GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with the factory remote start and automatic climate out there? My Terrain when remote started puts the climate control in the same setting as when the car was stopped. According to the manual, it is supposed to sense the outside temp and set the climate accordingly. This is simple to test, as you can set the climate for the opposite of what the vehicle should be at (e.g. high heat when it is hot outside) and then turn off the engine and remote start. Does anyone else have this issue? GM is stumped and so far leaning to "maybe the owners manual is incorrect". BTW, I have a Silverado that works exactly as advertised.

As we usually turn off the A/C before stopping to prevent mildew build up, this has been an issue during the summer as the car never cools down the interior when remote started.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You turn off AC before stopping to prevent mildew buildup where?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I understood it to keep the setting that was set before turning off the car.

If I set it for let's say 70* and when I remote start it later, it will go to 70* no matter what the outside temp is.

I've done the same thing as granto ever since I read an article about turning off the a/c a block away before turning off the car. I think the article was about stopping the bad smell of mildew in certain conditions. It was a long time ago so my memory is a little fuzzy on the reason, but it was in one of my car magazines. Since it doesn't hurt anything I don't see any problem doing so.

·
Registered
62 Posts
granto said:
As we usually turn off the A/C before stopping to prevent mildew build up, this has been an issue during the summer as the car never cools down the interior when remote started.
When you turn off the A/C, the Auto goes OFF. So this will be the status when you remote start it. It just goes on the last status. It has no way to figure that you want it on Auto, it's a machine!
Leave it on Auto and it will fix your problem.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
granto said:
Anyone with the factory remote start and automatic climate out there? My Terrain when remote started puts the climate control in the same setting as when the car was stopped. According to the manual, it is supposed to sense the outside temp and set the climate accordingly. This is simple to test, as you can set the climate for the opposite of what the vehicle should be at (e.g. high heat when it is hot outside) and then turn off the engine and remote start. Does anyone else have this issue? GM is stumped and so far leaning to "maybe the owners manual is incorrect". BTW, I have a Silverado that works exactly as advertised.

Thanks.
Did you even contact customer assistance regarding your concern? Do you have a case? I would be happy to look into this for you. Please feel free to contact me privately with more information. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GARYD said:
I understood it to keep the setting that was set before turning off the car.

If I set it for let's say 70* and when I remote start it later, it will go to 70* no matter what the outside temp is.

I've done the same thing as granto ever since I read an article about turning off the a/c a block away before turning off the car. I think the article was about stopping the bad smell of mildew in certain conditions. It was a long time ago so my memory is a little fuzzy on the reason, but it was in one of my car magazines. Since it doesn't hurt anything I don't see any problem doing so.
The manual says it is supposed to sense the outside temp and adjust the climate system accordingly and that is exactly what my Silverado does.

On the Mildew, you are correct. Keeps moisture from staying in the system. Learned the hard way on my old vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JohnEqui said:
When you turn off the A/C, the Auto goes OFF. So this will be the status when you remote start it. It just goes on the last status. It has no way to figure that you want it on Auto, it's a machine!
Leave it on Auto and it will fix your problem.
That's not the way the manual says it should work and the way the system works on my Silverado.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
Did you even contact customer assistance regarding your concern? Do you have a case? I would be happy to look into this for you. Please feel free to contact me privately with more information. Thank you in advance.

Yes, opened a case and the conclusion was that it was not working the way the manual stated, and you sent me to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
What I don't understand is what does the outside temp have to do with anything. If you set the temp inside to 70*, it is suppose to keep it at that temp no matter what the outside temp is. I believe the sensor in inside the car not outside.

When I turn off the a/c before turning off the car, it will be on the next morning and set for the previous temp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GARYD said:
What I don't understand is what does the outside temp have to do with anything. If you set the temp inside to 70*, it is suppose to keep it at that temp no matter what the outside temp is. I believe the sensor in inside the car not outside.

When I turn off the a/c before turning off the car, it will be on the next morning and set for the previous temp.
From the manual: Vehicles with an automatic climate control system will default to a heating or cooling mode depending on the outside temperature during a remote start. Once the key is turned to ON/RUN, the system will turn on at the setting the vehicle was last
set to. If the vehicle has heated seats, they may come on during a remote start.

To illustrate, let's say you drive your car to work in the morning when it is cold, then go back to the car in the afternoon when it is hot. The remote start is supposed to sense that it is now hot outside, and if you left the car in a heated position, it is supposed to sense the outside temp is now hot and cycle on the AC compressor with appropriate fan speed to cool the car.

·
Registered
177 Posts
granto said:
From the manual: Vehicles with an automatic climate control system will default to a heating or cooling mode depending on the outside temperature during a remote start. Once the key is turned to ON/RUN, the system will turn on at the setting the vehicle was last
set to. If the vehicle has heated seats, they may come on during a remote start.
My 2010 Nox works exactly this way based on the temperature set. In fact, during a remote start, it will aslo turn on the rear defroster automatically if it's cold enough outside.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nuclear1986 said:
My 2010 Nox works exactly this way based on the temperature set. In fact, during a remote start, it will aslo turn on the rear defroster automatically if it's cold enough outside.
Good to hear. They updated the software today, waiting to hear if that worked. Gives me ammo to fight against "the manual must be mis-printied".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
I would be happy to look into this with your case number as well. Thank you.

I don't see a case # in our message thread, here is the last message you sent me:

Re: Remote Start and A/C
« Sent to: granto on: August 18, 2011, 08:53:15 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would recommend contacting your local dealer for more assistance. I can also look into this with your VIN. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Doesn't help your situation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a misprint. The same has occurred with an RKE issue - the manual says non-power liftgate models will be equipped with a liftgate release button (similar to on a sedan where it just unlatches the trunk). In reality though, LS/1LT/2LT (w/o pwr liftgate) models have an inactive button that does nothing where the release should be.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
vince730 said:
Doesn't help your situation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a misprint. The same has occurred with an RKE issue - the manual says non-power liftgate models will be equipped with a liftgate release button (similar to on a sedan where it just unlatches the trunk). In reality though, LS/1LT/2LT (w/o pwr liftgate) models have an inactive button that does nothing where the release should be.
That is what I am starting to think. The manual has the same language as my Silverado, but the system is not behaving that way. They did the software update and claimed it was fixed, but I left it to bake for a while and remote started it, the air coming out was the same temp as the outside. So far the system appears that all it does is activate the ventilation system to the setting it was left on when the engine was shut off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine works as the manual states. When it was in the 90's, I remote start my car and when I get in the A/C is on. Yesterday morning was about 57, and when i remote started, the heat was on. I keep my auto climate control set on about 74 degrees and it gets plenty cold at that setting when it's 80 to 90 degrees out. And I also noticed while I drive when the temp is around 57 and as it starts to warm up as the day goes on, the A/C get colder as the outside temp rises.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My AC has the option for ac to be last setting on remote start.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was finally able to get an answer from GM on this. They said that both the user manual and dealer notes were wrong. That it does not sense and change the HVAC settings. If it is on Auto it will respond to the outside temp to bring the car to the auto temp that is currently set. If you don't leave it on auto, then it will come up to the previous settings when remote started.

As I like to turn off the A/C compressor before stopping the car this is a problem (As this takes it off of Auto). I found a workaround that can be used in the summer. There is a convenience setting to always have the A/C turn on when started. Our plan is to set this in the summer and it should be a work around.

GM says they updated the dealer notes, but the manual will continue to be wrong for now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is a new issue for GM. I have a 2011 Nox that doesn't follow the user guide at all. Previous generation remote start systems with GM all took care of the temp for you. If it was hot inside(outside) the a/c kicked on, cold inside(outside) the heat kicked on. Now it seems it is no better than an aftermarket system. What is I forget to set my system prior to exiting the vehicle? Defeats the point of the entire package. Dealership told me that upon remote start blower speed was not adjustable but last temp setting would be used. If I'm understanding correctly, selecting auto temp prior to shut off will NOT decide heat/cool for me? If this is the case GM is responsible for reprogramming the computer to work correctly as they are legally obligated to have the car function as stated in the user guide which states those owners with auto temp can choose to let the car decide or pick the temp on their own. It's a simple remote start based on computer code. Should be an easy fix for them. While they are at it, maybe adding in a low washer fluid idiot light would be nice?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts