Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not sure if it is working - don't use it very often

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're are experiencing some pretty serious problems with our 2010 Terrian, where the rear defroster fails to work if the battery runs down past 70%. (there is a thread ongoing).

GMC acknowledges there is an issue, but claims there is no fix but to drive more, charge you battery more etc. We are trying to gauge the magnitude of the isue so we can press GMC to make a fix sooner rather than later.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I think that this is something that GM really needs to look into. I noticed that the battery is just a regular type battery and we might need a high performance one.

My wife doesnt really use the defogger often enough to notice an issue. It could also be a software problem with the battery monitoring program.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Please read and make note of the GM customer contact numbers in this thread...

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=1792.msg22630#new

There are now several Terrain owners who are experiencing this Defogger problem..who knows how many are not members of this Forum who are also experiencing defogger/battery problems...
??

Lets bug the heck out of GMC so they can give their engineers something to work on instead of working on their Christmas Bonus's.....:)

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Do we need another bin for the poll - "I'm not sure if it is working - don't use it very often".

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
bballr4567 said:
I think that this is something that GM really needs to look into. I noticed that the battery is just a regular type battery and we might need a high performance one.

My wife doesnt really use the defogger often enough to notice an issue. It could also be a software problem with the battery monitoring program. [/color]
I'd tend to agree with that, lower the % to 50 or 60 perhaps?
Also, there's been some good points raised that perhaps something else should be sacrificed in the case of a low battery situation.
Rear defroster is a safety concern.
Should be a quick programming fix, IMO.

RIT333 said:
Do we need another bin for the poll - "I'm not sure if it is working - don't use it very often".[/color]
That's what I'd select in a poll.
Don't drive our Terrain enough to notice, but it sure would suck to experience "first hand", especially if the wife and kids were driving the vehicle under such a situation.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
gearhead said:
I'd tend to agree with that, lower the % to 50 or 60 perhpas?
Watch out what you wish for. If the rear defroster is allowed to operate when the battery level is at 50%, maybe the alternator can't keep up with the electrical load, and it may discharge to a level that may not start the car next time you try to start it. I don't think we want that. My guess is that the alternator is marginally sized for the electrical load.

If anyone has increased the headlight wattage, you may want to go back to "stock" until this "glitch" is fixed. GM may look for reasons why your car does not need an upgrade - IMHO.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mine has failed twice and has been taken to the dealership for repair both times.
It's worked fine for the last few weeks now.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Do any of the people with the defroster problem have the trailer towing package?

I think a heavier duty alternator is part of that package and may prevent the problem. (theory)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't understand this. Even if the battery is down to 75% after a poor cold start say, once the engine is running, the charging system should provide enough current to charge the battery and run all the other loads, lights, defrosters, seats etc.

It not, then I would say that there is charging system problem, probably the voltage regulator, that needs to be checked.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
davemason said:
I don't understand this. Even if the battery is down to 75% after a poor cold start say, once the engine is running, the charging system [size=10pt][size=10pt]should[/color][/size][/size][/color] provide enough current to charge the battery and run all the other loads, lights, defrosters, seats etc.

It not, then I would say that there is charging system problem, probably the voltage regulator, that needs to be checked.
I think the key word in your post is should - and it seems like it doesn't - the way I understand people's descriptions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Roesterman said:
Do any of the people with the defroster problem have the trailer towing package?

I think a heavier duty alternator is part of that package and may prevent the problem. (theory)
I had the towing package and the issue. As an aside, was out of town this morning, the outside temperature was -31 C, had the beast plugged in as recommended by the dealer. No joy, no working defroster, but after about 10 minutes on the road, with no accessories on (i.e heated seats) the defrosters started working. I presume the battery came up past 70%.

Francois

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm curious as to whether this happens more on the 4 cyl or the 6 cyl.

The 3.0 has a bigger battery (660 cca for the 6 cyl versus 525 cca for the 4 cyl) and also a bigger alternator (150 amps for the 6 versus 120 amps for the 4).

Just wondering.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Black Granite LTZ said:
The 3.0 has a bigger battery (660 cca for the 6 cyl versus 525 cca for the 4 cyl) and also a bigger alternator (150 amps for the 6 versus 120 amps for the 4).

Just wondering.
Model Type would also be interesting. Seems like those with heated seats ought to get a bigger alternator, no matter what engine they have. Do you know if that is done ? Seems like GM has the parts on the shelf to fix what we think is the cause. Come on GM, do we have to do your homework for you ? :mad:

·
Registered
483 Posts
RIT333 said:
Model Type would also be interesting. Seems like those with heated seats ought to get a bigger alternator, no matter what engine they have. Do you know if that is done ? Seems like GM has the parts on the shelf to fix what we think is the cause. Come on GM, do we have to do your homework for you ? :mad:
According to the spec sheet for the Equinox the heavy duty alternator and battery are only available with the 3.0 6. It would make sense to me to include the HD alternator when heated seats are ordered but that doesn't appear to be the case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Black Granite LTZ said:

Just wondering.
I have been looking over posts on this issue and it seems this is happening mostly on 2010's...

Is this also an issue with the 2011's??

I purchased a 2011 Equinox LT1 AWD I4 with the Driver Convenience Package 2 weeks ago I have used the defroster once and it worked fine..

I do use the ECO mode when I commute to work. I drive 90 miles round trip with 80 of those on the interstate with cruise set at 68MPH. I do turn off the ECO mode when I exit the highway, I do not like the sluggish feel on the surface streets..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Francois_4256 said:
I had the towing package and the issue. As an aside, was out of town this morning, the outside temperature was -31 C, had the beast plugged in as recommended by the dealer. No joy, no working defroster, but after about 10 minutes on the road, with no accessories on (i.e heated seats) the defrosters started working. I presume the battery came up past 70%.

Francois
Thats REALLY strange re the Rear Defogger starting to work after 10 mins on the road....The GM bulletin states that the Battery must be removed from the circuit for a minimum period of I believe 2 minutes to reset the Rear defogger circuit AFTER the battery has been charged up to over 70% "efficiency....."

Mine goes back to the Dealer tomorrow, Monday, for a "re-set" and another Battery retest and recharge....altho the nice lady at GM did say she had been in touch with my dealer and they hoped to resolve the problem at that time. Wonder if they will install a heavier duty battery?

Sure needed the defogger this morning however......Minus 18C with blowing and drifting snow....couldn't see a darn thing out the rear window even with the wiper trying to remove the ice on the outside of the rear window.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Black Granite LTZ said:

Just wondering.
Interesting Indeed. have the 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Used mine today on a 3 hour trip no problems. Helped melt snow off the rear and no fog inside. I don't like that it turns off after a period and the front defrost and rear defrost buttons are next to each other. I'll have to see how the winter progresses. I did find that you need the wiper alot to clear the rear window. One my VUE I had the rear deflector accessory which kept the rear window clearer

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mrmidnite2 said:
Thats REALLY strange re the Rear Defogger starting to work after 10 mins on the road....The GM bulletin states that the Battery must be removed from the circuit for a minimum period of I believe 2 minutes to reset the Rear defogger circuit AFTER the battery has been charged up to over 70% "efficiency....."

Mine goes back to the Dealer tomorrow, Monday, for a "re-set" and another Battery retest and recharge....altho the nice lady at GM did say she had been in touch with my dealer and they hoped to resolve the problem at that time. Wonder if they will install a heavier duty battery?

Sure needed the defogger this morning however......Minus 18C with blowing and drifting snow....couldn't see a darn thing out the rear window even with the wiper trying to remove the ice on the outside of the rear window.....
Well, i did turn it off once I knew it wasn't working and I am pretty sure it worked after a while when I tried it, but I suppose it *could* have been the inside temp warmed up enough for the window to defrost, but it was -31 without the wind.

Let me know, I am intrigued by the alternator sizing 4 cyl vs 6 cyl. But I do have a towing package (came with the rest of the options) and battery Run down, which they say is only on the 6's..

Couldn't get the frost off with a scraper this morning.

Francois

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Roesterman said:

From GMC

Trailer Towing Package $515

* 4 Pin Harness Connector
* Trailer Hitch Receiver

This option features:

* Trailer towing capability
* Wiring harness
* Class II rating
* Trailer hitch

Unfortunately no larger battery or alternator, interestingly enough you shouldn't be able to get it with a 4 cylinder engine, but that's what i have..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts