GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
4,467 Posts
@JayTee2014 , @RIT333 : you guys should’ve reminded me! I would’ve done it ... and recorded it, too - for the Forum! I think my Nox is only at ~3,000 miles, but that would’ve been OK.

Now - back on topic ... Rear Main Seal ... I’d take it to Small Claims Court. You’re welcome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a question about the main seal problem. My neighbor has a 2019 Equinox with a 1.5L turbo charged engine ( I think). It says EKO TEC on the cover. Does this engine have the same issues as the 2.4 Eko tec concerning the rear seal?

Mark

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
@Mfrazier : feel free to search this forum, but I haven’t seen any major problems here with the Gen-3 1.5L. Unlike the Gen-2 2.4L ... which exhibited problems pretty much right out of the gate, the 1.5L has proven to be very reliable from Day-1.

Now ... will that continue as the Turbo ages? We’ll see, I guess. It’s still very early, mileage-wise, for many of these engines. Most of the oldest ones probably only have 60,000 - 75,000 miles on them.

Reactions: christopherlompoc

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
I haven't seen any main seal issues on the 1.5L turbo engine. There have been a few other minor mentions, but none that are chronic so far.
This engine is used on other GM vehicles as well.

Reactions: RIT333

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I haven't seen any main seal issues on the 1.5L turbo engine. There have been a few other minor mentions, but none that are chronic so far.
This engine is used on other GM vehicles as well.
Which "other GM vehicles" (??) ... and is it the same engine, or some variant of those engines?

You know how they like to make their own "mods" along the way ... even for engines within a particular model's generational run.

@Mfrazier : here's one Member with a Timing Chain issue on a Gen-3 Equinox ... but it's the Diesel.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Which "other GM vehicles" (??) ... and is it the same engine, or some variant of those engines?

You know how they like to make their own "mods" along the way ... even for engines within a particular model's generational run.
Yes, technically there was the 2 year earlier LFV used in 2015-16 Malibu and Regal and then the LYX that is the current 1.5L in Equinox/Terrain.
Then there is the newest member of the same GM engine family the 201 HP 1.5L LAH turbo used in China in the Buick Verano and supposedly others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Look in the back of your owner's manual. There is a (3) Step Procedure. (1) Contact Dealer. Take Down Date, Time, & Person Spoken to & Their Responses to Your Concern. (2) Contact 1-800-462-8782. Give Them the Issue & Above Information. (3) (if) You Continue to Unsatisfied after the Above Procedures. Contact BBB Auto Line Program 1-800-955-5100 www.dr.bbb.org/goauto But........... Give the Above (2) Chances Above to Resolute. Use Step (3) as a "Last" Resort.......... Use of this program usually takes (40) Days for Your Case to be Heard. Good Luck!!!! Let Us Know How it Goes. We're Here For You.
That's awesome info and support.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2.4L Eco-Tec Seal Issue...

Three things I found to help keep the 2.4L Eco's running

1. Flush the engine.....maybe 3-5 times until you stop getting black filters when you inspect it at 50 miles of a flush run.....AND change oil properly.
As the direct-injected engines were promoted as 'less' maintenance, there are in some ways, but more in others.
Too long of oil change intervals, with a high revving engine, that has a tiny little oil filter, is asking for trouble.
You NEED to change your oil at least every 3333 miles, 3x/10K miles. Personally, I bought the special oil filter cap removal socket and replace my filter(5 minutes max) at 2000 miles after an oil change, and then change oil and filter at 3333-miles. The filters by the dozen from Rock auto are less than $5 each, very cheap insurance.

2. Get the GM Pressure-Release oil filter cap with the built-in bypass valve for high pressure.
I believe this was made just for this 2.4L issue.
A bit of insurance just in case you have another issue.
When the pressure in the valve cover gets too high, it will, 'hopefully' release, keeping the seal from blowing.

3. Put in a PVC oil/water separator can. Sold all over amazon and e-bay. Less than $50 and a 2-hour install.
These should be used on any direct injection vehicle!
This can is put between the PVC line from the valve cover and the intake box, usually on the front frame where accessable. I like the smaller design that has the little viewing tube on the side, so you can see how much gunk the can has in it.
This catch-can will separate oil and condensed water out of the crankcase system, but still, allow the vapors to get recirculated and burned as they are designed to do.
These 'cans' have a bottom drain that I drain, and when I change my filter, just empty it into a cup using the drain valve provided, and you'll be amazed at how much stuff comes out. Mostly water mixed with a frosty-malt looking oily goop. Because it is a bottom tank design, it does not plug up in our frigid winters here.
It also keeps the intake stream back to the valves cleaner, keeping the valve stems cleaner.

I inherited this 140K 2.4L Equinox, losing about a quart every 300 miles and it already has the seal replaced.
Now at 183K & following the above schedule, I have yet to replace the seal (added rear main seal saver 3x), now I use 1-ish quarts every 3333 miles, and most of that seems to happen just before the oil change.... I can live with this.

Hope this helps,
Dean
Can you send me the exact model of the catch can and kit you had installed??? Thank you.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts