GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 11 Terrain, the dealer said you could remote start the vehicle and it would either cool down or heat up the vehicle depending on the outside temp. I have the "remote start seat heaters" set to on, but in playing with the remote start it doesn't seem to turn on the defroster/AC depending on the temp. Right now its ~30 degrees F when I get up in the morning and remote start the car. When I go out, the seats are warm but the heat isn't on. Anyone know why? I did find that when I leave the "auto" button on when park, it will use that setting when remote started but when it is off (like I usually leave it) remote start doesn't do anything with for defrosting.

·
Registered
101 Posts
jordanz said:
When I bought my 11 Terrain, the dealer said you could remote start the vehicle and it would either cool down or heat up the vehicle depending on the outside temp. I have the "remote start seat heaters" set to on, but in playing with the remote start it doesn't seem to turn on the defroster/AC depending on the temp. Right now its ~30 degrees F when I get up in the morning and remote start the car. When I go out, the seats are warm but the heat isn't on. Anyone know why? I did find that when I leave the "auto" button on when park, it will use that setting when remote started but when it is off (like I usually leave it) remote start doesn't do anything with for defrosting.
Check the manual, the Comfort and Convenience section within Vehicle Personalization. Using the infotainment config menu you can configure the climate control on remote start to On, Off or Last Setting (default).

·
Registered
748 Posts
You know I had the same question. Mine is set to ON, but the way the manual makes it seem like the car itself will pick out the best temperature. It only goes back to what I last set it on. Evn though it's only set to ON and not Last Setting. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Vehicles with an automatic climate control system will default to a heating or cooling mode depending on the outside temperature during a remote start. Once the key is turned to ON /RUN , the system will turn on at the setting the vehicle was last set to. If the vehicle has heated seats, they may come on during a remote start. This can also be found on page 2-5 of the 2011 Terrain owner’s manual. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
Vehicles with an automatic climate control system will default to a heating or cooling mode depending on the outside temperature during a remote start. Once the key is turned to ON /RUN , the system will turn on at the setting the vehicle was last set to. If the vehicle has heated seats, they may come on during a remote start. This can also be found on page 2-5 of the 2011 Terrain owner’s manual. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Is this a new feature in 2011 model or it should be like this in the 2010 also?

·
Registered
119 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
Good way to find out if your vehicle has this feature, read your manual...
I did read the manual... it is possible to miss or not understand a feature..

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am confused as to how this works as well. I changed my configuration so that the heated seats would come on with remote start (assuming the right temperature).

This morning I used the remote start, and neither the heater was on when I got in the car, nor was the seat heated up.

So I have two questions: (1) what is the required outside temperature to get the heated seats and heater to come on?

(2) Should we leave the auto button pressed in, and thus "on" when we exit the car the night before?

This is a bit unclear. I am usually in the habit of turning everything off before I get out of the car, but if we have to set the auto to "on" before shutting off, then that is fine.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rs505 said:
I am confused as to how this works as well. I changed my configuration so that the heated seats would come on with remote start (assuming the right temperature).

This morning I used the remote start, and neither the heater was on when I got in the car, nor was the seat heated up.

So I have two questions: (1) what is the required outside temperature to get the heated seats and heater to come on?

(2) Should we leave the auto button pressed in, and thus "on" when we exit the car the night before?

This is a bit unclear. I am usually in the habit of turning everything off before I get out of the car, but if we have to set the auto to "on" before shutting off, then that is fine.

Thanks in advance.
I've found through trial and error that I have to leave everything set to "auto" when I park for the night in order to have the vehicle defrost on remote start. It is ~30 degrees F in the morning here with visible frost all over the Terrain but unless I push "auto" when I park the night before it will NOT defrost the windshield/heat up the car and seems to just run the engine. My seat heater does work through with the remote start. Maybe this is a programming error for the 2011 that hasn't been noticed widescale yet?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Remote Start Heated Seats

When it is cold outside, the
heated seats can be turned on
automatically during a remote
vehicle start. The heated seats will
be canceled when the ignition is
turned on. Press the button to use
the heated seats after the vehicle is
started.

The heated seat indicator lights on
the button do not turn on during a
remote start.

The heated seat temperature
performance of an unoccupied seat
may be reduced. This is normal.
The heated seats will not turn on
during a remote start unless the
heated seat feature is enabled in
the vehicle personalization menu.

·
Registered
101 Posts
TheCrow1994 said:
Remote Start Heated Seats

When it is cold outside, the
heated seats can be turned on
automatically during a remote
vehicle start. The heated seats will
be canceled when the ignition is
turned on. Press the button to use
the heated seats after the vehicle is
started.

The heated seat indicator lights on
the button do not turn on during a
remote start.

The heated seat temperature
performance of an unoccupied seat
may be reduced. This is normal.
The heated seats will not turn on
during a remote start unless the
heated seat feature is enabled in
the vehicle personalization menu.
OK, but WHEN is it "cold" outside? 40 degrees? 30 degrees? I personally woud like to have the option to configure that.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Kind of guessing here but I believe mine kicks on the rear defrost and mirrors at about 2 degrees celsius, so around freezing. I don't do the pre-heated seat thing but I imaging it uses the same threshold.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Terrain said:
Kind of guessing here but I believe mine kicks on the rear defrost and mirrors at about 2 degrees celsius, so around freezing. I don't do the pre-heated seat thing but I imaging it uses the same threshold.
Man, I hope not, my butt is cold way above freezing point. Besides, we only get a couple of weeks a year below freezing. Now, about those 5 months over 90 F...

·
Registered
157 Posts
From service manual:

"Some vehicles allow the customer to configure their heated and/or ventilated seats to come on after a remote start is commanded. The heated seats will only come on if the outside air temperature is below 50°F as measured by the outside air temperature sensor."

·
Registered
297 Posts
gmiemigrad said:
From service manual:

"Some vehicles allow the customer to configure their heated and/or ventilated seats to come on after a remote start is commanded. The heated seats will only come on if the outside air temperature is below 50°F as measured by the outside air temperature sensor."
Thanks for the explanation!

·
Registered
101 Posts
gmiemigrad said:
From service manual:

YES!!! thank you gmiemigrad! And thanks GM, my butt and I are thankful :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
You answered my exact question, why does my rear defrost stay on after i start the ignition when using auto start... I guess the rear defrost is linked to the heated mirrors which like the heated seats, will kick on when the outside temp is approx 30 degrees. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
You answered my exact question, why does my rear defrost stay on after i start the ignition when using auto start... I guess the rear defrost is linked to the heated mirrors which like the heated seats, will kick on when the outside temp is approx 30 degrees. Does that sound right?
Not sure of your year, make and model.
In my 2014 Nox LTZ, the heated mirrors go on with the rear defroster.
That's why you cannot find the switch to turn the heated mirrors on.

Rear defroster switch is on the center stack, you can turn it off anytime.
Heated mirrors are on a timer to turn off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2019 Terrain SLT and that seems to be the case. The car is fairly new to me, still learning all the features and after reading this thread, i'm wondering if i should be using the "Auto" setting on the climate control. I have the remote start, and i use it daily, and not that i'm thinking, the only thing warm when i get in is the seat... meaning i can tell the heat has not been running... the car isn't horribly cold and i'm typically in a rush so its taken me a few weeks to notice. What exactly do i have to do to have a warm car when i get in??? Please help! I've read the manual and i just dont understand.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've noticed that mine, when remote started under 50 degrees, will turn on the heated seats, but they must turn on to low. I just know they are nowhere near as hot as if I turn them on with the switch, but I can feel them. I do find it odd that the rear defroster stays on after remote starting, even after the key is inserted. I have to turn that off each time with the button. I park in a garage, so no reason to drive around with that on

1 - 20 of 20 Posts