell that I cut a small section off the antenna.

The way I figured it was that I was prepared to pay to buy a new Shake Fin Antenna anyway, so it didn't make too much difference
if the cut antenna idea didn't work.
But it worked like a charm, and I saved myself the $$$!!
:facepalm:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I have 6' 8" clearance, will that be enough clearance for my SLT2/AWD/4cyl expected late June?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
Spiritman said:
I have 6' 8" clearance, will that be enough clearance for my SLT2/AWD/4cyl expected late June?

Thanks
Serious answer...OH HECK YEAH !!! :thumb: :thumb: with plenty to spare
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top