GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also wanted to ask if any reps from GM or Chevy on the 2011 Terrain, the rear suspension in -20 Celcuis perform rather poorly to the point of a knocking noise when hitting a bump, and the ride is alot harder on the vehicle when it gets this cold. What type of suspension do they put in these new vehicles?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Not a GM rep, but can't remember any of my various vehicles in the lat 40 or so years of driving that didn't have strange noises of ride issues when the temp got cold enough.

·
Registered
441 Posts
thats what happens when pneumatic shocks reach a certain temp, and when rubber freezes.....

hell thats what happens to anything when it gets to -20*C.... now i'm just confused as to what the complaint is about.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a pretty expensive SUV, my Venture van has a set of rocker bars and shocks in the back only and they dont knock or ride as hard as this Terrain does.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It is common at those temps. The shocks and struts don't transfer fluid or gas as efficient at those temps. I really notice it with my vette at the start and finish of the Michigan corvette season- April-December ;D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
tmoreau said:
This is a pretty expensive SUV, my Venture van has a set of rocker bars and shocks in the back only and they dont knock or ride as hard as this Terrain does.
That is an axle type of rear end. The Terrain has an actual independent rear end and it travels a little more than that. To get the firm ride that many of us like they had to use a little bit stiffer strut and rubber in the rear. When the temps get cold, it takes time for all that to warm up.

However, if its making a clunking noise, take it in. That is what the warranty is for. I know a few people on the board found that they had a line rubbing causing a noise.

My G8 creaks like a 80 yr old ******* until I get a few miles down the road and everything warms up.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Simple thermodynamics.....when the temperature drops, things like metal, plastic, rubber contract and become harder and less pliable, while liquids freeze and become solids. That's why a lot of times you'll hear squeaks and groans from your car that you don't hear in the summer...and before synthetics came along people would use lighter viscosity oil in the winter.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would have to agree with the previous posts that this is likely the result of the cold climate. However, if you are feeling that this is something to be concerned about, feel free to contact your local dealership for more informtion. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts