GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am having my 2011 Terrain being built and have not gotten it yet, but had a question about the rear entertainment system. Can you play videos through the USB port? Whether it be using a flash drive or ipod/zune.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I tried that a few times also, didn't work. Though when in park you are able to watch a DVD, it plays while your moving you just cant view it, you only hear the sound.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
DVD plays while driving.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
GARYD said:
DVD plays while driving.
On the monitors in the seat back headrests, not on the front display, of course unless someone nice would hack it for us...
Wink hint G_P_r_x.
;D

·
Registered
626 Posts
Here we go again watching DVDs while driving...please don't drive near me! ;)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I agree with that. Texting is bad enough.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Most people can not drive let alone do something else at the same time.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
mnussbaum said:
Here we go again watching DVDs while driving...please don't drive near me! ;)
Umm, actually I was thinking along the lines as "for the passenger".
We have music video DVD's in the Terrain's glove box.
I can drive while listening to them (or radio, HD and XM are possible with the RSE of course) and have the common sense not to watch them if they were playing.

It'd be nice if the passenger could in some cases, but you're right, some would abuse it.
There are after-market players and even hacks for "in dash" ones already out there so it's not like it isn't already happening.

Texting, IMO, is worse, cuz you have to take your hand as well as your focus off the wheel.
JMHO.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm surprised it's legal to buy in-dash video players that operate while the car's in motion. :-\

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
mnussbaum said:
I'm surprised it's legal to buy in-dash video players that operate while the car's in motion. :-\
Yup, there's TV tuners, DVD players, the works.
I don't think it's legal to watch while driving, of course, but there's nothing to stop anyone from installing one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
gearhead said:
Yup, there's TV tuners, DVD players, the works.
I don't think it's legal to watch while driving, of course, but there's nothing to stop anyone from installing one.
actually you are wrong. All aftermarket in dash TVs come with instructions to install them hooked up to your e-brake so that it wont show video unless the e-brake is engaged. If it is professionally installed they are legally obligated to install it with these precautions in place. If you install it yourself you can bypass them (although its getting harder and harder top do now) like you can with the factory system.

When I was an installer it was as simple as grounding the wire that goes to the e-brake. When I stopped doing installs manufacturers made it so that if you want to bypass the safety you needed a pulse generator. I can only imagine what they do now.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Or you can get one if those dual view screens installed. But there is no telling how much they cost. I know Mercedes have them. And at one point they had and LCD tv prototype. But I think 3D killed it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts