GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 LS Equinox 2.4L, and just found out that the rear main seal is leaking badly. I found a service bulletin #14882 that identifies the problem originating from a plugged PCV valve. I contacted the dealership and GM corporate and they informed me even though my exact year and model and engine have a special coverage for this they state that my VIN does not qualify for the repair!!!
I am looking at a repair in excess of $1000!!! Does anyone have a suggestion???

·
Registered
657 Posts
Interesting. That special coverage is for 2010 - 2014 years and somehow your 2012's specific vin is not....
They need to explain why. What is so special about your particular vehichle that it isn't covered when everyone else is.

Reactions: dno36

·
Registered
407 Posts
Keep pushing at GM customer care. the second time my rear seal blew I was told the same thing, that my VIN was not included but I kept going at them and going up levels until they agreed to pay for the cost.

Crummy thing is the seal is a $5 part, its all the bloody labour of dropping the tranny to do the work.

·
Registered
657 Posts
could it be where the engine/vehicle was built?
They need to be able to answer that question. "Why not his particular vehicle" and they won't have an answer.
Probably a stupid clerical error. Who knows.
Obviously this car has the same problem (design failure)

·
Registered
407 Posts
GM would not answer any pointed questions when I asked them why my VIN was not included, they just deflected. My terrain was built in Ingersoll.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Look in the back of your owner's manual. There is a (3) Step Procedure. (1) Contact Dealer. Take Down Date, Time, & Person Spoken to & Their Responses to Your Concern. (2) Contact 1-800-462-8782. Give Them the Issue & Above Information. (3) (if) You Continue to Unsatisfied after the Above Procedures. Contact BBB Auto Line Program 1-800-955-5100 www.dr.bbb.org/goauto But........... Give the Above (2) Chances Above to Resolute. Use Step (3) as a "Last" Resort.......... Use of this program usually takes (40) Days for Your Case to be Heard. Good Luck!!!! Let Us Know How it Goes. We're Here For You.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I jus had this exact problem happen to my 2012 Equinox. I was told it isn't covered because of the vin. They wont accept that it should cover my vehicle. My rear cap exploded on a major highway and it apparently also messed up my timing chain. I am furious that other equinoxes are covered but mine is not. Something is wrong here because my was not even leaking oil... just exploded spilling all of it out on i90 eastbound going to Chicago!
The also continued to deflect. I got through on one case because my vehicle also over consumes oil which I have that extended coverage... but not for this and it was the only way to talk to someone out of India that reads from a script.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It feels like the media should get involved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They need to be able to answer that question. "Why not his particular vehicle" and they won't have an answer.
Probably a stupid clerical error. Who knows.
Obviously this car has the same problem (design failure)
The answer they gave me for "why" my vin isn't covered is because only certain manufacturing sites qualify. Okay... but if other people from a different manufacturing site all have the same issue, why are some being neglected... and of course he could not answer and just talked in scripted circles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same PCV Issue and Rear Seal Failure

I just had the same issue with my 2013 GMC Terrain 2.4L Ecotec Engine, left my wife stranded on the side of the road when it was -20F outside. It has 96,850 miles and GM told me that it was out of warranty by 3 weeks and gave me a special warranty coverage for $600 to repair it. Problem is that after seeing the Service Bulletin 14882 and special coverage I feel it should be covered 100%. After going around and around with GM's "customer service" department the end result was being told...to bad, your VIN number isn't covered by the service bulletin. I've been a GM customer for 21 years and have owned 8 different GM vehicles during that time, the last three were purchased new off the lot. Rest assured, I will not purchase another GM vehicle if they don't stand by a bad product....

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2011 equinox with a 2.4 blew out the main seal Sunday night. Lost oil and locked up engine. 130,000 miles. Last 30,000 miles I've been losing oil. I told my dealer numerous times, they never indicated there was a known problem, or any possible factory recall. Now I have a $5,000 bill if I fix it. What to do?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I wouldnt be giving that dealer my money, and go somewhere else for the engine replacement. Its kinda their fault your engine locked up....

·
Registered
10,766 Posts
I would take up the GM Mgmt. chain - especially if you have the complains documented.

No wonder they call dealers, stealers.

·
Registered
657 Posts
My 2011 equinox with a 2.4 blew out the main seal Sunday night. Lost oil and locked up engine. 130,000 miles. Last 30,000 miles I've been losing oil. I told my dealer numerous times, they never indicated there was a known problem, or any possible factory recall. Now I have a $5,000 bill if I fix it. What to do?
Start with getting all documents from that dealer. They usually note customer comments. ?
Hopefully they don't delete those comments.

Although the oil consumption and the rear main seal blowout (from pcv freezing) are 2 different issues....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same problem with my 2013 Terrain.
It was cold out, 2*F, yesterday 1/21/2019, while exiting the highway, it stalled on the exit ramp. My wife was able to restart it, it was running rough. She got to her destination, and noticed oil was leaking from it. Upon having it towed to our mechanic, he determined that the rear main seal failed. Upon him researching the possible causes, he came up with the same service bulletin 14882, and advised my wife to call GM with this information. She called, and was told "I can not find that service bulletin", but she was working at that time, so she left it at that. I called GM this morning and talked to the same person. He told me that the VIN doesn't match that bulletin. I asked why not, and he said it wasn't manufactured at the right facility to qualify for the bulletin.
Not satisfied with that, I called a different number and talked to a different person, which was more helpful and polite, but was told the same thing. I was informed that these engines are manufactured at different facilities with parts from different sources, that's why only certain vehicles are covered. He went on to say "Save all your receipts, and your case number, because in a few years from now your vehicle might be added to this bulletin. And at that time, if the repair was done by our guidelines, you may be reimbursed then."
I have filled out a form with the U.S. Dot National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, letting them know what GM is up to. Our plan of action is to get it repaired and trade it in ASAP. We've been loyal GM owners since 1990, having owned 11 different GM vehicles over these 29 years, it saddens me to say that this will be my last GM. They know that these engines are having issues with burning oil at a high rate, and the PVC system failures, why doesn't GM just bite the bullet now, and include more vehicles? It's all about the all mighty dollar, that's why.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the same boat. 2014 Equinox. Ours is at the dealer for them to look at. But I'm positive this is the issue. Until this, our Equinox has been 100% trouble free since new. I keep it well maintained and it's so frustrating that something as simple as the freezing PCV system issue has maybe destroyed the engine. It happened very close to home so I'm hoping it'll just be the rear main and nothing more. Wish GM had given owners a heads up to check this themselves or have it done. Such an easy preventive measure, I hope all owners reading this will check theirs to prevent a possible catastrophic engine failure on their own vehicle.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
I'm in the same boat. 2014 Equinox. Ours is at the dealer for them to look at. But I'm positive this is the issue. Until this, our Equinox has been 100% trouble free since new. I keep it well maintained and it's so frustrating that something as simple as the freezing PCV system issue has maybe destroyed the engine. It happened very close to home so I'm hoping it'll just be the rear main and nothing more. Wish GM had given owners a heads up to check this themselves or have it done. Such an easy preventive measure, I hope all owners reading this will check theirs to prevent a possible catastrophic engine failure on their own vehicle.

Unfortunately, many come here only AFTER the issue.
These days, it's wise to research everything you buy from cars to refrigerators, washing machines and even televisions. Lot's of info out there, but only does a person good if they access it.

Question. . . how is it you've been here since 2013 and did not read of the PCV issue? It also had a lot of posters here last year at this time and much discussion of possible proactive solutions. A $10 to $50 oil cap with a pressure relief vent is one of them.

So many industries are focused on energy conservation and cost savings that quality in design and durability gets lost in the shuffle. I talked to an appliance sales friend of mine and asked if he needed a refrigerator or clothes washer what would he buy. He said he could recommend almost none and that any brand was doing good to last 5 to 8 years. Speed Queen were good till a year or so ago. . . many people did not even know they were around. Now they too went to a cheaper more profit making design for them.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts