GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I understand your point brother. I still don't understand why a manufacturer wouldn't try to contact owners when potential problems such as this become known enough to issue those dealers their service bulletins. As I said, this has been the best vehicle we've ever owned. Absolutely no issues with it at all. Disappointing to have something so small maybe undo it all. I would just like others reading this to look at their own especially in cold climate areas.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
I understand your point brother. I still don't understand why a manufacturer wouldn't try to contact owners when potential problems such as this become known enough to issue those dealers their service bulletins. As I said, this has been the best vehicle we've ever owned. Absolutely no issues with it at all. Disappointing to have something so small maybe undo it all. I would just like others reading this to look at their own especially in cold climate areas.

This crops up almost every year when it gets cold, but particularly the last two because of record and far reaching cold .
Here are two threads with lots of info including a GM TSB outlining the issue and repair remedy.

That stuff under you oil cap is normal build up of oil/water emulsion and varnish. If you don't change the oil often enough or with a good quality brand/type, you will get those kind of depoisits. . not just on a 2.4L.
How often have you looked under the cap? If it's the first time or not for a year or more, that is how the underside will look . . . especially if whoever does the oil changes doesn't clean it off.
To be honest, it looks like an engine that gets an oil change maybe once a year or every 7,000 miles or more. That is not good. And if regular oil was used rather than synthetic. . .. that rustly varnish look will be worse.

https://www.equinoxforum.net/10-gene...se-vent-7.html

https://www.equinoxforum.net/31-engi...3-terrain.html

·
Registered
10,766 Posts
JayTee

I had a '69 Plymouth Fury with the 318, and the oil-filler cap always had brown milky gunk in it during the Winters, and I always wondered what was causing it. Now I know - 50 years too late ! Fortunately, I never had any engine problems with that car. Guess I should have kept it longer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 Equinox - rear crankshaft oil leak

Realize this is an old post but same happened to us. VIN wasn't covered even though car was same make and model as VIN - did a case with Chevy but nothing happened, said the VIN wasn't covered. The dealership told me to take to the BBB and complain. If this has ever happened to you, please file a complaint so they expand the recall and we all either get paid or someone else gets theirs covered: https://www.bbb.org/autoline

·
Registered
146 Posts
. I still don't understand why a manufacturer wouldn't try to contact owners when potential problems such as this become known enough to issue those dealers their service bulletins. ....... Disappointing to have something so small maybe undo it all. I would just like others reading this to look at their own especially in cold climate areas.

Indeed,
GM should
contact every owner
of an engine such as this 2.4 liter, 4 cylinder, Ecotec LEA used in Chevy Equinox, GMC Terrain and ?..
And
GM should
tell every owner,
that if they drive in freezing cold weather,
that there is the possibility of crankshaft REAR MAIN SEAL FAILURE......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Opening this thread back up to report my 2017 LS Equinox with a 2.4 just blew its rear main seal. I was quoted $1300 to repair. Did anyone here have success with getting GM to cover it even though it technically wasn’t warrantied? I’m over 100k miles.

·
Registered
2017 Equinox LT 2.4 FWD
476 Posts
Opening this thread back up to report my 2017 LS Equinox with a 2.4 just blew its rear main seal. I was quoted $1300 to repair. Did anyone here have success with getting GM to cover it even though it technically wasn’t warrantied? I’m over 100k miles.

Wow, that's a lot of miles for a 3 year old vehicle, sorry you're out of power train warranty mileage wise. Have you had any other issues such as timing chain, timing chain guides, cracked exhaust manifold, cam solenoids, oil usage or any other common 2.4 issues? I ask because my wife drives a 2017 Equinox LT with the 2.4, relatively low mileage at under 30k, not a single issue yet, but the bumper to bumper warranty just expired so here we go I suppose. I dread the day when the power train warranty expires. Sorry for rambling, but in answer to your question, I have yet to see anyone here posting with a rear main seal blowout issue report that their VIN was covered under the so-called coverage by GM for this issue, all I've seen were denials for this problem. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

·
Registered
10,766 Posts
I agree that GM should warn owners - we screwed up, so please do not drive your vehicle in cold weather !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of miles for a 3 year old vehicle, sorry you're out of power train warranty mileage wise. Have you had any other issues such as timing chain, timing chain guides, cracked exhaust manifold, cam solenoids, oil usage or any other common 2.4 issues? I ask because my wife drives a 2017 Equinox LT with the 2.4, relatively low mileage at under 30k, not a single issue yet, but the bumper to bumper warranty just expired so here we go I suppose. I dread the day when the power train warranty expires. Sorry for rambling, but in answer to your question, I have yet to see anyone here posting with a rear main seal blowout issue report that their VIN was covered under the so-called coverage by GM for this issue, all I've seen were denials for this problem. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
No issues with the car prior to now. I've owned it for just over 9 months at this point. I knew that going in it was very high mileage for a 2017, but I recently got rid of a 2015 Silverado with similar mileage with no issues. I trust Chevrolets to be reliable and that's why I gambled with high mileage. I've been good with maintenance as well. Unfortunately we've had a few cold days here in eastern Iowa, and that's when it blew. Started puking oil all over my work parking lot. If Chevy is going to cover some of the motors under warranty, they should be covering all, regardless. The consumers didn't design this engine. I feel like there may be another lawsuit against GM coming on for the 2016-2017 equinoxes as they reach these higher miles, although, I don't really think the mileage made a difference on this one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2.4L Eco-Tec Seal Issue...

Three things I found to help keep the 2.4L Eco's running

1. Flush the engine.....maybe 3-5 times until you stop getting black filters when you inspect it at 50 miles of a flush run.....AND change oil properly.
As the direct-injected engines were promoted as 'less' maintenance, there are in some ways, but more in others.
Too long of oil change intervals, with a high revving engine, that has a tiny little oil filter, is asking for trouble.
You NEED to change your oil at least every 3333 miles, 3x/10K miles. Personally, I bought the special oil filter cap removal socket and replace my filter(5 minutes max) at 2000 miles after an oil change, and then change oil and filter at 3333-miles. The filters by the dozen from Rock auto are less than $5 each, very cheap insurance.

2. Get the GM Pressure-Release oil filter cap with the built-in bypass valve for high pressure.
I believe this was made just for this 2.4L issue.
A bit of insurance just in case you have another issue.
When the pressure in the valve cover gets too high, it will, 'hopefully' release, keeping the seal from blowing.

3. Put in a PVC oil/water separator can. Sold all over amazon and e-bay. Less than $50 and a 2-hour install.
These should be used on any direct injection vehicle!
This can is put between the PVC line from the valve cover and the intake box, usually on the front frame where accessable. I like the smaller design that has the little viewing tube on the side, so you can see how much gunk the can has in it.
This catch-can will separate oil and condensed water out of the crankcase system, but still, allow the vapors to get recirculated and burned as they are designed to do.
These 'cans' have a bottom drain that I drain, and when I change my filter, just empty it into a cup using the drain valve provided, and you'll be amazed at how much stuff comes out. Mostly water mixed with a frosty-malt looking oily goop. Because it is a bottom tank design, it does not plug up in our frigid winters here.
It also keeps the intake stream back to the valves cleaner, keeping the valve stems cleaner.

I inherited this 140K 2.4L Equinox, losing about a quart every 300 miles and it already has the seal replaced.
Now at 183K & following the above schedule, I have yet to replace the seal (added rear main seal saver 3x), now I use 1-ish quarts every 3333 miles, and most of that seems to happen just before the oil change.... I can live with this.

Hope this helps,
Dean

·
Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD / 2009 Torrent GT 3.4L AWD
233 Posts

Three things I found to help keep the 2.4L Eco's running

1. Flush the engine.....maybe 3-5 times until you stop getting black filters when you inspect it at 50 miles of a flush run.....AND change oil properly.
As the direct-injected engines were promoted as 'less' maintenance, there are in some ways, but more in others.
Too long of oil change intervals, with a high revving engine, that has a tiny little oil filter, is asking for trouble.
You NEED to change your oil at least every 3333 miles, 3x/10K miles. Personally, I bought the special oil filter cap removal socket and replace my filter(5 minutes max) at 2000 miles after an oil change, and then change oil and filter at 3333-miles. The filters by the dozen from Rock auto are less than $5 each, very cheap insurance.

2. Get the GM Pressure-Release oil filter cap with the built-in bypass valve for high pressure.
I believe this was made just for this 2.4L issue.
A bit of insurance just in case you have another issue.
When the pressure in the valve cover gets too high, it will, 'hopefully' release, keeping the seal from blowing.

3. Put in a PVC oil/water separator can. Sold all over amazon and e-bay. Less than $50 and a 2-hour install.
These should be used on any direct injection vehicle!
This can is put between the PVC line from the valve cover and the intake box, usually on the front frame where accessable. I like the smaller design that has the little viewing tube on the side, so you can see how much gunk the can has in it.
This catch-can will separate oil and condensed water out of the crankcase system, but still, allow the vapors to get recirculated and burned as they are designed to do.
These 'cans' have a bottom drain that I drain, and when I change my filter, just empty it into a cup using the drain valve provided, and you'll be amazed at how much stuff comes out. Mostly water mixed with a frosty-malt looking oily goop. Because it is a bottom tank design, it does not plug up in our frigid winters here.
It also keeps the intake stream back to the valves cleaner, keeping the valve stems cleaner.

I inherited this 140K 2.4L Equinox, losing about a quart every 300 miles and it already has the seal replaced.
Now at 183K & following the above schedule, I have yet to replace the seal (added rear main seal saver 3x), now I use 1-ish quarts every 3333 miles, and most of that seems to happen just before the oil change.... I can live with this.

Hope this helps,
Dean
Thanks for the advice. Do you have pictures on how to install the catch can?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 LS Equinox 2.4L, and just found out that the rear main seal is leaking badly. I found a service bulletin #14882 that identifies the problem originating from a plugged PCV valve. I contacted the dealership and GM corporate and they informed me even though my exact year and model and engine have a special coverage for this they state that my VIN does not qualify for the repair!!!
I am looking at a repair in excess of $1000!!! Does anyone have a suggestion???
Don’t buy A GM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same PCV Issue and Rear Seal Failure

I just had the same issue with my 2013 GMC Terrain 2.4L Ecotec Engine, left my wife stranded on the side of the road when it was -20F outside. It has 96,850 miles and GM told me that it was out of warranty by 3 weeks and gave me a special warranty coverage for $600 to repair it. Problem is that after seeing the Service Bulletin 14882 and special coverage I feel it should be covered 100%. After going around and around with GM's "customer service" department the end result was being told...to bad, your VIN number isn't covered by the service bulletin. I've been a GM customer for 21 years and have owned 8 different GM vehicles during that time, the last three were purchased new off the lot. Rest assured, I will not purchase another GM vehicle if they don't stand by a bad product....
I be won’t purchase another GM product again

·
Registered
2 Posts
No issues with the car prior to now. I've owned it for just over 9 months at this point. I knew that going in it was very high mileage for a 2017, but I recently got rid of a 2015 Silverado with similar mileage with no issues. I trust Chevrolets to be reliable and that's why I gambled with high mileage. I've been good with maintenance as well. Unfortunately we've had a few cold days here in eastern Iowa, and that's when it blew. Started puking oil all over my work parking lot. If Chevy is going to cover some of the motors under warranty, they should be covering all, regardless. The consumers didn't design this engine. I feel like there may be another lawsuit against GM coming on for the 2016-2017 equinoxes as they reach these higher miles, although, I don't really think the mileage made a difference on this one.
I am going thru this now with a 2017 Equinox as well. Did you have any resolution?

·
Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD / 2009 Torrent GT 3.4L AWD
233 Posts
They are basically the same just different name tag and differences on pricing.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
You NEED to change your oil at least every 3333 miles, 3x/10K miles. Personally, I bought the special oil filter cap removal socket and replace my filter(5 minutes max) at 2000 miles after an oil change, and then change oil and filter at 3333-miles.

Hope this helps,
Dean
@Colt Hero should read this about 3,333 miles. It seems like it might help keeping a car going to at least 222,222 miles. ;)

Reactions: dno36 and John04VUE

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
4,467 Posts
@Colt Hero should read this about 3,333 miles. It seems like it might help keeping a car going to at least 222,222 miles. ;)
I do 5,000 mile oil changes (at most), using Full Synthetic oil, but they've usually been less - due to the timing with my long haul trips.

So I wouldn't be surprised if I looked back at the numbers and found they averaged around 4,444 miles!

Hmmm ... 4,444 miles on the oil changes, and 222,222 miles on the odometer. There's a kind of symmetry there ... I like it!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts