GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was double parked (illegally) so I left my hazards on (was by a funeral of a co-worker). When I was going back to my car I tried to remote start it and it wouldn't start.
I decided to test it again later, after I got home I parked and turned on my hazards turned the car off and tried to remote start and it wouldn't, I turned off the hazards and it started with no problem.

Has anyone noticed this?
Is this normal, some sort of safety issue?

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have an older 88' GMC Sierra that I had remote start put on. It wouldnt start with the hazards on either. I think it may be a safety thing. Also if you have the Terrain/Equinox running off remote start and you open the hood, the vehicle will shut off.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phantm006 said:
I have an older 88' GMC Sierra that I had remote start put on. It wouldnt start with the hazards on either. I think it may be a safety thing. Also if you have the Terrain/Equinox running off remote start and you open the hood, the vehicle will shut off.
If you open the hood its understandable as it is/could be a safety issue, the hazards I don't understand why...

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
kuppyr said:
If you open the hood its understandable as it is/could be a safety issue, the hazards I don't understand why...
Duh how would you like to be a service tech working under the hood and granny has another set of keys in her purse and while sitting in the waitting room with the little rug rat and somehow the rugrat pushes the buttons to start the car

·
Registered
748 Posts
kuppyr said:
I guess it just that. Hazard lights. Maybe the car is assuming there has to be a problem for you to have them on. So the car wont start due to that reason, at least not by remote It wants to make sure you want to start it so it requires you to put the key in the ignition. If your azards are on and your car is on a jack stand or someone is under it on the side of the road, and it suddenly starts, that may be a problem. Does any of that make some semblance of sense or at least a little logic?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I forgot to check this out but is the cel on with remote start and hazards on?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I tried it today.
Will not start with hazards on
Will not start with the hood open

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Its a safety thing. With the lights on, the car thinks you are using them in an emergency and if you are why would you need to start the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think it is probably due to the fact that the hazard switch is one of the 3 ways to cancel the remote start and shut off the car after it has been remote started....

1- put key in, turn to on, then back off again
2- use hazard switch
3- turn off with the key fob

(going by memory, but was from the owners manual of my 2 wk old 2011 slt 2 terrain w/about 1400 km, loving it so far! )

Matthew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts