GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to remove the dealer's badge without of course damaging the paint. I assume most of them are stuck on with some kind of adhesive like tape? I have a heat gun, so I thought of heating the badge and pushing a plastic scraper behind it. What's the best method?

2010 Equinox 2LT 2.4
Mocha/Brownstone
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
I've used dental floss and fishing line to get behind the adhesive. Then an adhesive remover for final cleanup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
GMJay said:
I want to remove the dealer's badge without of course damaging the paint. I assume most of them are stuck on with some kind of adhesive like tape? I have a heat gun, so I thought of heating the badge and pushing a plastic scraper behind it. What's the best method?
Our Forum search engine works quite well.... welcome aboard.

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=1932.0[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will try the dental floss method today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
I really hate large dealership badges and especially the license plate frames, but thankfully my dealership uses a small, tasteful badge that I won't bother removing...and no plate frame. ;)

Oh, and btw...I've used the dental floss method successfully in the past on a warm day. Let it sit in the sun for an hour or so before trying it..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
I have never had a problem with a dealer badge...I simply tell the sales person that I do not want any form of dealer advertising on my car.

A few years back, a saleman at a Chevy dealer just gave me a condescending smile and said..."well, we like to put them on all our cars". I just smiled back and asked him if he was willing to pay $0.10 per mile as an advertising fee? I drive around 12,000 miles per year so that would be $1200 or $100 per month. I then gave him the option to to pay it all up front for a discount rate of $1000. He quit smiling and paged a mechanic to take the sticker and plate frame off. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
jstpsntym said:
I have never had a problem with a dealer badge...I simply tell the sales person that I do not want any form of dealer advertising on my car.

A few years back, a saleman at a Chevy dealer just gave me a condescending smile and said..."well, we like to put them on all our cars". I just smiled back and asked him if he was willing to pay $0.10 per mile as an advertising fee? I drive around 12,000 miles per year so that would be $1200 or $100 per month. I then gave him the option to to pay it all up front for a discount rate of $1000. He quit smiling and paged a mechanic to take the sticker and plate frame off. ;D
My father used this tactic...and like father like son...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
I peeled them off using my thumbnail in my driveway the night we took delivery, I removed the plate frames at the same time. My vehicle was fresh off the truck and I'm sure the stickers had gone on just hours before. I agree, requesting no advertising on the vehicle is definitely an option, but I'm sure the stuff was already on there and I chose to avoid any discussion on it...... Instead I just bought it, jumped in, drove it home, and peeled them off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jstpsntym said:
A few years back, a saleman at a Chevy dealer just gave me a condescending smile and said..."well, we like to put them on all our cars". I just smiled back and asked him if he was willing to pay $0.10 per mile as an advertising fee? I drive around 12,000 miles per year so that would be $1200 or $100 per month. I then gave him the option to to pay it all up front for a discount rate of $1000. He quit smiling and paged a mechanic to take the sticker and plate frame off. ;D
Brilliant. With the barrage of ads I have to be exposed to every day I sure don't want to add to it. And if I do I would like to be compensated for it too :-*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
715 Posts
More and more dealers are using plain old decals on the rear. They peal off easy if it's warm. You can also use a
credit card to gently scrape them off.
A little rubbing compound or cleaner wax/polish will rub out any marks.

The hard plastic or metal 'badge' type logo requires the dental floss solution and the clean up of 'goo' is all that's left.
A hair dryer/heat gun helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
THe hair dryer will soften the adhesive and lighter fluid, kerosene, charcoal lighter or similar will remove the residue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
Goo-B-Gone is the best remover of any type decal adhesive that I've found and is completely safe on any painted surface.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
GARYD said:
Goo-B-Gone is the best remover of any type decal adhesive that I've found and is completely safe on any painted surface.
Agreed
It is the safest because it does not contain any petrolium distilates
It may take a little elbow grease but you won't damage the painted surface

GooBgone and a heat gun are your best friends (use the heat gun carefully to not scorch the paint)(blow/hair dryers work ok but take too long = safe though)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
i used a credit card i no longer need and pried up the corner of the letters. i thing just gently removed the adhesive and it came right off without goo gone or anything. the stuff just balled up and i took it off. didn't mess up the paint at all.
now, do it as soon as you get the vehicle or pretty soon after before you get sun exposure and wax that will make variances in the look of the paint under the badge.

took me like 10 minutes to remove all chrome letters from my whole vehicle.
i tried the dental floss, but it wasn't thick enough and it actually hurt my fingers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Went out to check the dealer badge on my 2011 equinox last night after reading this forum--my dealer badge was small and with careful peeling on one corner, I was able to remove the entire badge and wipe clean in a matter of seconds--not a scratch...now I think its time to remove the license plate frames!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Ditto. The dealer only applied the decal on Friday so I removed mine today with my fingernail in about 2 minutes. I think it also helps if the adhesive doesn't ever get well baked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
I completely debadged my Terrain with the exception of the GMC on the front grille. It is so much cleaner.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top