GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My remote control system does not work, so I think it was my key. I bought new key and programed it, but the remote does not work yet.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
mateito said:
My remote control system does not work, so I think it was my key. I bought new key and programed it, but the remote does not work yet.
If your still under warranty,, First stop would be the dealer
How did you program the key????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I bought the Terrain used.
First, you can put the key programed in the ignition and turn to on position, but dont turn on the car. All lights turn on the DIC and you must wait until the security light turn off. Then remove the key and insert the new key and wait until the security light turn off. Now, test the function.

·
Registered
483 Posts
mateito said:
First, you can put the key programed in the ignition and turn to on position, but dont turn on the car. All lights turn on the DIC and you must wait until the security light turn off. Then remove the key and insert the new key and wait until the security light turn off. Now, test the function.
Not sure where you got those programming instructions. Try this.

Sit in the car’s driver’s seat. Insert the key and turn it ON. Push the INFORMATION button on the information center until the display reads PRESS TO RELEARN KEYS. Push the CHECK button. Push and hold LOCK and UNLOCK on the remote. Wait about 15 seconds or so. You’ll hear the horn chirp. The remote is programmed. Repeat for the additional remotes you need to program; you can program up to 8.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments.

I got this information in another forum about chevy autos.

I tried to do your instruction, but I can't to get this option in the information center. When I go to the vehicle info I have 4 buttons: menu, up and down arrow and set/clear, and after push menu button, I can see only 3 options: unit, tire presure and remaining oil life.

Is there any instruction more?

I am in Peru, I bought this vehicle in USA and put a special comand becuase I am a disable people.

·
Registered
949 Posts
mateito said:
Thanks for the comments.

I got this information in another forum about chevy autos.

I tried to do your instruction, but I can't to get this option in the information center. When I go to the vehicle info I have 4 buttons: menu, up and down arrow and set/clear, and after push menu button, I can see only 3 options: unit, tire presure and remaining oil life.

Is there any instruction more?

I am in Peru, I bought this vehicle in USA and put a special comand becuase I am a disable people.
I see. You are looking at the dash for the menus. The menus that you want to look at for these functions are the menus that show in the RADIO. Look at the radio, the knob that you use to adjust the radio station is the one you'll use the most. You can push the center of this knob, which reads "menu/select", and you'll see different menus show up on the RADIO display. You can go down to a different menu by rotating that same knob, and then select a menu by pressing the middle of that knob again. If you click on the wrong menu, and can't find what you're looking for, you can press the "back" button, right below the radio, to go back to the previous list of menus.

Through these menus in the RADIO, you can change several different little options on the vehicle. I think the Owner's Manual goes through a list of those options that you can change, and describes each one a little bit, but I'm not sure what page it's on.

Hope this helps!

Black Granite LTZ - can you really program 8 remotes? Who would need 8 remotes for one car?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I pulled the remote programming instructions off of the Internet. I wondered why you would need 8 remotes also LOL.

Also, I found out that the instructions apply to 2010 model Terrains and Equinoxs only. For 2011 you have to go to a dealer and have it done with a Tech II.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Black Granite LTZ said:
I pulled the remote programming instructions off of the Internet. I wondered why you would need 8 remotes also LOL.

Also, I found out that the instructions apply to 2010 model Terrains and Equinoxs only. For 2011 you have to go to a dealer and have it done with a Tech II.
Gee - the '11 owners get screwed again. First they lost the TPMS programming capability, then the Remote Keys, but they did get the Engine Running Monitoring System (ERMS) - the noise at start-up.

·
Registered
949 Posts
RIT333 said:
Gee - the '11 owners get screwed again. First they lost the TPMS programming capability, then the Remote Keys, but they did get the Engine Running Monitoring System (ERMS) - the noise at start-up.
Ohhhh goodness. Thanks for the laugh. (However, it doesn't make me feel any better that the noise has now returned for me, after all of the "good" repairs, lol)

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Sumr616 said:
Ohhhh goodness. Thanks for the laugh. (However, it doesn't make me feel any better that the noise has now returned for me, after all of the "good" repairs, lol)
Oh no ! It's back permanently ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The radio's menu shows this options: time and date setting, radio and phone setting and vehicle setting. After access to vehicle setting, there are another options more: climate and air quality, covenience and comfort, lighting, languages, power door locks, remote lock/unlock/start and factory settings.
I tried to do the instructions sent here, but is imposible, so I think that my problem is in the remote control sensor, because like I commented before, I bought this used car with electrical problem.

If anyone knows more instructions for discard this, please help me.

I asked my friend in miami to do repair it, but after received it here, I had to check all again. First I ask the service manual by internet, and after that, I can remove and disassembly the instrument panel, DIC, radio, etc, etc. Then, I replace cables damage an clean all connectors. Now, my car is ok, but only a little problems like this, but little by little I want to repair all little details.

Another problem is in the steering wheel , when I turning on first time, the movement does not good, but after a low force, then it works very good until I have turn off the car.

·
Registered
300 Posts
On the subject of remotes, did any of you see the thing about holding a remote under your chin or by your temple to increase the range? PcWorld magazine had an article about it that several of the staff tried and claimed it increased the range from about 100 feet to 140 feet. They must have been using vehicles with the older remotes because I know my remote will work way over that range just using it in the normal manner. In fact I've wondered if GM did something to increase the range because of the remote start. I know the remote for the Nox will work a whole bunch farther then the remote did for my old Impala.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Don B said:
On the subject of remotes, did any of you see the thing about holding a remote under your chin or by your temple to increase the range? PcWorld magazine had an article about it that several of the staff tried and claimed it increased the range from about 100 feet to 140 feet. They must have been using vehicles with the older remotes because I know my remote will work way over that range just using it in the normal manner. In fact I've wondered if GM did something to increase the range because of the remote start. I know the remote for the Nox will work a whole bunch farther then the remote did for my old Impala.
I've had aftermarket remotes installed in my vehicles since the early 90's and that little tip always worked when leaving work I'd be able to start vehicle that was parked at the far end of the parking lot from inside the plant(ever see how big a GM plant and parking lot are?) Now you can start it from the other side of the country with your iphone.I've tried that with current remote and I'm not sure it helps dismal range on it

·
Registered
338 Posts
mateito said:
This is a correct procedure to program. If it doesn't work then there are other problems in the system.

·
Registered
177 Posts
ChevyMgr said:
This is a correct procedure to program. If it doesn't work then there are other problems in the system.
Just to clarify, don't you need both original keys? As I understand the procedure, you insert original key 1, turn to ON position, remove, then insert original key 2, and do the same. The last key is the new one you want to program. Correct?

·
Registered
338 Posts
nuclear1986 said:
Just to clarify, don't you need both original keys? As I understand the procedure, you insert original key 1, turn to ON position, remove, then insert original key 2, and do the same. The last key is the new one you want to program. Correct?
You may be right, but I'm not sure. Never had anyone wanting to purchase a new fob/key unless they were down to only one. I would think you don't need both since only the new one needs to be programmed. If you have 2 master keys and want to program a third, I would think you would only need to use one master. The old fobs required both being programmed at the same time when you use the TechII scanner, if you choose the erase all old fobs option when programming. You could however add a new fob and not need all masters. I'm sure someday an equinox owner with two fob/keys will add a third and I will know for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fortunately, I can get a locate chevrolet dealer and they verify about the remote system. Then we could conclude that perhaps there is a problem in the wiring, shall review and perhaps change the sensor.

Now, I could enable my second key, but the remote funtion does not work, yet.

Also, after my visit to chevrolet dealer, I got to solve my steering wheel problem. They reprogramming the sterring angle.

Thanks for your help friends.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ChevyMgr said:
I'm sure someday an equinox owner with two fob/keys will add a third and I will know for sure.
Not sure how I did it, but I ordered 2 new remotes for my remote start install & somehow they all work with the car now.. any clues?

·
Registered
22 Posts
cpem1276 said:
Not sure how I did it, but I ordered 2 new remotes for my remote start install & somehow they all work with the car now.. any clues?
Nevermind, after some searching around it seems I inadvertently programmed the remotes by simply trying them out in the ignition to make sure they worked.
See: equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=1117.msg32147#msg32147

1 - 20 of 20 Posts