GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any information, or perhaps even some service manual shots, on how to remove and replace the 2010/2011 Equinox headlamp assemblies?

I purchased the 2011 LTZ projector headlamp assemblies (part numbers 20997474 and 20997475), and need to know how to swap mine. :)

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't seem to find any service manuals for the 2010 or 2011 Equinox (Digital or Physical).

Any chance somebody here has access to one and can post the headlamp pages? If it's anything like the 2005-2009 book, it will be 3 pages.

The new lamp design seems like a PITA to change out - I really need some help. :(

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
theta said:
I can't seem to find any service manuals for the 2010 or 2011 Equinox (Digital or Physical).

Any chance somebody here has access to one and can post the headlamp pages? If it's anything like the 2005-2009 book, it will be 3 pages.

The new lamp design seems like a PITA to change out - I really need some help. :(
The manuals are available from Helms, but they are expensive. If you buy the digital version, I'm sure members will contribute for an archive copy.

I would think that with the lamp assembly in hand, it ought to be easy to figure out how to change it out. If you are near Schenectady NY, I'd volunteer to assist and provide a warm garage !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're very kind to offer! I'm in Saint Louis, and freezing my butt off in the garage. :p

The LTZ lights won't be here for a few days anyway, so I have a bit of time to figure it out. I just found the Helm pricing - $150 for the books, $400 for the DVD. No 2011 available until January (not really any changes to speak of, though).

The only problem I'm seeing is perhaps needing to drop the bumper to get these out. That is never fun. Maybe I'll get lucky, and somebody out there (maybe someone working at a dealership) will have those couple pages to share with us here.

I can't be the first one to do a LTZ projector transplant, can I? ;D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lights came today.

Anyone have even a page for replacing the headlamps? I can't find the last bolt... :(

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you jack up the front end you can remove that access panel from the wheel well. When I was in there I believe i saw a bolt holding the assembly in that you can only access by removing the front bumper cover. I hope Im wrong, but Im pretty sure about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The access panel is no problem. That's the little twist cover held in my a T-10 torx screw.

The bottom bolt makes me worried. I have no idea how to remove the bumper...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the bottom tab I'm talking about on the actual lamp:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No luck. Was only given the option to buy the manuals for $150 and wait a couple weeks. :mad:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'll try and ask my brother-in-law about a manual. He owns a GM dealership. If you need help, I live in St. Louis.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rick,

That would be amazing. I have it up in the air right now (well, on ramps) - pretty sure that front bumper cover needs to come off. Would love to know what the book actually says about that.

The older Equinox and Trailblazer models were a cinch - pull of the grille fascia and pop out the lamps.

I really want to be sure that I need to drop the bumper, since I'm deathly afraid of breaking the tabs/clips (if they still use those on bumpers). I broke the clip on every single GTO I owned, and the bumper never sat right again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just curious, is there a big difference between the regular lights and the LTZ lights?

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
rickbb63 said:
Just curious, is there a big difference between the regular lights and the LTZ lights?
Must be - seems like theta is investing about $500 plus time. They tend to focus the beam better, plus it allows you to add HIDs without blinding on-coming drivers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I did confirm that the front bumper cover must be removed. Then there is a tab that needs to be released. I won't be able to get any more detailed instructions until Monday when the service manager is available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rickbb63 said:
RIT333 said:
Must be - seems like theta is investing about $500 plus time. They tend to focus the beam better, plus it allows you to add HIDs without blinding on-coming drivers.
Yep, RIT333 is correct. These LTZ lamps have a projector lens for the low beam (H11) instead of a reflector. If you're going to upgrade to HID you'll need this, as it provides a cut off. Plenty of people run HIDs with reflector lenses - usually the Civics with 10000K bulbs blinding everybody - and it makes me want to pull them out of their cars... Generally the police grab them first, though. Average ticket around here for that is a $150 failure to dim along with a $100 fix-it non-DOT citation. Not so cheap around here, eh?

The cost of the 2011 LTZ lamps is around $290 each from GM, which actually went down from last year. You can buy aftermarket/reproduction LTZ lamps on eBay for around $200 each - not sure what the quality is like.

And lastly, because I know people will ask why we didn't just get the LTZ, there was a smoking deal on this 2LT AWD (think $9000 less than LTZ AWD), my wife didn't like the leather at all, and I hate chrome. ;D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rickbb63 said:
I did confirm that the front bumper cover must be removed. Then there is a tab that needs to be released. I won't be able to get any more detailed instructions until Monday when the service manager is available.
Thank you, Rick! Now I know that the bumper has to come off... I got under it last night installing HIDs in the fogs, and noticed that the bumper cover has all of the grille items clipped into it. I'm hoping I can just remove the entire cover, and everything else will come along for the ride without removing every piece.

If you get any detailed instructions on Monday, it would probably save me a day of time and cursing. :D

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
theta said:
And lastly, because I know people will ask why we didn't just get the LTZ, there was a smoking deal on this 2LT AWD (think $9000 less than LTZ AWD), my wife didn't like the leather at all, and I hate chrome. ;D
I was temped to ask that myself, but for $9K, I could justify quite a bit of sweat-equity to make the switch-over to Projectors. Wise choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RIT333 said:
I was temped to ask that myself, but for $9K, I could justify quite a bit of sweat-equity to make the switch-over to Projectors. Wise choice.
Why thank you. :D Since it was her car, I listened to exactly what she wanted/didn't want, etc. On my other cars, I only need the single option - fast. ;D

On the plus side, once Rick shows me how not to completely screw up my bumper, I'll be posting a walk-through for the headlamp swap. With the aftermarkets on eBay for under $400 a pair, I could see more LT owners doing the swap (assuming I don't fail miserably).

I'd post the HID installs, but somebody already put one up there for a Terrain. Pretty similar install. The fogs were easy to convert over to yellow HID - took me all of 30 minutes yesterday for both sides.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts