GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Terrain SLE.

Am I able to upgrade to have rear DVD screens ?

If so, does this require replacing the front seats ?

any other info regarding adding the OEM rear screens... ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Re:

Would likely be much cheaper to buy two tablets for the rear?
Adding rear DVD screens has been discussed here before, but I don't think anyone had a good idea?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not in a rush to do anything now. This seems to be a high volume vehicle so there will be more 2nd hand parts available in time. My son is only 1.5 years old now. Another year or two and he might appreciate a DVD screen.

Even-though a tablet is cheaper, I'm still more interested in the OEM dedicated DVD setup. I'm assuming I can just buy used seats some day, and then sell my seats and not be too far in the hole ;D

I guess my question is.... is it plug and play once I have the seats / screens ?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Re:

Actually, you might also have to change out parts of your radio to make it capable to read dvd?
And though there are lots of these vehicles, very little of them have the rear screens. If you're able to salvage some seats, I'd try to pull the harness with it in case you need to route the video signal wires.
I don't think there's a Tech post on this swap in this forum yet. If you do yours, hope you'll share your experience.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re:

Chas said:
Actually, you might also have to change out parts of your radio to make it capable to read dvd?
And though there are lots of these vehicles, very little of them have the rear screens. If you're able to salvage some seats, I'd try to pull the harness with it in case you need to route the video signal wires.
I don't think there's a Tech post on this swap in this forum yet. If you do yours, hope you'll share your experience.
Not sure if I'm up to being a guinea pig for this project. But what you mentioned about the radio and harness is the info I was looking for. Thanks.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I installed a roof-mount Alpine RSE unit for about $600

It does cut the rear-view mirror visibilty down - but I can manage.

Personally did not want to go with the tablet route simply because I didn't want to deal with all the clutter of the mounting brackets, and then headphone cables, charging cables, etc. Plus having to hide everything when parked.

The RSE unit folds up and very clean looking. DVD's are easy to come across and basically allows me to skip the "sync" process onto a limited memory tablet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts