GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was under the impression that there were rear view camera guide lines that display the vehicles direction and path while in reverse. are they only for vehicles with the nav system and not for vehicles with the rear view mirrior mounted display? are they still a feature for the 2011 models?

ive been toying around trying to figure this out and the manual isnt any help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Yes, only for vehicles with the navigation system.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
931 Posts
Well...my wifes 2011 Equinox LTZ has a center guide line in rear backup camera..and she doesn't have Nav...if that's what you are talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Really? Then it's new for '11 because my old Terrain w/o nav had no lines whatsoever...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
931 Posts
Terrain said:
Really? Then it's new for '11 because my old Terrain w/o nav had no lines whatsoever...
Yeah..I noticed it when we first brought her Equinox home. A center line in cam appears and lines up with center of driveway as we back up. Disappears if we are off center. I'm still getting use to relying on it..first backup camera we've had on a vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Wow, just checked my rear view camera in the rear view mirror and it does not have that feature (2011 Equinox).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
931 Posts
martdesr said:
Wow, just checked my rear view camera in the rear view mirror and it does not have that feature (2011 Equinox).
It 'does not'..?
Wow...ours sure does! I think it was built the first week of production..and arrived at the Dealship Aug 23. We picked it up that day. Our driveway does have objects on each side(fence on one side..RR tie on other)...perhaps that's the key to that center line in the rear view mirror. If we back down the center of our driveway..the center line appears...but if we are at somewhat of an angle it disappears. Maybe the camera needs something to center itself with..(?)?? Honestly..I haven't noticed if it appears when backing in other places. It is very apparent when we back out of our driveway every day. Really a neat feature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,271 Posts
IceMan said:
It 'does not'..?
Wow...ours sure does! I think it was built the first week of production..and arrived at the Dealship Aug 23. We picked it up that day. Our driveway does have objects on each side(fence on one side..RR tie on other)...perhaps that's the key to that center line in the rear view mirror. If we back down the center of our driveway..the center line appears...but if we are at somewhat of an angle it disappears. Maybe the camera needs something to center itself with..(?)?? Honestly..I haven't noticed if it appears when backing in other places. It is very apparent when we back out of our driveway every day. Really a neat feature.
And it just might be reflection from the sun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i figured it was a feature that you could toggle on and off. in the manual it says how to toggle the feature, but I'm pretty sure its only for the nav system because there is no "display" option tab when you hit the "config" button on systems without the nav.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
931 Posts
Well...I can assure you that our 2011 Equinox has a guideline feature in the rearview mirror..even though we do not have Nav. However..it is always on. I haven't checked the manual to see if it will toggle off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,528 Posts
It would have to be a very intelligent system if it could "know" where you want to be backing up, and turn off the lines when you were off-track, as you described. I'm going to have to vote for "Sun-reflection".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
931 Posts
RIT333 said:
It would have to be a very intelligent system if it could "know" where you want to be backing up, and turn off the lines when you were off-track, as you described. I'm going to have to vote for "Sun-reflection".
Well....seems I'm being labeled a liar.
Tell you what I will do. Wife gets home from work around 5:30..or 6(Indiana time). I'll go out and take a pic of the very evident guideline in her rearview mirror while backing down our driveway. Guess I should also take a pic of the radio screen to show that she doesn't have a Nav.,either. Wonder if that will earn me an apology?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Yep. The old "this thread is useless without pics!!" routine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,528 Posts
IceMan said:
Well....seems I'm being labeled a liar.

Wonder if that will earn me an apology?
I apologize if you think I am calling you a LIAR. I am merely stating my doubts in your interpretation of what you have seen. I feel that a "liar" is someone who intentially tells a fib in order to trick someone. I do not think that you are doing this.

Again, my aplogies...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
IceMan said:
Well....seems I'm being labeled a liar.
Tell you what I will do. Wife gets home from work around 5:30..or 6(Indiana time). I'll go out and take a pic of the very evident guideline in her rearview mirror while backing down our driveway. Guess I should also take a pic of the radio screen to show that she doesn't have a Nav.,either. Wonder if that will earn me an apology?
Actually that would be really useful to me when I go to the dealer next week to pick up mine, so if you don't mind, if you could upload that would be great. Sorry if it's bother.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Just to confirm my 2010 Nox does NOT have the guide lines in the mirror. If the 2011's do I hope its just a simple flash of the computer and they can be added.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
931 Posts
Well..when I'm wrong...I'm wrong.
Now I must apologize.
For the past several weeks (since we got this CUV)...this line(in first pic) on the screen in the mirror has been centered with our driveway and on screen. When we were not straight with center of driveway..it would disappear(as in second pic)..leading us to believe it was indeed a guideline on the screen. When a sun reflection or glare was mentioned...well I thought...that is silly! However today..the line was off centered...(not centered as usual)...so I pulled out and backed the other direction into driveway. Guess what!...no line in screen image.
So...fourmoremarine was absolutely right! It was a glare each day..on the outside camera. Sounds silly as hell...but look at first pic of the image on screen in rear view. If it was centered in screen(like it has been)and centered with driveway...it did work as a guideline...even disappearing if Equinox wasn't centered with driveway(the angle of glare changed). Comeon...quit laughing...will ya!



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
I can see how that mistake was made, that glare does look like a perfect guide line straight up and down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
Before everybody gets upset. Has anyone thought that the line only pops up when the wheels are turned straight. Maybe a reference line?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top