GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Nox with 1400 miles now. It's been cold up here in Northern Minnesota and I'm having trouble figuring out how to keep the rear passenger windows from icing up. No matter what I try they fog and ice up. It's only the two back seat windows doing this. Played with all the controls, nothing helps. I usually keep the air on from the outside and not recirculated. Either way it didn't make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated. Sort a sucks when we have four in the car and the folks in the backseat can't see out the windows.

·
Registered
482 Posts
ironranger said:
2011 Nox with 1400 miles now. It's been cold up here in Northern Minnesota and I'm having trouble figuring out how to keep the rear passenger windows from icing up. No matter what I try they fog and ice up. It's only the two back seat windows doing this. Played with all the controls, nothing helps. I usually keep the air on from the outside and not recirculated. Either way it didn't make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated. Sort a sucks when we have four in the car and the folks in the backseat can't see out the windows.
Tell the rear seat pasengers to stop breathing? :) Sometimes it is moisture buildup in the cabin (little snow on the boots at some point or whatever). You could try some serius time with recirc on (as in a couple 3 days) to see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Leave the recirc on and turn on the AC. When you turn on the AC and you have the inside temp set high, it just dries the air which is what you need. Also, put the heat on the feet so that some hot air gets to the back area faster.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Here in Manitoba, which isn't that far north of you in Minnesota, I have yet to find a vehicle ever made that would keep the rear windows clear when more than just the driver is in the vehicle.

It's a fact of winter that would probably require noisy auxiliary fans and extra dehumidification. The AC does de-humidify, but not when it's very cold since the AC compressor will not operate at very low temps. Moisture is attracted to the coldest surfaces and condenses on them.

The best solution is to keep the fan on it's highest setting for maximum air movement.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies. We don't usually have four in the car but did over the holidays. Next time I'll tell them folks in the back seat to keep their mouths shut! ;D

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I've seen some Merecedes models that have rear seat vents you can actually point to the passenger windows...but most cars don't have anything of the sort. Seeing posts like this make me glad I live in Texas. ;D

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
well theres a trick
Using shaving cream on glass in a shower will keep the glass from fogging up...

maybe it just may do the trick to keep fog from forming and icing up.

I would try 1/4 of the glass... or a line, x or something and see where it forms and does not..

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
rbarrios said:
well theres a trick

I would try 1/4 of the glass... or a line, x or something and see where it forms and does not..
Umm..yeah. Or maybe some of those anti-fog wipes you can buy just about anywhere that don't leave a blurry film? ;D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Crack your windows overnight will help with the moisture in the car.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
rbarrios said:
well theres a trick

Yeah...but...that would defeat the purpose. Passengers couldn't see through the foam...!! ;D

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
well its worth a try.
put it on- wipe it off.. and see it if works. nothing to lose.
Id try it--- but the coldest it will get here overnight is 45 degrees.

·
Registered
332 Posts
batmobile_ws6 said:
Crack your windows overnight will help with the moisture in the car.
Right you are!

Here when it's -15°C to -35°C, the RH may be 50%-70% but when you heat that cold air up it becomes around 5%-10% RH. So if the vehicle is left outside overnight vs with the windows tight and then in the garage which also traps moist air, the difference in fog up is significant.

However the fact that we would be traveling down the highway at 60-70 MPH the wind chill gets to around -70°C to -80°C, thus the cooling effect is enormous. That and people are expelling moisture in the vehicle, so when it's real cold the rear will eventually fog up no matter what. It's a fact of life here in the winter. Then in the summer we can scorch our butts when it +30°C.

But the kids do seem to like to write their names and draw designs in the frost on the windows! ;D

·
Registered
332 Posts
rbarrios said:
well its worth a try.
put it on- wipe it off.. and see it if works. nothing to lose.
Id try it--- but the coldest it will get here overnight is 45 degrees.[/color]
Wow that's only +7°C.

I'll bet you have no idea what -40°C (-40°F) actually feels like do you? We still drive our sleds (and I mean snowmobiles) in those temps. It's all good!

I also know what +44°F feels like from being in Arizona & Mexico.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
2010Nox said:
Wow that's only +7°C.

I'll bet you have no idea what -40°C (-40°F) actually feels like do you? We still drive our sleds (and I mean snowmobiles) in those temps. It's all good!

Having experienced both extremes...which do you consider the worst? The coldest I've ever been is flying into Chicago in late November when a Canadian cold front was blowing across the lake and I wasn't dressed for it. Even then I think it was only about -5F.

·
Registered
332 Posts
NoobNox said:
Having experienced both extremes...which do you consider the worst? The coldest I've ever been is flying into Chicago in late November when a Canadian cold front was blowing across the lake and I wasn't dressed for it. Even then I think it was only about -5F.
You can dress for the extreme cold but in the extreme heat beyond no clothes, then what. We have both very good heat systems in our homes as well as 18,000 BTU-24,000 BTU AC systems. We skate and sled in the winter and swim in the pool in the summer.

But as I grow older I think I like the heat more than the cold! If I had it my way it would stay a nice consistent 75°F to 80°F year round.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
2010Nox said:
Wow that's only +7°C.

Ive never been that cold.
I live in Los Angeles. And around this area of LA.. the coldest well see is maybe 32. It was 33 deg the other day and my DIC cluster in my Traverse said to drive with caution- Ice Possible.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had 2 in the back seat today and noticed the fogging too, but only on the window where the most talking was coming from. Temps were in the 20's. I will try the Rain-x anti fogging spray.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I always have 2 in the back.

2 good sized dogs........and they always keep the rear side windows clear for me........nothing like a good dog licking to keep the windows clear...although they ARE a bit streaky from saliva goop!!!

LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts