GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
RNOX said:
Limited to retailers listed. None of the retailers I use
Yeah, it must be a regional thing, or for independent dealers. The only retailer on the list that I have ever seen around me is NAPA and I never shop there anymore because their prices are so much higher than anyplace else.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I purchased some Mobil 1 at a store that wasn't on the list and they had the rebate forms by the exit doors.

Most any synthetic oil will top/beat Dexos specs. Not all blenders are paying the bribe to GM to get the 'approved seal'.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Notice that Auto Zone and Advanced Auto Parts are not on the list.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Other than NAPA and maybe Parts Plus, I don't think ANY of those other retailers are anywhere near me.

$25 for 5 quarts - $12 rebate = $13 for 5 quarts. That's a really good deal ! And you can do it twice !

Better be careful with the "gallon" jug. I always buy the 5 Quart jug ... didn't realize they were selling 4 Quart jugs now (that's sneaky). If it's only 4 Quarts instead of 5 they'll deny you the rebate.

Also, dwendt44 - was the store you bought the oil from on the rebate form you found at that store? If not, then the store is just laying out those rebate forms knowing full well that you WON'T get the rebate (but, of course, they've got their sale)...

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
That Advance deal sounds pretty good. What's a purone filter worth ($5 ?)?

I was telling a co-worker here about the Mobil1 rebate and he said he gets it for $25-$26 with a $5 rebate whenever (Advance - I think it was) runs their specials.

Meanwhile, I checked the NAPA online price for Mobil1 and, of course, it was a ridiculous $7.99/quart. So you're better off just going with the Penzzoil deal you mentioned and forget about the rebate hassle ...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Advanced Auto Parts has the 5.5 quart jug of Mobil 1 Synthetic and ANY Mobil 1 oil filter on sale for $33.00; their price for the filter alone for the 2.4 is around $19.00 (about $3.00 high). Why go thru the rebate process (I hate rebates) if you going to use a Mobil 1 filter (have use them exclusively for years). Auto Zone has the same deal except the cost of the filter cannot exceed $13.00 (I think).

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/Attachment/staticbusinesscontent/image/AAP-May-2011-Flyer.pdf

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
$13 to $19 for a FILTER??? YIKES !!

Right now I can do a complete oil change on my '97 Taurus or '02 Impala for $13 (5 Gal jug of Wal-Mart SuperTech + SuperTech filter).

But I think I'm gonna go synthetic with the Equinox. Just don't want to go too crazy. If I can do it for $26 and leave the oil in there for 6,000-7,000 miles instead of 3000-4000 miles (which is what I do with the "dino" oil), that would be a comparable value. I've got the V6 which uses the standard spin-on filter. Probably can still get one for $3. Might sound cheap or be inferior quality - and it probably is (technically-speaking), but this is all I've ever used on both the Taurus (200,000 miles) and Impala (150,000) and I've never had any problems, so to me - it's good enough...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
43sbest said:
Advanced Auto Parts has the 5.5 quart jug of Mobil 1 Synthetic and ANY Mobil 1 oil filter on sale for $33.00; their price for the filter alone for the 2.4 is around $19.00 (about $3.00 high). Why go thru the rebate process (I hate rebates) if you going to use a Mobil 1 filter (have use them exclusively for years). Auto Zone has the same deal except the cost of the filter cannot exceed $13.00 (I think).

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/Attachment/staticbusinesscontent/image/AAP-May-2011-Flyer.pdf
For $5 less get the Penziol Syn and a Pure one filter.

A couple of months ago I bought 3 sets of Castrol syn blend (5 quarts) and pureone filters for $19.99. That deal is now $21.99.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
How 'bout the Peak "Full Synthetic" quarts for $4 each at Advance? Then I could do a "synthetic" oil change for LESS THAN double my current $13 "dino" oil changes. That would REALLY be a good deal !!

But maybe this is "blended" or recycled stuff (as I assume the Castrol oil you bought was)? Was the Castrol deal from Advance also?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Looks like Peak is on the list (but maybe not the $4 Peak in the Advance flyer?).

So it's Mobil1, Peak, Pennzoil, and Quaker State (of the well-known brand names). I see "Coastal" is listed ... I wonder if that's the same stuff that is sold at AutoZone. I've put Coastal-brand Dexron/Mercon V transmission fluid in my Taurus the last two transfusions. Maybe AutoZone sells Coastal Dexos-approved oil now?

As for the rest on that list (North American anyway)... never heard of any of them and I wouldn't know where to find 'em either...

·
Registered
216 Posts
RNOX said:
For $5 less get the Penziol Syn and a Pure one filter.

A couple of months ago I bought 3 sets of Castrol syn blend (5 quarts) and pureone filters for $19.99. That deal is now $21.99.
I'll spend the $5 or whatever and get the Mobil 1---------been using nothing else for years. Although the Pureone is rated as one of the best filters because of the large amount of filter material I wouldn't leave one in for more than 3,000 miles. Due to the large amount of filter material it may restrict oil flow and reduce oil pressure (the 2.4 likes good oil pressure) if left in for a longer period of time. Simple solution if you use them just change the filter every 3,000 miles.

Everyone here is spending around $24,000 to $30,000 + for a new vehicle and trying to save a few dollars a year for oil changes; why not use the best-------------go figure!!!!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Well, for the record, I "only" spent $20,700 (cash) out-the-door for my 2011 V6 Equinox 1LT, but even if I HAD spent $30,000 or more, that doesn't mean that I would then feel compelled to purchase the most expensive oil changes I could find.

If someone wants to try to convince me that I should be putting Mobil1 in my Equinox, I'm all ears. Let's hear it. And don't tell me I'm going to get better gas mileage because I saw one bottle of 0W-30 (I think it was) that claimed a 2% increase in mileage and that's only a 1/2 mile per gallon increase on a 25 mpg vehicle. Not even noticeable, and certainly could not be attributed to the oil given that different people might be driving the vehicle (and under constantly changing conditions).

Sythetic oil reduces the number of oil changes you need to do. That's about it as far as I can see. I'll be using some brand of sythetic because it's (dubiously) required by the manufacturer. But I'm probably going with the least expensive stuff because I've got 600,000 miles on three cars that says there's no need to do anything more than that...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Colt Hero said:
Well, for the record, I "only" spent $20,700 (cash) out-the-door for my 2011 V6 Equinox 1LT, but even if I HAD spent $30,000 or more, that doesn't mean that I would then feel compelled to purchase the most expensive oil changes I could find.

If someone wants to try to convince me that I should be putting Mobil1 in my Equinox, I'm all ears. Let's hear it. And don't tell me I'm going to get better gas mileage because I saw one bottle of 0W-30 (I think it was) that claimed a 2% increase in mileage and that's only a 1/2 mile per gallon increase on a 25 mpg vehicle. Not even noticeable, and certainly could not be attributed to the oil given that different people might be driving the vehicle (and under constantly changing conditions).

Sythetic oil reduces the number of oil changes you need to do. That's about it as far as I can see. I'll be using some brand of sythetic because it's (dubiously) required by the manufacturer. But I'm probably going with the least expensive stuff because I've got 600,000 miles on three cars that says there's no need to do anything more than that...
That's a great deal considering the base car with the V6 has a sticker price in the neighborhood of $26,500.
I'll continue to use Mobil 1 and you (and everyone else) will use what they want---------simple as that.

·
Registered
978 Posts
43sbest said:
That's a great deal considering the base car with the V6 has a sticker price in the neighborhood of $26,500.
I'll continue to use Mobil 1 and you (and everyone else) will use what they want---------simple as that.
Poetic License: Here is the "real story"...

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=959.msg28218#msg28218

Colt Hero said:
2011 1LT "stripped" V6 (purchased Feb 2011)

- 18" machined wheels (forced down my throat as part of a package)
- Pioneer stereo system (same comment)

MSRP: $26,815

Invoice: ~$25,400

Negotiated: ~$25,400

Discounts: $1000 Loyalty, $4200 GM Dollars/Points

Out the door: $20,200 + stupid (but relatively small) dealer fee + tax, tag, title = $20,700

Worst car deal I've ever cut. Invoice figures are bogus propaganda put out by GM, but you can't do anything about it. Expect the dealer to cry poverty as he sells you this overpriced vehicle and makes a nice profit from it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts