GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please tell me this is not secured with adhesive pads. If so, they are sliding out/falling off on mine. I noticed it a few days ago on the right side (first picture), and out of curiosity, I just used my fingernail to slide it back up so that you couldn't see it. It wasn't hard to do, but now it's showing again.

Ssssoooo.... any ideas? Is this something I should be concerned with? It's obviously unsightly, and I assume that it's not a good thing to be able to see.

Oh, and I have absolutely no clue what this fin thing is called...housing for the third brake light?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,499 Posts
Wow - sure looks like double-sided tape. Dealer should be able to fix easily, but seems like a cheap way to attach, huh ?

I guess I would call it a "roof spoiler".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just checked mine and they are in place but noticed they only stick to the spoiler, not the car body. My guess is they are just there to keep the spoiler from rubbing on the body and squeaking. They are used all along the rear of the spoiler and if you put gentle pressure on the spoiler you can see them lift off the body (one sided foam stickys).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine is showing a bit of looseness in the install also.

aero-wing ? air spoiler ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I complained about that to the dealee. They kept my car for 3the days(yeah i know). They placed new adhesives in and said yhat they did not want to pull off the spoiler part cause its held by snap on pins. If they try to remove it then its a very high chance the pins will break and they would have to replace the whole fin with the brake light. Supposeably its a one piece

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, spoiler, that's the word I was looking for. Spoiler seams semi-appropriate.

So, they are probably just to cushion, not secure, and help stop noise.... Mine is 6 months old, and they have pretty much lost it's stickiness. Some idea that was.

Thank you pacman - did the new adhesive squares stay hidden better?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pacman said:
Still sticking however weather got cooler. I first noticed it sliding down when we had a heatwave
Hm, good point, that makes since. Heat makes glue melt. Guess we'll see how that goes next summer. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's a question, is that rear spoiler (the painted surface part) plastic and not metal then? I just assumed it was standard car sheet metal, but if it's held in place by pins, sounds like plastic. Is that the same for the Terrain?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jgroenke said:
Here's a question, is that rear spoiler (the painted surface part) plastic and not metal then? I just assumed it was standard car sheet metal, but if it's held in place by pins, sounds like plastic. Is that the same for the Terrain?
Yea, It feels like it's just plastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ugh, that's a dissapointment. I've been considering the Terrain as my next vehicle, (but as a leaser - not an owner as yet) and in my line of work I need to have a two-way radio antenna of some sort mounted on the vehicle and I was looking to that rear spoiler as a possible solution... guess I'll have to look elsewhere. thanks for your posting, I hope you resolve your issue of the floating anti-rattle pads.

Jim G.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
jgroenke said:
Ugh, that's a dissapointment. I've been considering the Terrain as my next vehicle, (but as a leaser - not an owner as yet) and in my line of work I need to have a two-way radio antenna of some sort mounted on the vehicle and I was looking to that rear spoiler as a possible solution... guess I'll have to look elsewhere. thanks for your posting, I hope you resolve your issue of the floating anti-rattle pads.

Jim G.
Jim,

I would recomend contacting your local dealer about your concern with mounting a two-way radio antenna. They should be able to assist you further and let you know where the best place would be to do this on a new vehicle. Good luck with your purchase and please keep me posted! Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greetings... New to forums so a little late but, to anyone who is concerned about a 2 way antenna for their Terrain, a glass mount will work just fine. I suggest mounting on rear side window / driver side. The defrost wires in rear window are to close or will interfere with the conduction through the glass. The passenger side is to often close to the sidewalk and a temptation for the IQ challenged who walk past the vehicle. That being said, a rear piece of plastic that they call a spoiler is not a good base for an antenna. The only thing I can see that the spoiler does is to assist every molecule of road dust, rain, snow and exhaust deposits to stick to the rear hatch. Lord does this thing need a spoiler that actually works. Other than that, my SLT-1 with Nav and Leather is great to drive. ( Just a brute to keep clean >:D )

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've actually had the spoiler piece replaced on my 2011.

It's all one piece and is a plastic. It is bolted on from underneath. Open lift gate and you will see in upper corners of lift gate. The rubber pieces seemed to be for vibration rattle, I think they get heated and dry out.

It's a expensive piece too at like 800.00 replaced / painted.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Has anyone ever removed theres? My rear washer hose has either broken or disconnected itself from the nozzle. I see the 4 bolts but didn't know if there were other connections. I believe it's been the cause of some rattling I hear also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts