GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of the red dash lights? After having our Terrain for about 1 week my wife doesn't like them and I'm just OK with it. I've tried dimming the lights and it helps a little but not much. Maybe it just takes time to get used to them.

Is this a GMC standard? I guess it was Pontiac's color as well. I've read the red lights are supposed to be easier on the eyes because the pupils are less affected by the color than other colors. Green is also supposed to be good.

·
Registered
635 Posts
When I test drove the terrain I found the red display blurred and made it difficult for me to make out what was displayed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
One reason i liked the equinox.....the blue lights

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same here - blue lights!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Red dash lights........That was the number one reason i chose the Equinox over the terrain...................just cant see red,

·
Registered
830 Posts
Red is the dash lighting color of Pontiac that they recycle in the GMC Terrain :p In other words the GMC Terrain is a Pontiac Torrent rebadged.

Sorry, alomost forgotting to keep on the subject... to me i have no problem with red and i don't hate the red interior, looks terrific and not blurred in the dark :) can be because i'm used to that with one of my last car that was a Pontiac Montana back in 2002.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I really like the look of the red dash lights and have not had an issue with it. I've wanted the red dash lights for a while now. I think it makes the interior more 'sporty' looking. I like the way it lights up around the doors and the cupholders.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I had red in my Aztek. I was kinda hoping for blue for a change. Too bad it couldn't be like the Mustang....you can change it to any color you want.
Maybe things have changed. I see green EXIT signs now instead of red. Red is still used in darkrooms. When I was in communications in the Marines, our comm trucks all had red lights.

·
Registered
441 Posts
for at night, red is easier on the eyes, and you can adjust better to red at night then a bright blue......the cones in your eyes arent sensitive to red light...

if the blue is more blue-green, thats not bad, but if its blue-white, id rather the red....

you should generally dim your dash lights at night anyway to reduce glare and strain....keeping the focus on the road, not your lights on the dash :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
I had 4 montanas with the red and I didn't have a problem. Now I do. Maybe its the aging process :-\

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do the other GMC models also have red dash lights?

·
Registered
432 Posts
i was like "whoa too much red" to begin with when i first night drove the terrain but now its kinda grew on me and i think its pretty cool...

would love the option to cycle through a few different colors tho... *cough* dads POS ford can. *cough*

sorry i must have something in my throat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I really like the red lights, and find that it compliments the stitching during the day. That being said, I would certainly welcome the option to change to other colors like some other users have mentioned.

·
Registered
239 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
Red is the dash lighting color of Pontiac that they recycle in the GMC Terrain :p In other words the GMC Terrain is a Pontiac Torrent rebadged.
I think you are way off base on the 'rebadged Pontiac theory'.
You think that grill was gonna end up on a Pontiac but for the badge? That the wheel arches were meant for the next gen Torrent?
There is not a single design feature on the Terrain that might have had any place inside the Pontiac family except the red dash lights and from what I understand they can also be found in the only other GMC crossover, the Acadia.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
GMCdriver said:
I think you are way off base on the 'rebadged Pontiac theory'.
You think that grill was gonna end up on a Pontiac but for the badge? That the wheel arches were meant for the next gen Torrent?
I had read that also. Who knows. Right now, it certainly looks GMC, but with a few kidney beans in the front grill, and some cladding ;D ;D , it could have been a Pontiac.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The square wheel openings would fit right at home on the Aztek. That's one of the reasons I bought the Aztek. I really loved that car. If they hadn't abandoned it I would probably still have one. My wife loved it more then I did which is very unusual.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
GARYD said:
The square wheel openings would fit right at home on the Aztek. That's one of the reasons I bought the Aztek. I really loved that car. If they hadn't abandoned it I would probably still have one. My wife loved it more then I did which is very unusual.
Wife and I wanted an Aztek, but our kids said they would dis-own us if we bought it. They claimed it "hurt their eyes" to look at it. Looks list a BMW X-5 - but 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
At first the boys liked it, then they hated it when they got a car. When there cars were in the shop, the Aztek was a great car. ;D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Big fan of the red dash lighting, as we have had it in all of our past Pontiacs ... it is easy on the eyes at night. I do think that the Terrain did begin as the next-gen Torrent on paper up to a point where the designers had to make it "professional grade" ... if GM had put something close to the Terrain interior in the last gen Torrent GXP, we would have bought a set of keys..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did notice the red when I did the test drive and was not sure if I liked it; still not sure (have not received my terrain yet). I hope I don't hate it. I do know that when I test drove some of the Ford products you were able to change colors; I would have liked to have that option.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts